Author Topic: Watts of Pendoylan/Llantrithyd/Ty Draw  (Read 14696 times)

Offline dragonsheep

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Watts of Pendoylan/Llantrithyd/Ty Draw
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 22 September 09 12:08 BST (UK) »
hI Red Kite,

Yes Thomas Watts was at LLamihangel Place until his death in 1924. He and Alice initially farmed at Dyffryn Bach, Pendoylan. His parents farmed there before moving to Ty Draw. They were in LLamihangel by 1901 census. My g.grandmother was working for them, helping Alice with some of her 13 offspring at this date. She married Alice's brother Thomas Morgan a few years later. My grandmother spent alot of holidays at LLamihangel. It is a fairytale looking place and you can now stay there as an up market B&B. It was said to be haunted and she said you cyll ould hear rats in the old walls. She and her cousins loved it because the house was so big the adults could not hear them chatting and coming in late!

Edward Watts farmed at St-Y-Nill and Castle Farm, St.George-super Ely. He and Rachel married5-4-1850 at Pentyrch. Her father farmed at Castell-y-mynach, Creigiau and I think they lived there briefly with her family.    Castle farm then passed on to eDWARD'S  youngest son Thomas. This information is from the research of Thomas Llewellyn who lived at Pentyrch and was the above Thomas Watts grandson so should be right.

Offline A Turtle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 17 July 10 20:16 BST (UK) »
Red Kite
"The John Watts b1830-d.1930 that you mention, I have as married to Sarah Mathews. I believe that John was a Bard, known as Ioan Trithyd or Ioan of Trithyd."
This was not John Watts, Ioan Trithyd was John Morgan, my Gt-Gt-Grandfather.  His daughter Alice married Thomas Watts (1860 - 1924) and their eldest son Arthur Thomas (1886 - 1973) is my Grandfather.  Arthur also farmed at Ty Uchaf in Llantrithyd until his death when his son Parry Morgan took over.

Ty Draw is in Llantrithyd, although there is another farm of the same name in St Georges where I have reason to believe that a member of the Watts family also farmed.  Unfortunately I have not yet been able to determine which of the many Watts' this was.

If anyone with an interest in the Watts family is interested I have a family group photograph taken at Plas Llanmihangel showing Thomas Watts, his wife Alice, and (I think) all of his children.  It is possible that Enid, who died in an accident at Llanmihangel, is not included.  Will need to dig the photo out and check that.
I also have a photo of the Morgan family showing John (1830 - 1930) and others.  Names of others on the photo escape me at the moment, and i don't think I ever had them all.

Sorry that this comes nearly a year after the original messages, but I have only just found this thread.

Regards

A Turtle.

Offline Red Kite

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 17 July 10 22:32 BST (UK) »
A Turtle,
Thank you for your message concerning John Morgan, Ioan Trithyd. I noticed the error some time after my original post, and amended my records accordingly, I am nevertheless grateful to you for pointing this out, as I may not have known.

Should I discover which of the Watts farmed Ty Draw at St. Georges, I will of course let you know.

I believe there were three marriages between the Watts and Morgan families, so therefore I have an interest in the Morgan's.

My Grandfather Thomas Morgan Watts 1882 - 1942 was named after Thomas Morgan 1814 - 1887. Thomas Morgan, and his wife Margaret (nee Watts) had raised my Gt Grandfather John Watts 1851 - 1920 from age ten. I believe they were childless, and John remained with them into adulthood, and eventually took over Thomas Morgan's farm.

With regard to the photographs you mention, I will send you a PM.

Kind regards,
Red Kite,

Offline A Turtle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 18 July 10 02:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Red Kite,
PM received, but I am unable to reply to it - the "New Message" button isn't there.

Just a thought, is it possible that we have contacted each other regarding the Watts family on another web site?   The fact that you thought the Watts line had died out seems familiar.

I have just spent a week in Cardiff and  the Vale, visited my son who lives in the city, went round some haunts from my childhood, met up with a few long lost relatives, and took photographs of some of the places the family has lived in over the years.  Admittedly most are probably considerably different to the way they were 100 years, or more, ago - but there's not a lot I can do to wind things back.  I missed Dyffryn Bach, but got Ty Draw, Llantrithyd; Penrheol (Pen Yr Heol), St Mary Church; and Sant Y Nill, St Brides super Ely.  Ty Uchaf and Plas Llanmihangel I already had.  I also have photos (35mm) taken in the graveyard at Zoar Chapel in Bonvilston showing the inscriptions on the many Watts and Morgan gravestones and memorials there.  I also got Ty Draw in St Georges in the hope that I can find out which Watts farmed there.

The pictures of people, and of Plas, were scanned from photos owned by others and I only have them on the computer.  Any of these can be emailed to you pretty much immediately.  The ones from 35mm will have to be scanned first.  Please excuse me for being selfish but I would prefer to keep the originals that I have.  Mind you, with the ease of storage, and linking to trees, I see jpg's as being better than hard copy.  With the proviso that everything is backed up, and ideally more than once.

btw - I also have a copy of the announcement of the death of John Morgan (1830 - 1930) that was published in one of the papers there, possibly the South Wales Echo.  He was sufficiently well-regarded to warrant a write-up that covered something like a third of a page.  Also scanned so available for email.

Reference the family group at Plas Llanmihangel, Enid is not on it so the picture must have been taken after her death.

I intend to visit South Wales again, hopefully later this year when I have more queries that need local research, and will hopefully have more locations to photograph, in addition to the new one mentioned earlier in the thread.

Regarding the possibility of Watts at Ty Draw, St Georges:  Is this the Castle Farm referred to by Dragonsheep that has been renamed; have I been given the wrong info; or did members of the Watts family occupy both of these at some time?  As so often happens, one answer throws up several questions.  Glamorgan Records Office which has now moved from Cathays onto the University campus holds some account books and farm papers that belonged to Edward Watts of Castle Farm.

Regards

A Turtle

Later edit:
Castle Farm and Ty Draw are not one and the same.  Coflein.gov.uk has a description of the house at Castle Farm and it does not match what I saw at Ty Draw.

Offline C MORGAN

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 23 August 10 16:07 BST (UK) »
Hi A Turtle

Have just registered and seen your post re John Morgan (Ioan Trithyd), he is also my Gt Gt Grandfather, son William, son Edwin is my grandfather. I would be interested in copies of any Morgan pictures that you have, also a copy of the announcement of the death of John Morgan.
Thanks in advance
C Morgan

Offline A Turtle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 23 August 10 21:43 BST (UK) »
"Hi A Turtle

Have just registered and seen your post re John Morgan (Ioan Trithyd), he is also my Gt Gt Grandfather, son William, son Edwin is my grandfather. I would be interested in copies of any Morgan pictures that you have, also a copy of the announcement of the death of John Morgan.
Thanks in advance
C Morgan"

P.M. sent.

Offline alan o

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 21 October 10 11:41 BST (UK) »
Thomas Watts is my great grandfather.  My grandmother, Amy, is still alive and living near Cowbridge.  She was brought up in Llanmihangel.

Offline selena by the sea

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 21 October 10 12:26 BST (UK) »
hello Alan ,seems we r all connected to the same watts   :)  Kaye
freeman,watts,huntley,james,grinter,beer,sweet,hore,deacon,griffiths

Offline alan o

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 21 October 10 13:02 BST (UK) »

If anyone with an interest in the Watts family is interested I have a family group photograph taken at Plas Llanmihangel showing Thomas Watts, his wife Alice, and (I think) all of his children.  It is possible that Enid, who died in an accident at Llanmihangel, is not included.  Will need to dig the photo out and check that.
I also have a photo of the Morgan family showing John (1830 - 1930) and others.  Names of others on the photo escape me at the moment, and i don't think I ever had them all.

Regards

A Turtle.

I would be very interested to see the photos if you have a scan of them.

thanks

Alan