Author Topic: Grandfather's war record  (Read 2707 times)

Offline Tangoringo

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Grandfather's war record
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 27 August 09 10:45 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the welcome Jill.

Hope you uncover the details you are after.

I'm really hoping to find out more about the mutiny that my grandfather mentioned to my father before I was born. It may well have been distorted over time as Edwin was awarded the standard two medals of the War according to his medal card but I'm trying to get more details if they are available.

I hope to have a look at the regimental/DAC diaries sometime soon to see what more information I can gather and will let you know if I find anything as our relatives may well have been in the same area being in the same unit and similar regimental numbers.

Kind Regards,

Ian

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 27 August 09 11:48 BST (UK) »
I hadn't picked up on the numbers, Ian.

You're right, they're both very close.  Did your grandfather come from the same area - East Yorkshire?

Jill
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline Tangoringo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 27 August 09 12:01 BST (UK) »
He did indeed.

His name was Edwin Hodgson b 1897 in Fangfoss In East Riding/Yorks. He spent all his earlyyears there possibly in the Carpenters Arms in Fangfoss ( his Father and Grandfather were publicans and Blacksmiths ).

My father was born in Retford Nottinghamshire which has a link in that the 2nd Northumbrian were based close to Retford in 1915 and Edwin then settled there post war and married my Grandmother there as well.

Unfortunately I never met Edwin and Agnes ( Snowdin ), my Gran, died when I was very young. Hence the only details I have about Edwins history are via my Dad and the mutiny story may be just that.......but who knows ......

Offline spower

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 14 April 10 19:39 BST (UK) »
My Grandfather, P.V. Godley, also served in the 50th Divisional ammunition column and then in one of the 50th's artillery brigades (251st). There's quite a good book of the history of the 50th Division and it's still in print. I've been using a copy to get an idea of what my grandfather went through especially when the Division was virtually destroyed during the Battle of the Aisne. The book is published by The Naval & Military Press. Regards SP
Godley, Farncombe, Older, Hunt, Meads, Barber, Winter, Morley, Carter, Westgate, Bates, Pickett

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 14 April 10 20:04 BST (UK) »
Thanks, I'll look into that.

I never knew my grandfather but my aunt said he'd told her stories of his Division being virtually destroyed. I think the fact that only he and his horse survived was probably a bit of a family story type embellishment! I had looked online and wondered if the battle might have been the Aisne.

Jill
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline spower

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 14 April 10 20:58 BST (UK) »
I didn't get to meet my grandfather either as he died before I was born. I've spoken to my mother, aunts and uncles but he doesn't seem to have talked about the war. Although he came from Sussex he was posted into the 50th Northumberland Division after being drafted in 1916. A fair number of Sussex men ended up in the 50th, I'm not sure why but it must have come as a bit of a culture shock to someone who had apparently never left Sussex before. The 50th were involved in a number of battles up to 1918 and the artillery tended to be on the front before the rest of the Division arrived and remained there after they left. They were pretty badly torn up at The Somme and Estaires and were sent to the Aisne region to recuperate and train replacements. The Aisne was where the Germans launched their last big push, probably because they knew that the opposing divisions were a bit weak. The 50th's artillery were especially targeted and knocked out early in the battle and then their positions overrun by the German advance. All of the guns were lost and there were heavy casualties amonst the gunners and drivers. If your grandfather was in charge of a horse he was probably a bit further back and lucky to escape.
Godley, Farncombe, Older, Hunt, Meads, Barber, Winter, Morley, Carter, Westgate, Bates, Pickett