Author Topic: "Completed "Assisted Passenger Look up at Prov  (Read 5197 times)

Offline chrismar

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
"Completed "Assisted Passenger Look up at Prov
« on: Monday 13 July 09 08:21 BST (UK) »
Hello,
I need help in finding information on Mary Trevena 0r Travine age 35 widow, Margaret Langham19 and Jenny(orJane) Jenkin(or Jenkins)age33widowand her 2 children Paul 14 and Grace 12. They all arrived on the Duchess of Northumberlan( d is missing in the spelling) in January 1849.
I am primarily interested in Mary Trevena (Travines), but noticed that all 3 were married on the same day at the same church (3/10/1849) and their  husbands were witness's for each others weddings.  I am also interested in the list of those who had died as we think Mary had a relative with her, that died on the way to Australia, maybe  the name is Grace (not sure of the name). Any information that can be found would be a help, as I do not live in Vic.
Regards Chris
Boston Linc/Pocklington Yorkshire/Melbourne Aust/Waukesha USA: STOCKS Wales/Maryborough Qld:LEWIS. Stirling Scot/Qld:STIRLING.Houghton Conquest Bed/ Childers Qld:ROBINSON. Boxted Essex/Qld Aust:PAGE.Moraryshire Scot/Pukekohe New Zealand:WATSON
NewZealand:BIRD, BOOTH, HANDLEY&CUMMINS.Hertford: PUTMAN

Offline CuriousDiana

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Assisted Passenger Look up at Prov Please help
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 July 09 11:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Chris

For your information the names as recorded on the PROV records are Mary TRAVINE, not Travena/Travines;  Margaret LANGHAM, not Langdon; Jenny JENKINS not Jenny/Jane Jenkin, together with Paul and Grace.  All on Duchess of Northumberland.  When I could not find them by surnames given, I found them by using only christian names.   There is no other 'Grace" than the one above.

Diana

Offline tropicalj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • six grandkids
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 13 July 09 11:55 BST (UK) »
http://proarchives.imagineering.com.au/index_search.asp?searchid=24

here is the link so  you  can have abrowse yourself

Jenn
When you search for ancestors, you find great friends!
I live in Townsville researching
TOWNSEND,PINNEGAR, STRANGE, PULLEN, GRIFFIN from Wiltshire,,
SHOEBRIDGE, VINALL, BRINDLE, Kent
BAYLEY, Dorset,Yorkshire,
HAIR, Durham,
CUMMINS, BROWNLESS from Yorkshire,
EDSALL,  Cornwall,
MORGAN, HENNESSY, BAKER,  Ireland.
VAN REYK Sri Lanka
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.au

Offline chrismar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 13 July 09 12:39 BST (UK) »
Thank you I have fixed up the spelling. What I am after is more detailed information about these women, and because these women are assisted passengers, there is more paper work associated with them, as the government paid the companies to transport them. It would be helpful to find out if they had the same agent or they were to work for the same employer.
Regards Chris
Boston Linc/Pocklington Yorkshire/Melbourne Aust/Waukesha USA: STOCKS Wales/Maryborough Qld:LEWIS. Stirling Scot/Qld:STIRLING.Houghton Conquest Bed/ Childers Qld:ROBINSON. Boxted Essex/Qld Aust:PAGE.Moraryshire Scot/Pukekohe New Zealand:WATSON

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 13 July 09 12:59 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone

It was my suggestion for Chris to make a new request for a lookup at PROV for Assisted immigrant Mary TRAVINE/TREVENA.

Link to current thread
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,391913.0.html

Hopefully someone who has access to the fiche or visiting PROV can help her.

TRAVINE   Mary   34 years   arrived Jan 1849       Duchess of Northumberlan/d   Book 4  Pages 255/266

and also the following who were also on the Duchess of Northumberlan/d 
LANGHAM Margaret   18 years    Book 4 Pges 266/255

and

JENKINS Grace 12 years  Book 4 Pges 261/255
JENKINS Jenny 33 years  Book 4 Pges 255/253/261
JENKINS Paul   14 years   Book 4 Pges 261/254/253

Cheers
Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sarra

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 14 July 09 02:11 BST (UK) »
Chris,

I'll check the manifest for the Duchess of Northumberland, for Travine & Langham passengers.

Hopefully I will be able to get to the Library today :)

Cheers
Sarra

Offline sarra

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 14 July 09 08:55 BST (UK) »
Chris,

Information from Duchess of Northumberland - arr Jan 1849.
 TRAVINE Mary - age 34 - single - general servant - Cornwall - (rel) Wesleyan - read only - where it says Name & residence of Employer - went to Melbourne.

LANGHAM Margaret - age 18 -single - general servant - London (rel) Episcopalian - read & write. Employed by A. McLachlan of Melbourne - for 6 months - £18 - with rations.

JENKINS Jenny - age 33 - widow - general servant - Cornwall (rel) Wesleyan - read & write. Went to Melbourne - disengaged at own request.
JENKINS Paul - age 14 - single - farm servant - Cornwall -  Episcopalian - read & write.
Paul (age 14) & Grace (age 12) JENKINS are listed on page 253 - both listed as (Rel) Episcopalian. It says - children of Jenny Jenkins - Widow.

I don't know if anyone else has come across this before- the immigrants were asked if they had a Bible in their possession.  Mary, Margaret and Jenny all replied ... yes.

I could not see a death on board this ship, for Grace Travine/Trevena - on the voyage to Australia.

There was a death on board the Thetis (Feb 1849).
Wife of Joseph TREVENA - her name was not recorded.
If you would like the information for the other TREVENAS' on the Thetis - let me know and I will post them.

Cheers
Sarra

Offline chrismar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 14 July 09 10:10 BST (UK) »
Thank you Sarra.  The information tells me that Margaret Langham probably met  Jenkins and Travine on the ship, as she came from London  and the other 2 came from Cornwall.
I would really like to see the information on the Trevena families on the Thetis.
Regards Chris

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 15 July 09 05:45 BST (UK) »
Assisted passengers on board Thetis arrived at Port Phillip 15 February, 1849

Disposal list
TREVENA Joseph, mason, 27 , went to Melbourne, disengaged
wife - died on the passage.

TREVENA John, miner, 25, to Mr Taylor, contractor, Melbourne
Susannah, wife, 25
William, son,5

On the NSW Assisted immigration list it shows
Joseph TREVENA, 27, married, mason, native place - St Louis, Cornwall, Wesleyan, can read, wife died on the voyage

John TREVENA, wife and son are from Gwennup, Cornwall, can read.

I couldn't find any record of the voyage on either site - sometimes there is and it mentions deaths, births etc

Judith

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk