Author Topic: Writing my History  (Read 4330 times)

Offline sharonf73

• RootsChat Member
  • Grandad : 1917-2008 xxx
    • View Profile
Writing my History
« on: Tuesday 14 July 09 12:16 BST (UK) »
Hi

I had an idea to write everything down that I know about my family history - whether they are factual stories or those just passed down.  I would like add in things like what I have found out through my research and how I came to the findings.

Has anyone else done something similar?  I'm not too sure how to put it all down.  Obviously my FH package can give names, places, dates, etc, but I would like to expand (and make it clear if it is "just a story" and may not be true!).  My idea was to split everything into four sections - that of my grandparents names - Fowler, Hendry, Morrison and Swanson and an introduction.

I also thought that once I had put something together (how long will this take!) I'll pass it onto family and see if they can expand or put in their own additions (and I'll make it clear that that info came from someone else).

Hope this makes sense and I welcome any suggestions which may be easier!

Sharon
ANDERSON - Galashiels, Coldstream
EASTON - Edinburgh<br />FOWLER - Yorkshire, Traquair, Pathhead, Penicuik, Edinburgh, Fife, Canada<br />HENDRY - Coldstream, Edinburgh<br />MORRISON - Edinburgh<br />SWANSON - Edinburgh, Lasswade
THOMSON - Currie, Leith

Offline PabloC

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Writing my History
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 14 July 09 13:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Sharon,  :)

I too have started to reach the point where I'm thinking that it really is time I started to put all of the information I've acquired into some sort of structured format...but it's knowing the best way to approach it, isn't it?

As you say, there's the method whereby you split your story into four branches, but then, how manageable (or unmanageable) does this become when working backwards and the need arises to introduce the previous generations?  ???

Recently, I have been considering the approach of starting with the ancestor relevant to that line who is farthest back in time who you have the most information on, then working forwards. That way, to my way of thinking (others may disagree?) you can introduce direct lines,and all of their siblings etc, and then their marriage dates as they happen by date, dropping in as much or as little information on their parents or siblings as you like.

Whilst I haven't started yet, I'm thinking that this method may read better. Does anyone else have an opinion on this?

As regards family myths or unverified stories etc. I will probably in the course of writing simply state that while such things can't be confirmed etc 'it is believed that' or 'according to family legend' etc.

Well, they're my thoughts on how to progress...just need to get started on it myself now! Good luck.

Paul

EDIT: I also meant to say that I'd probably intersperse the family history with references to other key historical events i.e. who the ruling monarch was at the time or any other major events that may have ocurred just to sort of anchor the family history to its relevant point in time.  :)

Arnold - Liverpool
Bennett-Co. Down, Ireland
Clisham-Liverpool/Ireland
Cox - Shropshire/Flintshire
Cuddy - Liverpool/Ireland
Dunne - Co. Laois, Ireland
Glue -Sussex
Guest - Staffordshire
Hughes - Co.Laios, Ireland
Jordan - Co.Down, Ireland
Lancaster - Cumberland
Manion - Liverpool/Galway, Ireland
Pearson - Cumberland
Vallely - Co.Louth, Ireland

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 14 July 09 13:10 BST (UK) »
i think starting a diary would be good and if you can remember things from when you were young that happened in a certain year would be more interising
and then include family tales in this also

for example
when i was 18 months old i broke my collar bone no-one know how but whenever i put my had up inthe air i screamed in pain although i stil managed to crawl around no problem, in fact i didnt start walking til i was 18 months as i had a big sister who would 'fetch' for me i thought it was a game
when i went to nursery my big sister remembers having to tie my musm shoes up for her as she couldnt bend over to do them up as she was pregnant with nmy little sister, i have an idea of all these years i.e. i know when i was 18 montsh old when my mum was pregnant with my little sister when i was at nursery and when my sister was at infants

so i would write down these little stroies and gradually build up - fil in from there

Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchive

Offline sharonf73

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 14 July 09 17:11 BST (UK) »
Hi

Thanks for you thoughts and suggestions.  Gets me thinking and brain working away on best way to go about it!

Good idea about teaming up with historical events.

Quite excited to start now!  Who with though, may be the Fowlers since that is what I am! 

Sharon
EASTON - Edinburgh<br />FOWLER - Yorkshire, Traquair, Pathhead, Penicuik, Edinburgh, Fife, Canada<br />HENDRY - Coldstream, Edinburgh<br />MORRISON - Edinburgh<br />SWANSON - Edinburgh, Lasswade
THOMSON - Currie, Leith

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 14 July 09 19:28 BST (UK) »
When I started writing my book I began with a gt.gt.grandfather I knew a good deal about both from family papers and from my research elsewhere. I started from his birth, with details of his parents and siblings, and followed his career and personal life through every census, filling in details of any known events and inserting photos and a few document scans and transcriptions, especially of family letters and wills.

I expanded on the bare facts with a little speculation here and there, and inserted odd paragraphs of general history of the time . . . eg. "... at 5 years of age he would probably have been unaware of the fact that the Tolpuddle Martyrs had been arrested just a few miles from his home ... " . . . then perhaps half a page about the event.

Once I had that chapter finished, it set the pattern for the rest . . . but I have a long way yet to go . . .

Mike.
Baskervill - Devon, Foss - Hants, Gentry - Essex, Metherell - Devon, Partridge - Essex/London, Press - Norfolk/London, Stone - Surrey/Sussex, Stuttle - Essex/London, Wheate - Middlesex/Essex/Coventry/Oxfordshire/Staffs, Gibson - Essex, Wyatt - Essex/Kent

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 14 July 09 20:23 BST (UK) »
Mike i have started that style book for my Holmans and Punnetts its constantly updated
Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 14 July 09 21:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Toni,

Addictive, ain't it  :)

I decided recently to forget trying to update the stories every time I find out something new . . . I record the information in my RootsMagic database but leave the "finished" chapters of the book alone for the present . . . my big ambition just now is to get the first edition finished and printed and bound. Then I will start on the re-write for the second edition with any new details that have come to light in the meantime . . . well, that's the plan anyway . . .  ::)

Mike.
Baskervill - Devon, Foss - Hants, Gentry - Essex, Metherell - Devon, Partridge - Essex/London, Press - Norfolk/London, Stone - Surrey/Sussex, Stuttle - Essex/London, Wheate - Middlesex/Essex/Coventry/Oxfordshire/Staffs, Gibson - Essex, Wyatt - Essex/Kent

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 15 July 09 09:34 BST (UK) »
Morning
because of this thread i started to write about my early days last night - then the PC crashed and it was all lost.  ::) lucky i only got up to age 4

Offline sharonf73

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 15 July 09 10:25 BST (UK) »
Morning
because of this thread i started to write about my early days last night - then the PC crashed and it was all lost.  ::) lucky i only got up to age 4

Oh no, how annoying!   I started mine last night too, got onto my third page and thought I've only done me, how long will this end up being when I start on the rest of the family?!

Sharon
THOMSON - Currie, Leith