Author Topic: *Completed* 1841 Census look-up SYMISON  (Read 9636 times)

Offline akc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • st magnus cathedral
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 Census look-up SYMISON
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 14 July 09 20:46 BST (UK) »
1821 census for S Ronaldsay has at Moger ( the name of the property): William Symison weaver 59, Isobel 55, John 27 sailor, James 21 fisherman, William 25 tailor, Margaret 29, Janet 18 and Isobel 12, so it,s possible he was a tailor if his father was a weaver?

akc
Dumfriesshire: Bell, Kerr, Dickson, Hetherington
Orkney: Cursiter, Peace, Drever, Cooper, Paterson, Brock, Leslie, Malcomson, Miller, Scott
Cumberland: Charlton, Young

Offline Macharskin

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 14 July 09 22:08 BST (UK) »
Thank you all for your comments. The Tailor Sailor issue still bothers me.

The scans of the 1821 census on Lisa Conrad's South Ronaldsay and Burray 1821 Census Project site  http://www.southronaldsay.net/1821/imageindex.html (page 40) clearly shows William as a Tailor and that is written underneath his brother John's occupation which says Sailor. As akc noted, their brother James was a Fisherman.  >:(

The death registration for William (son of William Symison and Isobel Sinclair) which I have, describes him as Tailor, the capital S in the surname and Sandwick are quite flamboyant and look nothing like the T.  The Margaret Symison death registration which I also have, gives Seaman M.S as the occupation of her late husband William, not Sailor as I said previously. (Ammended)

On the face of it it would seem that we have 2 different Williams, but the issue in both censuses and the LDS transcripts of the Orkney records seem to suggest it is the same man.

Are there any direct descendants out there? (I am researching the name for a cuzzie whose wife is a descendant)

Kind regards, M.

Offline akc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • st magnus cathedral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 15 July 09 20:46 BST (UK) »
A wee bit more info to add to the confusion; on cursiter.com there is a William Symeson married to Barbara Rusland in 1822 with children William b 1823, John b 1824, James b 1829 and George b 1832. Also William Symeson married to Margaret Taylor 1836 with children Barbara b 1838, Anne Wishart Symeson b 1841 and James b 1850.

akc
Orkney: Cursiter, Peace, Drever, Cooper, Paterson, Brock, Leslie, Malcomson, Miller, Scott

Offline Macharskin

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 15 July 09 22:56 BST (UK) »
Hi akc,

Following on from hume's first response I have been wondering if William married twice, first to Barbara Rusland then Margaret Taylor Symison  -  as I had seen the Wm and Barbara family details you mentioned on LDS (and cursiter.com).

Son James (10yrs) mentioned in the 1841 census would appear from his birth year to be the son of Wm and Barbara  - I can't find any other contenders. Having said that, I haven't yet found a record of Isabella's birth c 1829, unless she was a visitor (perhaps daughter of Jas and Janet Symison). Finding that and Barbara Symison's death date would help.

Perhaps William was a tailor in the Merchant Navy! :-\

Kind regards, M.

Offline akc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • st magnus cathedral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 16 July 09 20:59 BST (UK) »
Hi again,just found this while searching for my own folks: 1864 May, William Bruce, Cletts married Isabella Symison Blanster grooms parents were John Bruce and Christiana Taylor and the bride,s parents were William Symison and Barbara Rusland, witnesses were Alexander Robertson and John Norquoy,  also on same page in June, William Symison Sandwick married Jane Taylor, grooms parents were William Symison and Barbara Rusland and bride,s parents were Alexander Taylor and Cecilia Cromarty witnesses were William Bruce and Magnus Cromarty

akc

ps. Barbara Rusland, Cletts born 1797 parents were James Rusland and Margaret Couper

Offline Macharskin

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 16 July 09 22:21 BST (UK) »
Hi akc,

Many thanks for that very useful information. As Barbara was still alive in 1864, "my William" couldn't have remarried could he? The 1861 census must show Wm and Barbara too.

So where were Wm and Barbara in the 1841 census I wonder?

I am totally confused now. >:(

M.

Offline akc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • st magnus cathedral
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 16 July 09 22:51 BST (UK) »
Just checked again and William and Barbara were deceased when that marriage took place

Offline Macharskin

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 17 July 09 21:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks akc for letting me know that William and Barbara were deceased - the prospect of Barbara being alive in 1864 really confused things! ::)

Could you please tell me the ages of William Bruce and Isabella, and William Jr and his wife Jane Taylor, just for completeness? As I mentioned previously I hadn't managed to find a DOB for Isabella, but thought it would be about 1829 based on 1841 census.

As I revisit the records I have so far on William Symison, I noticed that on one of the documents I have, that of the marriage registration of 1863 Barbara Symison to John McKinlay, her parents were described as William Symison, Tailor and Margaret Taylor - so the 1851 census reference to a Fisherman seems, well .. em ...fishy ...

Regards, M.

Offline akc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • st magnus cathedral
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 17 July 09 22:19 BST (UK) »
Hi again, it doesnt give their ages, you will find them on the Lisa Conrad site you already mentioned!

akc