Author Topic: Fowler - Laurence  (Read 1761 times)

Offline tulipoo

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Fowler - Laurence
« on: Tuesday 14 July 09 08:35 BST (UK) »
The info I have here is lacking to say the least!
I am trying to find out about Laurence who was born in Ireland around 1823.
Where - I do not know. He was a merchant tailor and had at least one daughter
named Ellen.
Can anyone take me further.
I am sorry for lack of detail.
Tulipoo

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Fowler - Laurence
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 14 July 09 08:42 BST (UK) »
there's a few Fowler entries listed for Dublin in Thom's directory of 1850, which might be a bit early for Laurence. No tailors but there is :

Corry Fowler, 30 Anglesea St - silk merchant

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 14 July 09 08:44 BST (UK) »
Is there actually any Dublin connection (you said you didn't know where Laurence was from in Ireland)? It's very difficult to trace families in early 1800s and any clues might help.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline tulipoo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 14 July 09 09:14 BST (UK) »
Thanks for replies.
I will try to pin down a place of birth.
Tulipoo

Offline Jandrea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 14 October 09 14:33 BST (UK) »
Further to the replies on Laurence Fowler to Tulipoo, I am also looking for this person, my great great grandfather. I have now a little bit more information on the family, and wonder if anyone can help please?

Laurence's birth must have been around the turn of the 19th century, as a son Patrick was born in 1826 in Dublin (county or town not known). Laurence has the occupation Merchant Tailor on 2 Wedding Certificates of his children, Patrick and Ellen, who married in England. From his son Patrick's 1st marriage at St Andrew's, Dublin, on 25th March 1856, a Protestant wedding, Patrick is a sergeant in the Militia Artillery living at Pigeon House, Dublin. This I understand was a fort overlooking Dublin Bay. Laurence, or Lawrence as written on this certificate, is  described here as Gentleman, a very loose term I should think, as it does not fit with the occupation on the other 2 certificates. The bride was a Sarah Pratt of Wicklow Street, father Francis, occupation Steward, of what it does not specify. The Witnesses were a Robert Kelly and a Kate Anthony.

Patrick was then in England by 1857, joining the Police in Greenwich. His first known child was born that year, Joseph Lawrence Fowler.

Does anyone know where I can find information on the Militia Artillery please? Also, where is St Andrew's Church? I am at a loss as how to find out more now, as I cannot find Laurence on any of the directories of Dublin that I have looked at, from the mid 1820s to the mid 1850s. He could have been dead early on  of course, although Ellen was not born until 1838/9, or he lived outside the City somewhere. Or his business was not important enough to be entered.

I am new to Irish research, having left this line until last knowing it would be tricky, and having very little family information to go on. If anyone could help I should be very grateful. Apologies for the long message.

Judith

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 14 October 09 18:04 BST (UK) »
St. Andrew's CofI is located on Suffolk St/St. Andrew St, but is now a tourist office - see : http://www.rootschat.com/links/079y/  and http://www.rootschat.com/links/079z/

I believe some records for this parish may survive in the Representative Church Library in Rathfarnham (http://www.ireland.anglican.org/) - however I dont know which dates they have available.

The church is very close to Wicklow Street , so I presume that it was the Bride's parish. 

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Jandrea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 15 October 09 16:32 BST (UK) »
Thank you Shane for your reply re. St. Andrew's Church - I had been wondering why I could not find it. I shall follow up the other lead you gave.
Much appreciated.

Judith