Author Topic: Search for a Grandfather  (Read 1014 times)

Offline meghanpeghan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Search for a Grandfather
« on: Friday 17 July 09 22:09 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I am trying to find out what happened to my Grandfather, CHARLES HENRY SHARP b 30.12.1895 in Beverley, East Yorkshire.  He deserted my grandmother shortly after his son (my father) was born.  I know from old electoral rolls that he was in Brighton until 1922, but after that I know nothing and my father never heard from him.  I would really like to know whether he returned to Yorkshire or remarried.

Thanks in anticipation

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Search for a Grandfather
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 18 July 09 09:55 BST (UK) »
Have you tried the Genes Reunited site ? 

You should also be able to trace his death record from the BMD listings, and once you've found it, his death certificate may reveal a second wife, if one existed.

RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline meghanpeghan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 18 July 09 10:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks Nick.  Do you know if the GenesReunited site is complete as far as BMD's go?  Have tried FREEBMD many times and had no luck.  Trouble is, I don't even know his year or place of death .  I have just got some credits so off I go-a hunting!!

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 19 July 09 11:47 BST (UK) »
I'm afraid I don't use Genes Reunited for searching - I use Ancestry and TheGenealogist.  When I suggested Genes Reunited, I really meant their community pages, which helps find others searching for the same surname.

If I were you, I'd head for the nearest library - this sort of search will involve going through reams of death records, and you may have to view 100's of pages to find likely matches, unless you're really lucky.  Most public libraries have a subscription to Ancestry.

RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline meghanpeghan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 20 July 09 13:00 BST (UK) »
Thanks again Nick.  Things have moved on a pace since we last spoke and I now have 8 contacts through GenesReunited who have all contacted me and given me access to their trees!  Thanks for your replies.