Author Topic: Groundwater family - Aberdeen to York County Toronto Canada  (Read 3410 times)

Offline Meg jr

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Groundwater family - Aberdeen to York County Toronto Canada
« on: Tuesday 14 July 09 21:29 BST (UK) »
Good evening,

I wonder if I could ask for help on behalf of a friend of mine researching the Groundwater family from Aberdeen who emigrated to Toronto, York County please in the 1850's.

Alexander Lyell Groundwater married Jane McKenzie in Scotland. They had a son called Edward in 1854 in Scotland. In 1859 Alexander remarried in Canada and can be found on the 1861 census on the same page as his brother Watson, other Groundwaters and a boy called Hugh. The relationship of Hugh is not known.His place of birth is recorded as Ireland.

Despite searching for a burial or a death record for Jane McKenzie Groundwater none can be found in Aberdeen. If Hugh is Jane and Alexanders son was he born on board ship on route to Canada, did Jane die at this time perhaps. Or did she die in Canada.

1856/7 is the approximate date that Alexander left for Canada. I have been unable to find any record of him on ships leaving or arriving. His son Edward is recorded back in Scotland by 1871 as Alexander dies in 1863.

Anyone with knowledge of York County can hopefully advise what burial grounds would have been operational in the late 1850's.

I will also post this on the Scotland board in case Jane died in Scotland and is buried there.

If Jane died during the voyage where would the death be recorded? I have tried the death registers at sea, but nothing can be found.

Any references to this family in either Scotland or Canada would be helpful for me to follow up. I have searched the Ships List website and many other emigration websites, but cannot find anything mentioning Alexander and Jane.

Would love to find out what happened to Jane and who Hugh is

Thank you for your time

Meg

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Groundwater family - Aberdeen to York County Toronto Canada
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 14 July 09 23:39 BST (UK) »
Would you have years of birth for Alexander and Jane, please?

St. James Cemetery is Toronto's oldest operating cemetery.  It opened in July 1844:
http://www.stjamescathedral.on.ca/Cemetery/tabid/64/Default.aspx

St. Michael's is a Catholic cemetery; it opened in 1855.

I'm sure there are other old cemeteries; these are the only ones I know about.

The Ontario Cemetery Finding Aid is constantly adding information to their database.  As of this time, there are five Groundwater's listed.  It is only an index, so there isn't too much information:
http://www.islandnet.com/ocfa/homepage.html
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 14 July 09 23:54 BST (UK) »
Could Alexander have been a bookkeeper?  Toronto City Directory for 1859-60.
http://digitalcollections.torontopubliclibrary.ca/webDC/portlets/resultDetail/popup/viewLarger.jsp

This Alexander was a bookkeeper on Wellington Avenue.  Because there isn't an address, we can't tell what the cross street would have been.  St. James Cemetery is quite close to Wellington Street, so there's a chance that the family used this cemetery.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 15 July 09 00:07 BST (UK) »
My ancestor and possibly your friend's ancestor were almost neighbours in 1860:
Ovens, John, fancy goods and Berlin wool, 219 Yonge st. (my ancestor)
Groundwater, - book-keeper, 346 Yonge-street
 ;D
And, another direct ancestor of mine:
Mumford, James, butcher, 271 Yonge st.  ;D

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 15 July 09 00:11 BST (UK) »
You may try a search for the Groundwater's (Toronto City Directories):
http://digitalcollections.torontopubliclibrary.ca/

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 15 July 09 00:23 BST (UK) »
I do not have access to the 1871 Census of Canada record, but on A....y, there is a Hugh Groundwater, born c1856, living in Toronto West, Ontario.

This is only a list of heads and strays, but I don't see any Groundwaters listed in 1871:
http://db.library.queensu.ca/census/
------------------
About 11 of my ancestors/families immigrated (c1830-1870) and settled in Toronto.  I can only find two immigration records.  I wish you better success in finding the Groundwaters.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 15 July 09 00:26 BST (UK) »
Once again, I do not have access to additional information, but
Hugh Groundwater, born c1858, Ireland, married to Mary J, 1901 England Census (Lancashire).  Could this be the Hugh from the 1861 census?  (You didn't specify his date of birth.)

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 15 July 09 01:21 BST (UK) »
http://www.torontofamilyhistory.org/search.html

This is a pay for information site but it might prove useful.

In 1871 Hugh (15) b. Ireland is living with Watson Groundwater(40) b. Scotland, an accountant and his wife Sarah Groundwater(29) b. Ontario.  They are in Toronto West St. John's Ward.

Alexander married Sarah Banks(b. 1836  Yorkshire) April 21, 1859, Watson married Sarah Bell(b.1841 Toronto) Nov 14, 1861

Was James their brother?  He married Sarah Wilson nee Mitchell (b. 1843 Ireland) Feb 27 1878.

Debbie