Author Topic: Waste of a penny stamp?  (Read 2338 times)

Online Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Waste of a penny stamp?
« Reply #9 on: Friday 24 July 09 02:37 BST (UK) »
The recipient certainly didn't think the letter(s) contained waffle and would probably have referred to them more than once in their lifetime.  It's surprising how words on a piece of paper bring a far away loved one back into the room with you. 

I've lived away from my kith and kin for decades and have kept all letters I've received.  Maybe the 1950's humour might be lost on those that follow me but they might be interested in the lifestyles of the earlier generations.   I wonder what they'll make of the little pile tied with blue ribbon  :o   ::)

Rena   
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Cember

• RootsChat Senior
  • Perhaps I should record parents names and ages?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 24 July 09 10:36 BST (UK) »
 I wonder what they'll make of the little pile tied with blue ribbon  :o   ::)

Rena   

If they're interested in family history, then like me, they will probably raise their eyes skywards and proclaim "Thank you Lord  :) -but why didn't they think to put names on the back of the pictures?"
 ;) ;)
Smith-Somerset 1806
Oliver-Thorverton 1800
Fowler- Wooton-U-Edge 1780
Page - Wooton-U-Edge 1760
Bishop Wolverhampton 1795
Witham-Fyfield 1782
Attwood -Rowley Regis 1780
Perry - Oldswinford -1750
Edmunds-Oldswinford -1730
Warr - Dudley- 1758
Sowden- Cradley -1749
Ingley - Rowley Regis -1760
Attwood - Dudley -1650
Suthewike - Oldswinford- 1614
Jesty- Dorset - 1800
Bishop - Somerset -1732

Offline Cember

• RootsChat Senior
  • Perhaps I should record parents names and ages?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 27 July 09 21:49 BST (UK) »
I have another letter from 1885, that is really giving me a headache trying to read.
There are three separate pages  totalling six full sides of awful writing.
If anyone fancies a challenge drop me a PM and not wanting to waste space here I'll send you a link where to find the pictures.

This is a sample   ;D ;D
Smith-Somerset 1806
Oliver-Thorverton 1800
Fowler- Wooton-U-Edge 1780
Page - Wooton-U-Edge 1760
Bishop Wolverhampton 1795
Witham-Fyfield 1782
Attwood -Rowley Regis 1780
Perry - Oldswinford -1750
Edmunds-Oldswinford -1730
Warr - Dudley- 1758
Sowden- Cradley -1749
Ingley - Rowley Regis -1760
Attwood - Dudley -1650
Suthewike - Oldswinford- 1614
Jesty- Dorset - 1800
Bishop - Somerset -1732

Offline dennford

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 30 July 09 13:27 BST (UK) »
Apart from the content, I was very impressed by the handwriting (last one excepted). I remember at school we had an English teacher who paid scant regard to any grammatical error but was a terror if our handwriting was substandard. Fortunately I was able to make my script flow quite nicely - something that I have always done with pride. It rather upsets me now to realise that with arthritic fingers and a fused wrist, my writing is less than perfect - still better than most if I may say ;D ;D

Denn
Ford, Baines, Dixon, Platts, Peat, Proctor, Rotherforth, Dakin/Daykin, Sales, Beech, Hall, Parkin, Nightingale. ----- Harthill, Waleswood, Woodhouse-mill, Whitwell

South Yorkshire/Derbyshire/Nottinghamshire

Torremocha, Candog, Ramos, Reyes, Rodrigueus
-------Philippines --- Bohol