Author Topic: OLWILL family Cavan 1840s  (Read 5701 times)

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
OLWILL family Cavan 1840s
« on: Thursday 16 July 09 18:19 BST (UK) »
I am interested in learning more about Catherine OLWILL who married Philip MURRAY in Co Cavan on 30/7/1843 [from the ihfh website] witnesses James LEE & Mary OLWILL. Unfortunately I do not know where in Cavan the marriage took place, or the dates of birth of the bride & groom.

Any help gratefully received.

Many thanks, Josey
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: OLWILL family Cavan 1840s
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 16 July 09 19:10 BST (UK) »
the IFHF record transcript should include the parish, which will give you the area where the marriage took place, and possibly the residence of the bride and groom.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 16 July 09 20:07 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that. Yes, I now see the parish was Cavan. But there are no other details. Do you think it  would be worth writing to the Parish Priest in Cavan parish?

Josey

Moderator comment: screenshot image removed - copyright IFHF and may not be posted here.

Sorry - I forgot to reduce area posted or to transcribe.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 16 July 09 21:28 BST (UK) »
that may be all the detail there is in the register. I've confirmed a few of the the IFHF transcript records for my ancestors in Dublin & Wicklow on the RC microfilms in the national library and they have the same level of details. Some parish that I've looked at have very basic records like the this one, on some another marriages in North Co. Dublin I accessed the register and transcript had both mothers and fathers names of bride and groom and addresses for everyone.

From what I can see the RC parish of Cavan matches the Civil Parishes of Annagelliff & Urney. This area includes Cavan Town and various townlands nearby - see the townland database at www.thecore.com/seanruad

records for this RC parish are available in the National Library in Dublin on microfilms : P.5342 & 5343 and cover about 1812 to 1880

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 17 July 09 08:49 BST (UK) »
Thank you for those microfilm numbers and parish names. They will be worth researching; my next planned research trip is to Kew to find out Philip Murray's military history but Dublin it will have to be after that!!!.

Thanks again, Josey

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 17 July 09 09:06 BST (UK) »
It looks like Olwill and variations is quite a rare surname .. I 've found a possible connection in Slater's Commercial directory of 1846 :

Luke Ollwell, Half-acre - Cooper (Cavan Town listing)

you can view the page here : http://www.failteromhat.com/slater/0172.pdf

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 17 July 09 09:29 BST (UK) »
Brilliant, thanks again. I hadn't yet thought of trying variations. I have got the CD of Grenham's Irish surnames so will look on that too.

Josey

Offline kiffagh

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 30 September 09 01:22 BST (UK) »
JOSEY,if you can contact the births deaths and marriage office in the hospital in cavan town.also did you try the lds website. i think there maybe olwill's still living in cootehill a town in county cavan. they maybe elderly if alive

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 04 October 09 15:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that information - I will follow it all up.

Josey