Author Topic: Charles De Vigne  (Read 1140 times)

Offline Llamafarmer

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Charles De Vigne
« on: Saturday 18 July 09 06:41 BST (UK) »
Hi.
I am looking to trace one Charles William De Vigne.
I know quite a bit about him, but he fell off the radar in 1930 in Bristol when he left his family and then got married again in 1946 in Stourbridge to a Fanny Ramsell.
Does anyone know where I can start looking to find out what happened to him in the intervening years and afterwards?
Thanks
Stephen

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Charles De Vigne
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 18 July 09 11:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Stephen,

you could get the marriage certificate for Charles and Fanny and see what his occupation was and perhaps even his address- for example -was he local to Stourbridge. That may give some clues perhaps.
I think, perhaps, from your other posts, that you have his children from his first marriage.
There is a Fanny Ramsell born 1900 in Staffordshire,  which would make her 46 yrs at the marriage but of course she could be a widow.

heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Llamafarmer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 18 July 09 12:17 BST (UK) »
I have the mariage certificate. He was liing at 4 Valley Road, Lye and was working as a journalist. The Fanny Ramsell mentioned born in 1900 is mine. She was a spinster and he was a widower (allegedly). Her occupation was listed as shop manageress of a china and glassware shop in Walsall, difficult to read the name of the street, but something like prospect street/proffet street.
Her family from 1901 census is listed as:
John Thomas Ramsell 38 
Rosa Ramsell 34 
Wilfred Ramsell 2 
Fanny Ramsell 1 
Living in Aldridge, Walsall.
Any ideas how to take this further? I am particurly interested in de Vigne, but also Fanny Ramsell.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 18 July 09 12:33 BST (UK) »
I can only think that with Fanny you could look to 1911 census but that would only be her at 11 yrs  ::)

Have you tried:
telephone directories - although presumably Charles and Fanny would not have any descendants  :-\
the local newspaper - especially if he was a journalist - but they might run an appeal for you

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 18 July 09 12:35 BST (UK) »

Offline Llamafarmer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 18 July 09 13:46 BST (UK) »
The national archives link looks interesting. I will phone them next week when they are open.
Do you mean using old telephone directories? Where would I find one for the area?
I contacted the local newspaper of the area and I am hoping they might be able to help.
Thanks for all your help so far - the national archives link looks promising as I think the person that left the file in could be her brother or other relation...
Here's hoping! :0)

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 18 July 09 16:10 BST (UK) »
I thought it looks as though it could be.
No I meant modern directories -with it being an unusual name there may be someone somewhere called that who is descended from his first marriage but I suppose you have those people perhaps.
I was wondering if Dudley Archives may be able to help re Stourbridge or even Walsall local history centre may have knowledge of Wilfred's scrapbook - just browse these and they come up on internet.
 and lastly, as I said earlier - a local newspaper perhaps.

good luck
heywood