Author Topic: Lloyd family - Llandrinio  (Read 3731 times)

Offline waco kid

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Lloyd family - Llandrinio
« on: Friday 17 July 09 18:12 BST (UK) »
My ggfather and a number of his cousins were trying to prove their family link to a Robert Edwards. In doing so they were also hoping that this Robert Edwards was the "Edwards Millions" Robert.

I apologise if this topic has been through the forum before, but I am a newcomer to RootsChat.com who is finding his way around and it is all a bit strange at the moment. (I have never used a chat forum before and have never even looked at facebook!)

I have obtained a box of letters dating back to the early 1920's where my forebears are writing to every parish church they can find around the Llandrinio, Ardlleen, Llanymynerch etc. area trying to find the marriage of a James Lloyd (gggggrandfather) to a Mary Edwards. From the lists in my box I have James Lloyd born in 1773 and Mary Edwards born in 1777. I have traced them in the 1841 census, which shows James as 67yrs and Mary as 54yrs. In the 1851 census James is not there but Mary is 65yrs. This is my first conflict, as the list would mean her age should be 10yrs older. I know that the truth was not always told, but I need some tangible proof to show which fact is correct.

I have been through the parish records for Montgomeryshire on Findmypast.com and drawn a blank. It would appear that the parish records I am looking for have been destroyed. I understand that the Bishops transcripts would be another source for me. Am I correct that these are held at the National Library of Wales? If so, how would I go about checking them?

If anyone can point me in the right direction, I would be gratefull. Even more so if anyone has travelled this route with the Lloyd's and Edwards' families in the 18th century. The lists show various sets of Lloyd brothers marrying Edwards sisters, e.g. Robert Lloyd m. Esther Edwards (no record of this marriage either)

All I am looking to do is put the facts in place and add to the social history we have discovered in the box. It would be good to finish off the quest my ggrandfather started. As for the "Edwards Millions".....................

Williams, Lloyd, Jones, Edwards, Hughes, Ellis, Evans, Askew, Youds, Simpson, Barlow, gorst, Wadsworth, Morley, Bates, Foulkes, Howard, Ormson

Offline david64

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Snow in Llansilin, 7 Jan 2010
    • View Profile
Re: Lloyd family - Llandrinio
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 30 January 10 14:48 GMT (UK) »
My ggfather and a number of his cousins were trying to prove their family link to a Robert Edwards. In doing so they were also hoping that this Robert Edwards was the "Edwards Millions" Robert.

Its actually the Edwards billions, if it hasn't hit the trillion mark the way the criminal Fed is going.

I also have an Edwards family in Llandrinio. I have:

Edward Edwards, b. 1802/3 in West Felton - 1867 in Llandrinio, son of Edward Edwards. Edward, Jr. married Mary Evans (1797-1835), dau. of Moses Evans & Catherine Poole.

and another Edwards family in Selattyn:

Richard Edwards, b. 1803/4 in West Felton - 1876 in Pentredaffyd

I am heading over to Shropshire Archives shortly to look these up. If you can give some more detailed info, I will have a look for your lot.

David

Offline Goorikidz

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Lloyd family - Llandrinio
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 18 April 10 02:51 BST (UK) »
I have a Mary Lloyd who married Jeffrey Poole in 26 Feb 1797.  Mary Lloyd, was the daughter of Robert Lloyd, grocer, & Elizabeth his wife, aged 25,
Diocese of St. Asaph.  I obtained their marriage from the Bishops Transcripts on film from the Morman Church.

David has already helped me, but the Lloyds I can't seem to get back any further Mary's parents.
So Check the Bishops Transcripts Llanymynech Shropshire UK - film 0429033 as that is where I found Robert Lloyd's death in 1777.

Should any info on the Lloyd family connect would love to know.

Janette
BONUS: Meath Ireland
BULL: Warwickshire
CANDLER: Essex;
CHILDS: Hampshire; IOW
COLES: Worcestershire, & Newport Wales; Australia
GAUDIN: Nottinghamshire; Australia, New Caledonia, France
HIGGERSON; Middlesex;
LLOYD: Montgomeryshire Wales
LITTLEWOOD: possibly Cornwall
POOLE: Llanymynech Wales, Sussex, Shropshire, Oswestry, Warwickshire, Australia;
POWELL: Shrewsbury, Shropshire
RAINBOW: Worcestershire
RAYNER: Wivenhoe, Essex, Australia
WILLIAMS: Monmouthshire;