Author Topic: wedding banns forDavid and Isabella mckenzie  (Read 10959 times)

Offline scotia123

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: wedding banns forDavid and Isabella mckenzie
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 06 August 09 10:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Alex

I only posted that 1881 census entry as the only one with any reference to what we have so far on David (Midlothian connection and link to Forres)!

I would follow up the links suggested by Dave to see whether there are any records of David on the police service archives. If there are any to be found, they could well help to fill out the picture.

Monica
Hi Monica I have finally received the police records for david mckenzie from lothian and borders police unfortunately they only contain a physical description his police number his warrant number when he joined and when he was stationed no other information. seeing as i can find nothing on scotlandspeople after 1871 census or indeed death certificates for either david or sarah would this perhaps indicate that they may have left the country and if so could you give me any pointers on how I would go about checking this out

Alex 

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 06 August 09 13:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Alex

Hard to say what happened to David and Isabella  :-\ There is certainly no obvious deaths for them in Scotland. Maybe the reference to David being a farmer in son Alexander's marriage cert. might indicate that they emigrated....but all guesses at this stage.

I did check the English censuses and couldn't find an obvious entry for them there.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline conner395

• RootsChat Member
  • Northern Police Pipe Band www.norconpipeband.co.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 06 August 09 22:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica I have finally received the police records for david mckenzie from lothian and borders police unfortunately they only contain a physical description his police number his warrant number when he joined and when he was stationed no other information. seeing as i can find nothing on scotlandspeople after 1871 census or indeed death certificates for either david or sarah would this perhaps indicate that they may have left the country and if so could you give me any pointers on how I would go about checking this out

Alex 

for what it is worth, there was a history of police officers going from Scottish police forces to Colonial ones: Hong Kong, Shanghai, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, South Africa to name but a few. Sorry but I have no clue how you could follow that up. In those days, there was nothing so simple as a "transfer" between forces, and some Chief constables got rather upset if they found out that an officer was planning to leave to go to another force, so that fact was not always made known when the cop left the force. Undoubtedly though, had he gone to another force, there would have been some record of it, since the "new" force would likely seek a certificate of confirmation as to the officer's length of service and conduct. Having said that, some Forces did issue certificates automatically in lieu of a reference.

Best regards

Dave
Dave Conner
retired police officer / force historian (volunteer)
(Northern Constabulary)
Inverness, Scotland

Researching Police History of the Scottish Highlands and Islands
(Northern Constabulary area)

Offline scotia123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 10 August 09 11:07 BST (UK) »

Alex 

for what it is worth, there was a history of police officers going from Scottish police forces to Colonial ones: Hong Kong, Shanghai, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, South Africa to name but a few. Sorry but I have no clue how you could follow that up. In those days, there was nothing so simple as a "transfer" between forces, and some Chief constables got rather upset if they found out that an officer was planning to leave to go to another force, so that fact was not always made known when the cop left the force. Undoubtedly though, had he gone to another force, there would have been some record of it, since the "new" force would likely seek a certificate of confirmation as to the officer's length of service and conduct. Having said that, some Forces did issue certificates automatically in lieu of a reference.

Best regards

Dave
Hi Dave, It would seem that david has changed his occupation from police constable to farmer on his son alexander,s wedding cert given that i can find no trace of them in scotland or england after 1871 census or indeed on any other documentation I am now considering that they may, just may have emigrated to new zealand to join sarah,s siblings who had all ready emigrated long shot but I,ve got no other ideas as to where to go now thanks for your help

best regards,

Alex.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 10 August 09 11:39 BST (UK) »
Alex

Why don't you try a post on the New Zealand or Australian emigrants boards here on RC? Hopefully people with access to more specific resources for there could have a look around.

Monica  :)

Offline scotia123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 10 August 09 13:06 BST (UK) »
Alex

Why don't you try a post on the New Zealand or Australian emigrants boards here on RC? Hopefully people with access to more specific resources for there could have a look around.

Hi Monica, I,ll give that a try however as I said it is a bit of a long shot based on pure guesswork and a lack of any other documentation in this country however the good news is that I might ,just might have discovered  the batism records for david on scotlands people it,s the only one I can find for that area and timeline which would seem to fit and the date of birth would fit perfectly for david given the other info known

best regards

Alex.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 10 August 09 13:49 BST (UK) »
Which entry do you have? Let's see if it matches my best guess!

Offline scotia123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 10 August 09 14:08 BST (UK) »

Hi Monica clutching at sraws but just maybe

Alex

Offline scotia123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 10 August 09 14:14 BST (UK) »

Hi Monica, maybe just maybe what do you think?

Alex