Author Topic: ***1916 census look up please***COMPLETED  (Read 8674 times)

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
Re: 1916 census look up please
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 14 July 09 06:15 BST (UK) »
There is an online ancestry tree for Fanny Willox which has more details of this family.  They use the same 1916 census reference as quoted here.

Siblings of James Anderson Willox were Fanny, Annie, George, Eleanor Frater, Alexander Stuart and parents Margaret Anderson and Alexander Minty Willox.

There is a birth at ScotlandsPeople for James Anderson Willox which indicates he was born 17 Aug 1893 in Buckie, Ruthven, Banffshire to Alexander Willox and Margaret Anderson. On the 1901 Scotland census, Margaret is listed as head with the children listed above in Elgin, Morayshire. They appear to have moved a lot as the eldest three children were born in Banffshire and the younger three were born in Aberdeenshire.

This definitely proves that the James on the 1916 census in Selkirk is the same James as the above family tree but different from your James.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline flst

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 14 July 09 09:25 BST (UK) »
Wow, what a lot of work has been done while I slept! Thanks so much for helping me! Jacquie has got the right info. James's family remained in Scotland & I have all the info on them. James's mother died in 1911 & his father in 1934,both in Aberdeenshire. I really just wondered about his life in Canada. He never married & I'm told he retired in the 1950's as he did n't like the idea of using tractors as he was very happy with his horses. He visited Scotland a few times & his ashes were sent home.Thanks for the sailing records,where did you get that info? As James arrived in 1913, I'd expect him to be in the 1916 census for Harding. Is all of Manitoba's census available to view? If it is perhaps his surname is mispelt? Linda, sorry this is n't my Willoxes. The surname is very common in Aberdeenshire but I do n't know of a link to this one - yet! I'm so pleased with the progress you've made.Well done!
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 14 July 09 20:05 BST (UK) »
You should be able to view the passenger lists from 1913 and 1919 at Library and Archives Canada. Their database is searchable by ship only and only goes to 1922. If you have access to Ancestry's Canadian records then you can view all of the passenger lists mentioned. Here's a link to the LAC database:
http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/passenger/001045-130-e.html
To make things a little easier, James on the Cassandra in 1913 is on page 15, second from the bottom. On the Northland in 1919 he is on the second last page of the passenger - fourth from the bottom in the lower right of the page.

If you have access to Ancestry's UK records then you will be able to view the incoming UK passenger list entry there.

Edited to add:  I used a number of tricks to try to find him on the 1916 census so I think he was either not home or was missed.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline flst

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 14 July 09 22:44 BST (UK) »
Thanks again Jacquie!
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline waiteohman

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 15 July 09 05:05 BST (UK) »
Hello Flst

The 1916 census for Manitoba District 1 Brandon, Sub-District 20 is not transcribed on ancestry and this is where your James most likely resided. Sub-district 21 is Woodworth, so it is possible Harding and/or Lenore are covered in sub-district 20. Harding is covered under Brandon for 1911 census, so sub-district 20 looks to be where your James place would have been included. There is also the case he was not at home or enumerated for the 1916. The only way to be sure would be to have access to the print census for the sub-district 20 mentioned above if it exists.

Cheers,
Linda
Dorman, Waite, Moore, Clark/Clarke, Neil, Rennie/Rainey, Brown, Mclean, Day, Millar/Miller, Gunion/Gunzion, Thomson, Black, Milvain, McCubbin, Steadman, Kirby