Author Topic: wedding banns forDavid and Isabella mckenzie  (Read 10957 times)

Offline scotia123

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: wedding banns forDavid and Isabella mckenzie
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 23 July 09 13:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Alex

I've tried searches as well and no joy  :-\ The search that is normally easier to do is for wives as you can search with both maiden and married surnames....also no joy for Sarah  ???

Nothing on the 1881 census that connect to them either.

Frustrating.

Monica
hi Monica I,ve searched on scotlandspeople including 1881 census, death certs for both david and sarah banns for them and batism christening for david to no avail there just does not sem to be anything regarding these. as you said frustrating I feel as I am running into a brick wall full pelt running out of ideas and places to look for these two.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 23 July 09 14:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Alex

The only entry that sticks out for me in 1881 (also showing in 1891 in same situation) is:

David MacKenzie, 48, Coachman & Public House Keeper, b. Forres, Morayshire - patient at the Edinburgh Insane Asylum in Morningside Edinburgh.

One of the reasons I asked earlier what occupation showed for father David on Alexander's marriage entry....but that came back as farmer so no clues there.

Can't see anything for them on the English census either so not sure where they have ended up between 1871 and 1881  ???

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 23 July 09 15:12 BST (UK) »
Police service records for Midlothian for this period I wonder? Not sure what there is for this region and where they would be stored. Some of the service records I have seen carry quite a bit of personal information including where someone was born.

We have a RC member who is a historian in this area for a different county. I'll send him a PM and see if he can advice where to look.... :)

Monica

Offline conner395

• RootsChat Member
  • Northern Police Pipe Band www.norconpipeband.co.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 23 July 09 22:16 BST (UK) »
To find out about the man's police career, best strarting place would be Lothian & Borders Police http://www.lbp.police.uk which covers Edinburgh and the surrounding former counties.

Chances are their records/archives are held by the Council but an email to the Force would be first try.

Hope that helps

Dave

hi, I am looking for help in tracing the father of David mckenzie and this being a completely new hobby to me any help or info would be greatly appreciated. The information that I have so far is that  David mckenzie residing in the parish of Alves and Isabella Dunbar residing in parish of Golspie had the reading of their wedding banns commence on the 7 of december 1851. There is no date given for the wedding service They had two children John born 1853 at alves and Alexander born 1855 also at Alves. The 1861 census shows David and family in Edinburgh he is shown as being aged 34 and a police constable isabella would now seem to be known as Sarah and John is shown as an 8 year old scholar.

My problem is that I cannot find either a batism record for David or a death certificate from which I could learn his parents names and any other info regarding the same I,ve tried to be as brief as possible with this post as well as posting as much info as I can any help or advice would be gratefully received

Alex.
Dave Conner
retired police officer / force historian (volunteer)
(Northern Constabulary)
Inverness, Scotland

Researching Police History of the Scottish Highlands and Islands
(Northern Constabulary area)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 23 July 09 22:17 BST (UK) »
Thanks Dave  :)

Monica

Offline scotia123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 24 July 09 09:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Alex

The only entry that sticks out for me in 1881 (also showing in 1891 in same situation) is:

David MacKenzie, 48, Coachman & Public House Keeper, b. Forres, Morayshire - patient at the Edinburgh Insane Asylum in Morningside Edinburgh.

One of the reasons I asked earlier what occupation showed for father David on Alexander's marriage entry....but that came back as farmer so no clues there.

Can't see anything for them on the English census either so not sure where they have ended up between 1871 and 1881  ???

Monica
Hi Monica, I don,t think that is the same david, as I have my david as being married to sarah dunbar on the 1841 census so the age would be wrong. How is it possible for two people to disappear like thes two have? I really appreciate the time and effort you have put in on this for me.

Alex.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 24 July 09 10:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Alex

I only posted that 1881 census entry as the only one with any reference to what we have so far on David (Midlothian connection and link to Forres)!

I would follow up the links suggested by Dave to see whether there are any records of David on the police service archives. If there are any to be found, they could well help to fill out the picture.

Monica

Offline scotia123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 24 July 09 15:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Alex

I only posted that 1881 census entry as the only one with any reference to what we have so far on David (Midlothian connection and link to Forres)!

I would follow up the links suggested by Dave to see whether there are any records of David on the police service archives. If there are any to be found, they could well help to fill out the picture.

Monica
Hi Monica

I have been in touch with the lothian and borders police who informed me that all historical records were passed to the city of edinburgh council I have been in touch with them and am now waiting a reply

Alex.

Offline scotia123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 25 July 09 08:39 BST (UK) »
To find out about the man's police career, best strarting place would be Lothian & Borders Police http://www.lbp.police.uk which covers Edinburgh and the surrounding former counties.

Chances are their records/archives are held by the Council but an email to the Force would be first try.

Hope that helps

Dave

hi dave thanks for pointing me in the direction of the police records I have been advised that lothian and borders police passed all historical records to edinburgh city council so I am now waiting to hear from them

Alex

hi, I am looking for help in tracing the father of David mckenzie and this being a completely new hobby to me any help or info would be greatly appreciated. The information that I have so far is that  David mckenzie residing in the parish of Alves and Isabella Dunbar residing in parish of Golspie had the reading of their wedding banns commence on the 7 of december 1851. There is no date given for the wedding service They had two children John born 1853 at alves and Alexander born 1855 also at Alves. The 1861 census shows David and family in Edinburgh he is shown as being aged 34 and a police constable isabella would now seem to be known as Sarah and John is shown as an 8 year old scholar.

My problem is that I cannot find either a batism record for David or a death certificate from which I could learn his parents names and any other info regarding the same I,ve tried to be as brief as possible with this post as well as posting as much info as I can any help or advice would be gratefully received

Alex.