Author Topic: Canadian 1911 census search  (Read 6837 times)

Offline AMCass

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Canadian 1911 census search
« Reply #9 on: Monday 24 August 09 16:36 BST (UK) »
Mary Kate's maiden name was Cassedy and they are a very difficult family to find any information about.  Her father was John James Cassedy and her mother was Arabella Kelly.  They married in Calcutta, India in 1860.  They had several children one of which was my late husbands grandfather, Andrew John Cassedy.  Not sure what happened but Arabella took Andrew and a daughter Francis to Ireland in 1873.  She must have gone back to India and returned again to Ireland in 1875 when Mary Kate was born.  Mary Kate's birth certificate says her father is living in India.  Mary Kate marries John Thomas Mantell in Bantry in 1895 when he is serving on HMS Dreadnought.  Arabella is by this time living with her daughter Francis is Cardiff and she dies there in 1897.  John Thomas and Mary Kate are witnesses to Andrew's marriage in 1900.  After that, I loose track of them until theis new information from the 1911 census.  The family story is that she went to Canada when Andrew John was working there between 1911 and 1915.  He paid for her passage home and then joined the Canadian Expiditionary Forces to get back to France and from there home.  My father in law remembers 'Tommy' Mantell being around their house and family but he would have only have been seven years old when Tommy died.  He did not know that Tommy's wife was his aunt.  We think Mary Kate may have lived to the 1950's but we don't know.  She was christened Mary Kate and I don't know where the name Kathleen on the census comes from.  AnitaC

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 24 August 09 20:53 BST (UK) »
actually an extracted IGI file has Andrew BORN in Ireland in 1873.... oops can't read my own stuff...sorry it says born 1872, but not where...

Sharon, here's the site so that you can look for more information....http://www.familysearch.org
When entering information on a database, less is sometimes more to start with... then add what you think you know...ie: first name of mother only as surname not always used.then try with surname, stc...
Apparently these aren't 100% accurate, but extracted are at least transcribed from Parish files.
Asia IGI -Twins John Andrew Cassedy & Arabella Jane Cassedy -  Birth: Nov. 20 1862 Chr, Calcutta, W Bengal, India
Frances Rebecca Cassedy Chr.march 11 1866  /India Office Ecclesiastical Returns-Bengal Presidency, India

BI-IGI - ANDREW JOHN CASSIDY -  Chr. Oct 12 1873 Inishcarra, Cork, Ire
Mary Kate Cassidy - Birth feb. 26 1875 Cork, Ire
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 24 August 09 21:14 BST (UK) »
On this online query, Arabella's father is down as Alcock, and her surname as Webb...but she has Kelly as her surname in Cork births....?
http://listsearches.rootsweb.com/th/read/INDIA/2006-05/1148140423
http://newsarch.rootsweb.com/th/read/CASSIDY/2006-09/1158592821

If he was a hotel owner, she might have looked after some interests in Ireland...or perhaps it was her getaway...
with relatives...you could research that end of the history as well, as human memories are proven to be frail....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
just found this, so he or a rellie may have had hotel interests in Ireland a decade earlier:
Published in Cavan...Friday, 12th September, 1851
"The next case of public interest called upon was that of Francis M'MAHON, Esq., P.L.G., and hotel keeper, Carrickmacross against Patrick MURPHY, a servant of John James CASSIDY, Esq., also a hotel keeper in Carrickmacross."
http://www.irelandoldnews.com/Cavan/1851/SEP.html
FATAL EFFECTS OF INTEMPERANCE-- It appeared in evidence that the driver of a soda-water and ginger- beer tax-cart, belonging to Mr. CASSIDY, hotel-keeper of that town ..........more on site
http://www.irelandoldnews.com/Cavan/1847/DEC.html
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Offline DaisyandFlynn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 25 August 09 14:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Anita
This is so fascinating, thank you all so much.  I have spoken to my mother who is the daughter of Arthur John Mantell.  She remembers Mary Kate known as Kate as her family lived with her in the Rose and Crown pub in Woburn Green. Kate was then a widow but she remarried a german surname Schwin. They lived in Southend on Sea, Essex. She died in Rochford Hospital pre WWII.
If you find out anything else, I'd love to hear.
Sharon

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 25 August 09 16:12 BST (UK) »
This entry for an Andrew John Cassady in 1911 B.C.....says born Ontario, but I'm wondering as next entry says India...and Andrew was in Canada, mining, when his wife Daisy is back in Southampton....and he also gives 2 ages on two ww1 signups,  1872 & 1879 very close to this age...
http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/cef/001042-119.01-e.php?&id_nbr=92204
http://www.automatedgenealogy.com/census11/SplitView.jsp?id=60008

Offline AMCass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 25 August 09 19:48 BST (UK) »
Just to pick up on one or two facts from the other messages.  Arabella Kelly was married to Phillip Webb in 1858, they had a son in 1859 and then her husband dies.  Her fathers surname Alcock is his baptismal name - something the Irish do to confuse us all is take another surname for their baptism.  Alcock is a family name, I have quite a bit of information on the Kelly family.  I don't suppose you have a photograph of Mary Kate at all?  As far as John James Cassedy is concerned, I don't know when or where he was born or when or where he died.  On all family records he is listed as being a hotel keeper except on Francis' marriage certificate where she states he is the governor of a gaol.  More likely to be an inmate I think!!  I can't find any record of him at the India Office records but haven't tried the Irish ones yet.  Andrew John is definately on the 1911 Canadian census.  He was also involved in the Spanis American war in 1898 - a case of being in the wrong place at the wrong time!
AnitaC

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 25 August 09 20:10 BST (UK) »
The above John James might be the death recorded in here, and he was born & died too early..altho he still could have been related...There are 42 exact spelling of John James in here, but none seem to match...by all no means complete, I'm sure....but another resource for you to check through...No John born to William, tho...
http://search.labs.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html?datestamp=1207596135593#p=collectionDetails;t=searchable;c=1408347

Offline AMCass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 26 August 09 11:56 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that, it is a possibility although on his daughters and sons marriage certificates it does say that he is deceased and his wife is a widow when she dies in 1897.  However, if the reason for the family split was momentous enough, and they had had no contact for twenty years, they could just have assumed that he had died. I will follow up your comment because it could have been another reason why Andrew John went to Canada in the first place.
AnitaC

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 26 August 09 14:37 BST (UK) »
No it was way too early a death as it was before your children were born...I think it said 1865....He was also born 1803, but that matters not as many men can have children until they die of old age...
I was referring to the hotel keeper in Carrickmacross, whom this proves to be probably just a coincidence, name & occupation-wise...He dies too early to have fathered those children