Author Topic: sarah gallacher (steel) kilmarnock 1844  (Read 1497 times)

Offline dennis w g

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
sarah gallacher (steel) kilmarnock 1844
« on: Saturday 18 July 09 12:55 BST (UK) »
Sarah Gallacher  was born in France about 1816 and brought up in Scotland.(Kilmarnock)...Married John Steel  and had 2 children (1841 census)...convicted  at Ayr  (stealing a pair of stockings)17/9/1844 and transported to Van Diemens Land for 7 years...I have convict records and later history in australia,,Sarah marries in 1852 to Frederick Wood and on the birth cert, of their son Robert born in 1858 NSW,  says she was born in France.....Also shows France as birth place in convict records.....Know nothing more about the french connection..any suggestions???

Cheers..
frederick wood   kent 1841 & tas, nsw 1842>
sarah gallacher  killmarnock ayrshire 1841, tas  nsw 1844>

Offline Thinlizy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Elizabeth Henderson, my grandmother, on the right
    • View Profile
Re: sarah gallacher (steel) kilmarnock 1844
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 09 August 09 06:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Dennis, Found your lady's marriage on 1st on IGI with her name spelt Gallaugher, looked at OPR on GROS - 597/0110 0167 to confirm date 10/11/1835 and both stayed on High Street Kilmarnock Ayrshire after Banns proclaimed, no parents's names but that's not unusual. (States also the "extract was called for." Anyone out there know what this could mean) Cannot find a birth on IGI. Do you have the info on the children? Thinlizy
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk
  Scotland: Borders, Forth Valley & Lothians: Bremner, Eddington/Edington, Ferguson, Flucker, Henderson, Hitchcock. Caithness area & North Isles: Bremner & Rendall.
England: Buckinghamshire area, London/Middlesex, Northamptonshire  area: Devonshire, Hitchcock

Offline dennis w g

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: sarah gallacher (steel) kilmarnock 1844
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 09 August 09 13:38 BST (UK) »
Greetings, Thinlizy,
Thanks for replying...

The children were Margaret & Jean..see attached file..dont know what happened to them or  her husband John Steel..He probably remarried after 7 years( as was the regulation at that time..with transported people who never returned to Britain)

Sarah is my wifes' G/G/Grandmother

Perhaps Sarah was brought over from France as a small child after the Napoleonic wars?

I have been off and  on this trail for a number of years..Ihave most of the Australian /later  history...

thanks again. cheers..Dennis...
frederick wood   kent 1841 & tas, nsw 1842>
sarah gallacher  killmarnock ayrshire 1841, tas  nsw 1844>