Author Topic: Writing my History  (Read 4351 times)

Offline Stanwix England

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Hopeless scatterbrain
    • View Profile
Re: Writing my History
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 09 June 22 15:57 BST (UK) »
I'm really glad to have found this thread, because I'm in the process of writing up one branch of the family tree, primarily for a relative so they can see what I've uncovered. It's very useful to see how other people go about it.

I've written about each person as an individual, which does mean it gets repetitive at times, but I couldn't think how else to do it. I have lumped some couples together where there isn't much information.

I'm really glad I'm doing it, because it's pushing me to look at my research again, double check things and then uncover new things, which is marvellous.

The downside is it takes ages. This has taken me months, and it's only one branch! My aim is eventually to write up every branch, as well as my husbands tree. I'm going to be busy in my free time for the next few years at least!

One thing I struggled with was lack of images, because I don't have any photographs. So I've been using some free image resources online, which have old illustrations and stuff like that. That's made a big difference to how it looks
;D Doing my best, but frequently wrong ;D
:-* My thanks to everyone who helps me, you are all marvellous :-*

Offline BillyF

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My lovely Mum about 1940
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 10 June 22 10:45 BST (UK) »
I agree Stanwix, it "does" take ages. Some chapters I edited 3 or 4 times ! In the end I relised I was getting too stressed over it !

I found online some older images of houses where my families used to live, so included these. My grandfather went to live with my aunt in Australia for a while, after my grandmother died; he was then mid 70s. He worked for a time at a living museum as a blacksmith, so a short history of that was also included.

I also found a connection with my 5 x gt grandfather and Robbie Burns(not related) but Robbie visited hiim and my gt grandfather paid for R B to join the Masons!!

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 10 June 22 12:42 BST (UK) »
I am not sure if this has been said, but a book, in being a paper vision, can live forever and handed down the generations, whereas an online book lives as long as the domain name and hosting are paid.