Author Topic: COMPLETED: Eaton Socon - Johnathan TESTER/Mary WHITE c 1775  (Read 8100 times)

Offline Z.oe

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Eaton Socon - Johnathan TESTER/Mary WHITE c 1775
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 18 July 09 19:58 BST (UK) »
All of you have been so generous and helpful - thanks indeed.

I have the info about Jabez and Amos's spouses but what I'm trying to do is find details of their parents to confirm (or deny) that they are also children of Jonathon Tester and Mary White. I've seen other trees on GR and ancestry that have Jabez and Amos of brothers of each other, with parents Johnathan and Mary, but no-one has been able to provide me with the sources for this so that I can satisfy my pernickety self.

I've been able to trace Jabez and Amos and their families in all the censuses but John Tester (their supposed brother, ie the one who was baptised the same day as Suzanna and Martha), my direct ancestor is *impossible* to find (though of course I would love to be proven wrong here ;) )

The original source for our supposition that John, Jabez and Amos are brothers is this letter:

Tythorne House
Stoneygate
Leicester
Dec 10 1908

Dear Miss Wilson,

In answer to your note, I have been able to arrange for you to stay at my aunts for the two days you are in Leicester.  I suppose hyou will come here the day before, namely the 16th.  Please let me know the day, train and line you travel by.  Someone will meet you at the station. 

My aunt, Mrs. Bland, lives at: 10 Tennyson Street, St. James Road, and is daughter of Jabez Tester, your great-grandfather’s brother.  I am afraid to tell you more as to my own identity but perhaps shall explain when you come to Leicester or you will be somewhat mixed up in our relationship.

Yours sincerely, Charles Kirk

[On the back of the note was the following family tree:]

JOHN            JABEZ            AMOS
|
Anna      Emma|   Annie      Eileen   Martha   |
A. Wilson                  Bland      Bugby      Bills
|                                          |
Jim, John, Annie, Emma, Job, Walter          Nellie, Pattie   
           |                                 Kirk
Walter, Lily, Daisy, Chris, Walter, Tester
PS Being a teacher you will probably understand the above

I've been able to work out that this (jumbled) tree is basically correct. The only thing I can't find evidence to confirm is that John, Jabez and AMos were indeed brothers. Also this tree doesnt' mention the sisters Martha and Suzanna. John married Martha Robinson and what other info I have about him is at
http://www.kuvik.net/ztoft/jansentofttree/ppl/a/9/a9c0e95676225a5acc9.html

Thanks again everyone for all the snippets of information about various Testers,

Zoe

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 19 July 09 21:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Zoe

I can understand your frustration with this family. You do have  circumstantial evidence that Amos and Jabes are siblings to your John - names of their children as already mentioned, also their birthplaces of Leicester/St Neots where you know this family lived. The presence of Amos and Jabes and Jonathan and Mary in Leicester on censuses. One possible way of proving their parentage could be the marriage cert for Amos' second marriage.

As for John I can find only one possible sighting of him in Heytesbury, Wiltshire in 1861 living in a school

John Tester Boarder Widower 54 Tutor Cotton End Bedfordshire

RG9/1306/8 Pg10

Jan ;)
ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
cambridgeshire- bird, carver
hertfordshire- conisbee, bean, saunders, quick,godfrey
derbyshire- allsop, noon
devon - griffin, love, rapsey
dorset- rendall, gale
somerset- rendall, churchill
surrey/middlesex - douglas, conisbee, childs, lyon groombridge

Offline Z.oe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 20 July 09 06:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Jan,

Yep, spending money on a marriage cert might be what I have to do...

Thanks for the tantalizing sighting in the 1861 census. I have to admit it is not one I had seen before so I really appreciate your fresh eyes on this!

The info here would fit with the information (known from John's daughter's marriage cert) that he was a teacher - the John Tester you've found is described as a "tutor".  But... I note that he's described as a widower. I haven't been able to find his wife Martha nee Robinson on any census but I have this as a possible death record:

Martha Tester
bc 1798
June Quarter 1868
Age at Death 70
Leicestershire
Volume:    7a
Page:    114

IF this is my Martha, John would not have been a widow on the 1861 census (they married in 1818), unless of course he is being economical with the truth, as he may be being with his age....

*Thanks* again Jan for rooting around for me and giving me something to think about.

Zoe

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 20 July 09 10:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Zoe

I think the Martha Tester who dies in Leicester is this one

Leicester Union Workhouse
Martha Tester Inmate Widow 65 Sewer of Hose Radford Notts

RG9/2292/98 Pg19

I cannot see her on any other census. Don't think the widow/widower for either of them rules them out as yours - maybe they had split up by this stage.

Jan ;)

ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
derbyshire- allsop, noon
dorset- rendall, gale

Offline Z.oe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: COMPLETED: Eaton Socon - Johnathan TESTER/Mary WHITE c 1775
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 21 July 09 19:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Jan, and everyone else who helped me,

I think this one has gone as far as it can here and now so I just wanted to say thanks again for all your input.

Very best wishes,
Zoe

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 21 July 09 21:52 BST (UK) »
Let us know if you discover anything else about the family :D

Jan ;)

buckinghamshire- pain
derbyshire- allsop, noon
dorset- rendall, gale

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 23 July 09 21:05 BST (UK) »
Hello Zoe,  Just had a response from Genes Reunited contact who has Johnathan Tester / Mary White

"Jonathan Tester is my g/g/g/g/ grandfather. He was born 1775 Beds & married Mary White 15.11.1794 @ Eaaton Socon Cambs/Northants. He died 3.10.1848 Leicester. Children Jane 1795 Ann 1800 Jabez 1810 Sarah 1818 Amos (my ggggf) 1813 b St Neots. I have copy of Jonathans death cert. He appears on 1841 census Stamford Street Court, Leicester Occupation Gardener"

perhaps he'll find this topic & give you more info.
regards John
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Partridge - North Beds; Northants & Peterborough
Bishop - Bedford; Hunts, Hemingford Grey
Allen - Hunts, Hemingford Abbotts
Clement - Croydon
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Z.oe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 24 July 09 07:45 BST (UK) »
Hi John,

Many thanks for this. I hope your contact will get in touch! (I'm also on GR so maybe he'll find me there)

Zoe

Offline Z.oe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 30 July 09 13:01 BST (UK) »
I've just received a copy of the marriage cert for Amos Tester. Here's the info it contains:

March 12 1848, St Margaret's Church, Leicester

Amos Tester Age: Full, Condition: Widower, Profession: Mechanic, Residence at time of Marriage: Wilton Street, Father's name and surname: Jonathon Tester, Profession of father: Gardener

Lucy Ann Barratt Age: Full, Condition: Widow, Profession: - , Residence at time of marriage: Church Gate, Father's Name and Surname: John Branston, Profession of Father: Wool Sorter

Witnesses: John Branston and Eliza Branston

Whilst Amos Tester and John Branston signed the register, Lucy Ann Barratt and Eliza Branston both made their mark (+).

So.... I do think Amos is the brother of (my) John Tester - with their father being Jonathon Tester, Gardener (occupation is confirmed in census info). This doesn't get me hugely further in my hunt for John, but maybe it's of use to someone else!

Zoe