Author Topic: wedding banns forDavid and Isabella mckenzie  (Read 10958 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: wedding banns forDavid and Isabella mckenzie
« Reply #36 on: Monday 10 August 09 14:47 BST (UK) »
That's the one  :) The reasons I though this one was interesting:

David's birth places from the censuses we have him in:

1851: b. Creich, Sutherland
1861: b. Rossshire
1871: b. Kincardine, Rossshire

There is also another child showing for this couple:

KATE MC KENZIE Christening: 25 NOV 1829 Kincardine, Ross And Cromarty

And then this 1841 census entry - not sure whether this has been transcribed correctly as McKay or whether the original maybe closer to McKenzie or variants:

Kate MacKay 50
Kate MacKay 11

Address: Clashenglas, Creich, Sutherland

I wondered if David stated Creich in his 1851 census entry because he had lived there some time as a child but in later years gave his correct birth place as Kincarine, Rossshire.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline scotia123

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Monday 10 August 09 17:58 BST (UK) »
That's the one  :) The reasons I though this one was interesting:

David's birth places from the censuses we have him in:

1851: b. Creich, Sutherland
1861: b. Rossshire
1871: b. Kincardine, Rossshire

There is also another child showing for this couple:

KATE MC KENZIE Christening: 25 NOV 1829 Kincardine, Ross And Cromarty

And then this 1841 census entry - not sure whether this has been transcribed correctly as McKay or whether the original maybe closer to McKenzie or variants:

Kate MacKay 50
Kate MacKay 11

Address: Clashenglas, Creich, Sutherland

I wondered if David stated Creich in his 1851 census entry because he had lived there some time as a child but in later years gave his correct birth place as Kincarine, Rossshire.

Monica
Hi Monica, reached this  david somewhat along the lines you have given i.e. areas given for his birth place on the different censuses  and a process of elimination from searches on scotlandspeople tried to find david on the 1841 census but failed all though he would be about 14 then so will keep trying are you suggesting that the kate mckay 50 and the kate mckay 11 in the 1841 census might in fact be his mother and sister and do you think this is in fact the proper David?

regards

Alex.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Monday 10 August 09 22:09 BST (UK) »
I don't know Alex  :-\ It's our best guesses in the absence of fact at this stage. I've just double checked on SP. From general searches on the 1841 census, the two Kates shows as MacKay, so not sure about this entry therefore at this stage.

There are a couple of entries showing in 1841 for a David M(a)cKenzie (and variants) in his age group working as a farm servant/ lab. He could be any of them. Hard to connect always on the 1841 census given it has such limited info and specially if someone is away from family.

Monica

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline scotia123

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday 11 August 09 09:57 BST (UK) »
I don't know Alex  :-\ It's our best guesses in the absence of fact at this stage. I've just double checked on SP. From general searches on the 1841 census, the two Kates shows as MacKay, so not sure about this entry therefore at this stage.

There are a couple of entries showing in 1841 for a David M(a)cKenzie (and variants) in his age group working as a farm servant/ lab. He could be any of them. Hard to connect always on the 1841 census given it has such limited info and specially if someone is away from family.

Monica

Hi Monica, so it looks like a right brickwall unless I can come up with a death cert for david. I have been in touch with a relative of sarah dunbar in New Zealand and she is going to see if she can come up with anything out there as regards their possible emigration although I,m now clutching at straws also going to do as you suggested and post a lookup on the new zealand board here in rootschat

thank for your continuing help it,s much appreciated.

Alex.