Author Topic: Canadian 1911 census search  (Read 6840 times)

Offline AMCass

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Canadian 1911 census search
« on: Sunday 12 July 09 17:49 BST (UK) »
Would anyone be able to look up a Mary Kate Mantell in the 1911 census.  I know she came to Canada between 1910 and 1915 and I have found a Mrs Mantell on a passenger list for 1910.  It doesn't say where she is going to only that she is joining her husband.  If this is the lady I am looking for, then her husband's name is John Thomas Mantell.  Mary Kate was born in Cork in 1875.  This lady is the sister of my husbands's grandfather and we believe he went to Canada to look for her and send her home!
AMCass

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Canadian 1911 census search
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 12 July 09 18:51 BST (UK) »
Hello AMCass,

You can view the 1911 Canadian Census for free at automatedgenealogy.com. Images are available by clicking on 'split view' at the top of the transcription. The images give more info than you see on the transcription. The unfortunate issue with the 1911 Census is that you have to look at each provincial index separately, as opposed to a national index.

Polarbear
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 12 July 09 23:30 BST (UK) »
When and where was John Thomas Mantell born? Was Mary Kate known by any other names (ie a nickname)?

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline AMCass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 13 July 09 16:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks I will have a look on the website and see if I can find anything.  John Thomas Mantell was born in Brighton, Sussex in 1866.  He was a corporal in the Royal Marines at the time of his marriage in 1895.
Thanks for everyone's help.
AMCass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 13 July 09 22:27 BST (UK) »
There is a John Thomas Mantell and Kathleen Mantell on the 1911 England census as follows:

Athenoeum Shepherds Bush, North Hammersmith, Fulham, London

John Thomas Mantell, head, 44, married for 15 years, born Brighton, Sussex, Steward Naval pensioner
Kathleen Mantell, wife, 35, married for 15 years, born Cork, Ireland, assisting in business
Norah Mantell, daughter, 7, born Deal, Kent
Gladys Mantell, daughter, 5, born Canterbury, Kent
Arthur Mantell, son, 4, born Canterbury, Kent

I think I found the 1910 passenger list you referred to and it would appear to be a different Mrs. Mantell/Mantill as the children's names don't match with the 1911 census.

The story of your grandfather going to Canada to look for her seems hinky to me (sorry I couldn't think of a better word than "hinky" but I don't know if that term is used in the UK). If Mary Kate and her children went to Canada to be with her husband, why would she need to be brought back to the UK? The only way that seems to make sense would be if she abandoned her husband and children but I assume that wasn't the case.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford

Offline AMCass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 15 July 09 14:26 BST (UK) »
This is brilliant, I am sure this is who I am looking for as Mary Kate's brother called two of his children Gladys Norah, and Arthur.  I think the couple did seperate as my father in law remembers 'Tommy Mantell' from when he was young but he had no idea that he had an aunt Mary Kate or that Tommy was married at all. He seems to remember his father writing to a sister in Ireland possibly up to his death in 1951.  It might also explain why he used up all his money to pay for his sister's passage home if there were children to pay for as well.  Andrew John Cassedy came back to England via the Canadian Expeditionary forces in 1915.
Thanks very much for your help, it is much appreciated.
AnitaC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 16 July 09 02:00 BST (UK) »
From the FreeBMD, possible births for the children:

Norah Ada Mantell's birth was registered in the first quarter of 1904 in Eastry, Kent (Volume: 2a, Page: 1113)

Name: Gladys Mantell's birth was registered in the first quarter of 1906 in Eastry, Kent (Volume: 2a, Page: 1113)

Arthur John Mantell's birth was registered in the first quarter of 1907 in Canterbury, Kent (Volume: 2a, Page: 962)

I don't know if this is the same Mantell family but there is a marriage of Gladys Mantell to Charles Carter that was registered in the second quarter of 1932 in Wycombe, Buckinghamshire (Volume: 3a, Page: 2285). There is also a death for a John T Mantell, 63, whose death was registered in the second quarter of 1930 in Wycombe, Buckinghamshire (Volume: 3a, Page: 996). His age matches that of John Thomas Mantell. If that is the same John T. Mantell who was married to Mary Kate/Kathleen then it would seem that Tommy Mantell was a different relative.

I still can't find any passenger list entries for Mary Kate/Kathleen Mantell after 1911.

Jacquie

Offline AMCass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 16 July 09 16:14 BST (UK) »
This family has a total disregard for birth dates and birth places so using different christian names is not a suprise, Kathleen was christened Mary Kate as I have a copy of her birth certificate.  Mantell is an unusual surname so I am sure John Thomas and Tommy are the same man.  I will have a chat with my father-in-law to see if he can remember any more about Tommy Mantell but he would only have been about 8 in 1930.  I will follow up the marriage of Gladys and see if this is the same family.  You really have been a star, thanks very much for your help.
AnitaC

Offline DaisyandFlynn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Mantell Family
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 23 August 09 20:12 BST (UK) »
Hi I have just come across your messages about Mary Kate Mantell and her husband John Thomas Mantell.  Their son Arthur John Mantell was my grandfather.  If you have any further information about them I would love to hear.
Sharon.