Author Topic: Floods of Ballytramon  (Read 4618 times)

Offline stephferris

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Floods of Ballytramon
« on: Friday 17 July 09 11:51 BST (UK) »
Hello,  I would appreciate any help please.  My grandfather is Patrick Joseph Flood and he grew up in Ballytramon woods Ardcavan over the bridge in Wexford.  His father was Michael Flood and His father James Flood who married Annastasia Harman.  James had a brother Robert who lived with him and a brother William who also lived nearby.  I am trying to trace my ancestors who lived in the woods.  Any photos or pictures of the woods and housing would also be greatly appreciated.

Thank you Stephanie

Offline Oaks and Acorns

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Floods of Ballytramon
« Reply #1 on: Friday 17 July 09 18:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Stephanie,

It would help find your ancestors if you have any dates to share. Once a time period is known it gives some clues where to look.

Good luck with your search.

Dara.

Offline Jack2227

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 17 July 09 19:26 BST (UK) »
Leitrim-Roscommon genealogy homepage has part of the 1901 census for Wexford and  http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search has the 1911 census for Wexford.

Offline Summerhill

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 18 July 09 20:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Steph
I am from Wexford and I am familiar with the area.  My granny is buried in Ardcavan cemetery.Now as Shanew has said it would help a lot indeed if you could give some dates or even roughly a timeframe when they lived at Ballytramon.
However If you contact wexford county library headquarters ,Ardcavan ,wexford. tel (053) 9121637 if inside ireland.  or 353 53 9121637. 9am_5pm. Askfor thelocalstudies department.  They may have some old photographs of the area in their files.

Offline stephferris

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 19 July 09 14:10 BST (UK) »
Thanks guys.  My Grandad was raised there (he lived in a clay building in the woods).  It was number 2 Ballytramon, Ardcavan and he was born in 1934.  His mum was Anastasia (nee Harman) and she was from Yole town.  My grandads dad Michael was born in 1904 (or there abouts) and he too lived at number 2 Ballytramon as did his father before him James Flood (Known as Jack) and he was born in 1880's.  Just trying to go back as far as I can to see how long the floods lived in the woods.  My grandads grandad James was also known as Jim from the woods.  Im waiting for the 1901 census to be published to look further back.  Thankyou for the tips. my grandad would love some photo's of his old home and woods so will contact them asap to see if they have any.  Thanks again - Stephanie

Offline Oaks and Acorns

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 19 July 09 18:10 BST (UK) »
This looks like them in the 1911 Census:

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Wexford/Ardcavan/Ballytramon/694009/

James is shown as age 49 which would put his birth approx 1862, before Civil Registration. His wife Catherine is 29, b approx 1882. You should find her maiden name from your grandfathers birth cert and be able to find her on http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#c=1408347;p=2;t=searchable

James also has a brother Robert living with him in 1911. Robert is aged 47 and born about 1864 so he might be registered. Only possible match I can see for Robert Flood, Wexford is

Name: Robert Flood
Registration district: Enniscorthy
Record type: DEATHS
Registration date - quarter and year: Jan - Mar 1945
Estimated birth year: 1865
Volume: 4
Page: 359

If I’m on the right track, this should be your grandfathers birth:

Name: Michael Flood
Registration district: Wexford
Record type: BIRTHS
Registration date - quarter and year: Oct - Dec 1903
Page: 657

The only Anastasia Harman I can see is:

Name: Anastasia Harman
Registration date - quarter and year: Jan - Mar 1907
Page: 694

I’m not clear on where you mean by Yole Town.

I found their marriage:

Name: Michael Flood
Name: Anastasia Harman
Record type: MARRIAGES
Registration date - quarter and year: Apr - Jun 1926
Page: 378

If you want to order birth or marriage certs for any of the above you can download the form from:

http://www.groireland.ie/apply_for_a_cert.htm

Put the following info anywhere on the form it will fit: Name, Registration district,
Registration date - quarter and year, Volume and Page. Order a research copy and it will cost €4 each.

Best wishes with your search.

Dara.

Offline stephferris

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 19 July 09 19:16 BST (UK) »
Thankyou, thankyou, thankyou Dara. (I don't think I can say thankyou enough.).  My Grandad is patrick and he is Anastasia and michaels son, he grew up in the woods.  My nan and grandad still lived in that clay building up to the late fifties (when they had their son Michael.  My grandad is trying to see how far back the floods go in the woods.  He remembers is Uncle Robert well.  Anastasia's mum was also called Anastasia and she was from Yole town.  Michael's dad My grandads grandad was James Flood Roberts brother and he was also from the woods.  I am trying to find out what his parents were called and whether there was always Floods in the woods.  I will definitely send for the certificates you have told me about which has helped me loads and loads.  My Grandad is now living in Gravesend, Kent and has been home many times but stays in Maudling town with my nans family.  He has never been back to the woods but would love to.  Do you or anyone know if you can visit still ?  Again thankyou Dara.  Hope I haven't been to confusing with my family history, I must confess I get confused at times the irish love to call their children after the parents and then themselves and I get confused about what one Im talking about....LOL.

Im loving my Irish roots.  I have always been proud to be part Irish, but as the years have gone by I feel my children will lose this sense which I grew up with and took for granted.  It has been so important to me and my grandparents to find our roots and have loved listening to my grandparents stories.  I can't believe that my grandad Patrich grew up in a wood lived in a clay house and only had shoes in the winter...!!! (When i was little I thought he was just telling us stories.).  I am thankful for modern technology but even more thankful for people who are strangers to me that will go out of there way to help me (Gushy stuff over - my nan would tell me to pull myself together for the love of Jesus...LOL).

Thankyou - Stephanie

Offline Oaks and Acorns

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 20 July 09 03:21 BST (UK) »
Glad to be able to help.

Looks like I found your Grandfather too:

Name: Patrick Flood
Registration date - quarter and year: Apr - Jun 1934
Mother's surnames: Harmin
Page: 536

When you get the certs I would be happy to help you further. Feel free to send me a personal message.

Dara.

Offline stephferris

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 20 July 09 15:59 BST (UK) »
Thanks Dara, yes his mother was Anastasia Harman who you have also listed above.  i am sending for all the certificates you have listed above, and will keep you updated.  Robert and James had a brother called William aswell.  He lived at number 7 Ballytramon, and he was a carpenter.  I love it that the Irish census is now online.

Stephanie