Author Topic: Fanning's of Cullenogue  (Read 17578 times)

Offline TheRedFox

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Fanning's of Cullenogue
« on: Tuesday 14 July 09 20:58 BST (UK) »
My Mothers father Patrick John FANNING was born 22 Jan 1865 near Coolgreany. I have found him on the newly released 1911 census for Wexford with his first wife Caroline, daughter Mary Ellen and son Patrick. I'm exactly sure but I believe his first wife may have died Q2, 1915

I haven't identified exactly when he married my grandmother Elizabeth (Maiden name??) but they had a large family of 5 sons and 3 daughters and their births range from 1915 through to late 1920's. All their births appear to have been registered within Gorey Registration District.

I understand he was also Justice of the Peace (JP) and as I also believe he may have stood for the Independents in the 5th Dail on 9th June 1927. Unfortunately I have not found any newpaper articles relating to him.

Unfortunately my searches have now come to a slight halt at the moment but I would like to try and reference any Parish records available for the general public to view. My own investigations have drawn a blank as the local catholic church near Cullenogue do not appear to have records prior to 1960, prior to this year the record are held at Arus Lorcain, Arklow but according to the contact I had there does not appear to be any records for the Fanning Family.

Does anyone have any local knowledge of the Fanning family from Cullenogue, or have any other suggestions which may help me move this forward. I have resigned myself of having to travel over to Wexford at some stage to further my search.

Offline Oaks and Acorns

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Fanning's of Cullenogue
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 15 July 09 02:01 BST (UK) »
Since you have found Patrick and Caroline in the 1911 census you should be able to work out what year (+/-1) they were married.

Using that information you might find their marriage at:
http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#c=1408347;p=2;t=searchable

Patrick’s birth should be also on that site.

If you want to order birth, marriage or death certs you can do so here:
http://www.groireland.ie/apply_for_a_cert.htm

Good luck with your search.

Dara.

Offline TheRedFox

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 15 July 09 11:42 BST (UK) »
Dara,

Many thanks for your reply. :)

Yes I did calculate their marriage from the 1911 census taking it back to around 1886.
Unfortunately I cannot find any reference to their marriage, or for that matter the second marriage.

One thing I did note was his first wife was born in Co. Wicklow, so there is a possibility they may have married in Co. Wicklow.
Neither of these dates appear on the Familysearch website, either the 'normal' or 'Pilot' Search  :(

Thanks for the link for ordering certificates, this may well help in the future but I'd rather try and find more info before going down this avenue.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 15 July 09 18:51 BST (UK) »
it might be worth trying the National Library in Dublin for Fanning parish records. The have a list and dates of the microfilms they hold : http://www.nli.ie/en/parish-register.aspx

there's a map of the Co. Wexford Catholic parishes on the Irish Times website at : http://www.irishtimes.com/ancestor/browse/counties/rcmaps/wexfordrc.htm

It looks like the townland of Cullenoge is in the Civil parish of Kilcavan, which is RC parish of Kilanieran/Kilanerin

records for this parish are on microfilm : P.4255  this contains Baptisms and Marriages between 1852 and 1880.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline TheRedFox

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 15 July 09 19:02 BST (UK) »
Shane,

Appreciate the response.  :)
Looks like I'll have to schedule a visit to Dublin unless there's some other way of viewing these Microfilms remotely.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 15 July 09 19:10 BST (UK) »
unfortunately the National Library has no online facility for viewing parish records and Co. Wexford is not included in the IFHF website at the moment.

might be worth checking if LDS have films for this parish..

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline TheRedFox

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 15 July 09 20:59 BST (UK) »
Shane,

Thought this might be the answer...  :(

Looks like I'll have to start planning a visit to Ireland. :)

LDS do seem to have a record for my Grandfather's birth/christening, namely:

Source Information:
Batch No.:  Dates:  Source Call No.:  Type:  Printout Call No.:  Type: 

C701252    1865    0101101             Film     NONE   

Sheet: 00

However a call to my local LDS History Centre (Leicester) seems to indicate that they don't have a record/film that can be called up..  :(

Offline manus

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 15 July 09 22:10 BST (UK) »
Hi The redfox

I don't know if this is any good to you St Patrick's church Crannford
Fanning Erected by Joseph Fanning, Barnadown Lower in memory of his wife Mary Ann Fanning who died on 17th April 1907 age 32 years also same place Craanford  In loving memory of Margaret Fanning , Clonamona who died on 24th June 1973 age 84 years and her son Patrick died 12 July 1978 age 56 years both Gorey Wexford

Regards Manus 

Offline TheRedFox

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 16 July 09 11:27 BST (UK) »
Manus,

Thanks for this info.

I don't think this is anything to do with my mother's family, at the moment, but you never know...
I will make a note of it for future reference.

Thanks again for the response.