Author Topic: Street family - again!!  (Read 3383 times)

Offline Timetraveller77

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Street family - again!!
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 07 November 09 10:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi DebbieG, thanks for your help. Wow what a quick response.

I have attached a copy of the 1851 Census which shows Mary Ann Street as a servant (age 15), born oxen, benson. Hope that helps.

Tho the 1871 Census shows her birthplace as essex (I think), working (again the spelling is hard to read).

I have never seen the official 1861 Census with Mary Ann Street on it, as some Rootschat member typed out their findings for JohnBarr originally. Sorry I can't be more helpful. I am still learning :P
Scotland: Lanark and Stirling: BARRON, LOW, RAE, BRAIDWOOD,  MILLER  
                Isle of Bute: CURRIE, BARR, SIMPSON, CRAWFORD
England: London (Hoxton/St Luke): BOOTH, FRANKLIN
               Essex: WAINWRIGHT
               Bedfordshire: DENNIS, BRAYBROOK, PEACOCK
               Sussex: TULLY, SAYERS (Surrey also)
Ireland:  (unknown region) TULLY/TULLEMORE (poss)
               Antrim: AGNEW, MONTGOMERY

Offline DebbieG

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 07 November 09 10:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi - I can't PM you until you have made 3 posts - but you might want to take that image off - it breaks all the copyright rules and we will get in big trouble if the mods see it

DebbieG
Pay(n)ton, Payton, Pe(a)rton all Oxfordshire and Berkshire - particularly Abingdon

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DebbieG

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 07 November 09 10:30 GMT (UK) »

OK - I might be finding bits now.  Still nothing on baptisms for any of the children found in the Henley Workhouse in 1861,  It could be that she didn't have them baptised,  but working through the various places of birth given on that,  I did find this in the Ipsden transcripts

Baptism 1837 Feb 26th
Marrianne d/o Jane Street of Stoke Row

so the mother not married

DebbieG
Pay(n)ton, Payton, Pe(a)rton all Oxfordshire and Berkshire - particularly Abingdon

Offline DebbieG

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 07 November 09 11:13 GMT (UK) »
It seems that Jane also had a son baptised March 27th 1831 in Ipsden - his name was George,  now if we have the right Mary Ann/Marrianne  she might have called her son after her brother   :)

This is the family from the 1841 census for Ipsden

John Street     57
Ursula Street    65
Jane Street    33
James Lucass    28
Rachal Lucass    27
George Street    11
Mary Street    4

It seems that Jane with her 2 children is still living with her parents John & Ursula,  but the 1841 census does not give relationships

I then found a marriage in 1848 at Ipsden

William Woodard to Jane Street d/o John Street

and then I found this family in 1851 In Rotherfield Greys which would tie in with the biorthplace of Marianne's eldest child from the 1861 census

1851 Rotherfield Greys

William Woodward     43
Jane Woodward    42
Marian Street Woodward    14
William Woodward    2

I am trying to think of a way to prove that this is the right Mary Ann/Marianne that was the mother of your George

:)

DebbieG

Offline isy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 07 November 09 16:56 GMT (UK) »
This may be a long shot but here goes -  I am trying to track down a Lucy Street (nee Parker), who in 1921 was living at 3 Summerfield Street, Baring Road, Lee, Kent.   She was my grandfather's sister.   On seeing the name Street I was wondering if there is any connection.

Irene
Brady - Stepney
Wheeler - Stepney
Parker - Little Ilford
Hurry - Ilford
Jameson - Little Ilford

Offline Timetraveller77

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 08 November 09 06:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi DebbieG,
thank u for catching my mistake with the Census image. Don't know what I was thinking.  :-[

The birth for a marianne to Jane Street in 1837 sounds promising, since we have Benson, Ipsden as Mary Ann Streets birth place from an 1851 Census.

But then the Woodward family Census in 1851 clearly shows Marian Street Woodward age 14 at their residence, when we have Mary Ann Street at age 15, as a servant in household of Heath Family, in Henley.

The George connection is also promising though, so I am not ruling out Jane as the mother to mary ann/marrianne/marian Street. Not forgetting mary ann is how the name is spelt on george streets birth cert.

If it helps we have a Census in 1871 showing a mary ann street, age 35, as a lodger housekeeper in the household of william and isabella Janet, westminster.
I wonder then if the death for mary ann street in islington, london, 1898, age 61 could be the same woman. Is islington near westminster? or Rotherfield Greys even?
Thanks again

Scotland: Lanark and Stirling: BARRON, LOW, RAE, BRAIDWOOD,  MILLER  
                Isle of Bute: CURRIE, BARR, SIMPSON, CRAWFORD
England: London (Hoxton/St Luke): BOOTH, FRANKLIN
               Essex: WAINWRIGHT
               Bedfordshire: DENNIS, BRAYBROOK, PEACOCK
               Sussex: TULLY, SAYERS (Surrey also)
Ireland:  (unknown region) TULLY/TULLEMORE (poss)
               Antrim: AGNEW, MONTGOMERY

Offline DebbieG

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 08 November 09 07:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Yes the problem is sorting out which Mary Ann/Marianne Street is the mother of 'your' George.  I had 'go' at this yesterday.

I checked for Mary Ann (etc) of the right age in the area of Henley in the 1841 census and found  2 in  Ipsden  which were the daughter of James & Mary Street aged 5,  and the daughter of Jane Street aged 4.

I think the servant you have found in 1851 in Ipsden who was born in Benson,  would be the  daughter of James & Mary,  the house where she is working is only 3 houses away from where they are living in that census.  She is with them in the  1861 census,  she married in 1862 in Ipsden to William Green - I have a copy of the transcript.   So not her in the workhouse.

However I can't find a candidate for the daughter of Jane Street/Woodard  anywhere else in 1861 at the moment.

The one thing that bothers me is that the eldest child in the workhouse with M.  in 1861 is aged 10 and I would have thought should have shown up on the 1851 census,  perhaps she was very pregnant - which is another possible reason she might be in her mothers house in 1851,  I doubt she would be working as a servant.

I don't think the one in 1871 who is giving her birth place as Essex is the right person - it is not an uncommon name and I think I can see this one in 1861 already in London

There were 3 marriages (no deaths)  for Mary Ann Street in the Henley district between 1861 and 1871

the first in 1862 to spouse William Green - I have mentioned above.

The second in 1869 spouse William Tranter - I have found this couple in 1871 and Mary Ann was born in 1820 in Buckinghamshire - so not our lady.

The third in 1870 spouse Job Greenaway,  this one is interesting,  Job was born in 1844 in Stoke Row Ipsden,  the same small hamlet that all the Ipsden Streets that have been mentioned come from.  I can find him in 1861 working away from home as a labourer,  but then I can't find him again after that.  His birth doesn't seem to have been registered and there is no corresponding death for him in FreeBMD.  Did he immigrate?

Anyway - I hope all the above makes sense,  none of it is conclusive and most of it is based on the assumption that the family in the workhouse in 1861 is the one we want,  which is tricky with no first names just initials.  I wonder what records survive for Henley workhouse at that time,  the Oxford Records Office would probably be the place to ask.

:-\

DebbieG

Offline r973g

• RootsChat Member
  • I've not edited my profile yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 08 November 09 08:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Debbie
I have a Mary Ann Street (limited info) married Job Greenaway at Henley
2 qtr 1870 and a note that they emmigrated to Canada but unfortunately no date for that.
Ray
Greenaway
Greenway
Griggs-Essex & Kent
March-E. Anglia
Morley-Norfolk & Suffolk

Offline DebbieG

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 08 November 09 08:44 GMT (UK) »
OOOHHH Hi Ray

Do you have the marriage certificate?  or any other info at all,  I spent some time on this lot yesterday I feel almost like I know them I would love to know what happened to some of them,  do you know who Mary Ann's parent/s were?  did they have any children with them when they went?

:)