Author Topic: Tracing Fred Jones from Birkenhead, I think  (Read 3063 times)

Offline marith2004

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Tracing Fred Jones from Birkenhead, I think
« on: Sunday 27 February 05 16:39 GMT (UK) »
Help pls to trace a Frederick (Josiah) Jones b c 1889 Birkenhead. Father Walter Jones. Fred possibly lived in Horatio St, Birkenhead in 1901 census, aged 11 yrs, but no other Jones's there at this time. However, 3 generations of Jones's lived at this address from1871, 1881, and 1891. And then poor Fred on his tod with a couple called Evans in 1901.
Fred has defeated all my efforts to find more info and I really need to prove that he is the correct man who married my grandma back in 1915. At this time he was in the Royal Welch Fusiliers. The had a son, born in 1916 at Ashton-in-Makerfield, my grandmother's home town.
Can anyone help..............
Feel(l like I'm banging my head against a brick wall and it's starting to hurt a bit
Margaret

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Tracing Fred Jones from Birkenhead, I think
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 27 February 05 16:52 GMT (UK) »
Have you tried the army records?   They are generally very good.
Andrea

Offline Tati

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Ephraim's daughter to infinity & beyond
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 27 February 05 17:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Margaret,
Have you actually seen the 1901 census? It doesn't look like Horatio Street - rather Willaston ?Row? or ?Lane?...
Also, his relation to the head of the household is not very clear, but looks like 'svon', as do others on the page.

Tanja   

"My dear, I think the English pronounce it 'appiness"  

I'm afraid of no ghost

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline marith2004

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 28 February 05 18:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tanja

Yes u are right, I don't know how I could have made such a mistake.  Wishful thinking, that it was!!!!
Ser stands for servant, I think.
Now back to the drawing board.
If he was 26 when he married in August 1915, then by reckoning he must have been born in 1889, and there are a few Frederick Jones's who were born in B'Head during this year. three in fact.

So now, I have to buy three certs, one by one, to see if any have father as Walter. Ah, well, more £7 cheques, and more waiting, I suppose. But thanks for pointing my error out.
Margaret

Offline Tati

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 28 February 05 19:12 GMT (UK) »
Margaret,

What about 1891? Did you find him? I'm afraid none of the 3 boys named Frederick Jones aged 1 or 2 and born Birkenhead on the 1891 Census belong to a family with a father named Walter. There's
1 with parents Thomas and Alice
1 with parents Edwin and Ada and
1 (age 1) with parents Edward and Hannah.

I'm not sure you won't spend your money in vain for the 3 certificates. 
As a matter of fact, I couldn't find any Frederick Jones aged 1 or 2 with a father Walter in Cheshire  >:(

Sorry.
Tanja   

I'm afraid of no ghost

Offline Tati

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 28 February 05 19:17 GMT (UK) »
Oh yes, what I wanted to say too for the boy aged 11 in 1901: I'm not at all sure it says servant. On the same page, there's what seems exactly the same spelling, something like 'svon' for a boy aged 5 obviously rather a son than a servant.
Tanja

I'm afraid of no ghost

Offline marith2004

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 28 February 05 20:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tanja

U are much better at this than I am.  Lookng closely at this printed page of census, you are correct. It is the handwriting that puts me off. It is son. But then if it is, then does it seem to you that because ada is 39yrs and George is 32 yrs, that perhaps Frederick could be her son, perhaps illegitimate, or she was widowed from someone called Walter? Or am I clutching at straws?
The date of his birth would probably be 1889, and I have already listed 3 births during this particular yr. 8a 494;8a 513; and 8a 534.  It might be worth trying these certs.
Margaret

Offline Tati

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 28 February 05 20:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I'm not that sure I'm good at this. However, wouldn't you think the 3 births you have found could be the ones of the 3 boys said to be born in Birkenhead on the 1891 Census, none of which has a father named Walter? Then none of them would be yours, still.
Also, if it really reads son on the 1901 Census, then I believe it would rule this one out: We have found a boy with a mother named Ada (father Edwin) in 1891. I'd guess (but it's only a guess, of course) she would have been widowed and remarried a Mr. Evans (Census should have said stepson rather than son, in fact).
Perhaps you should try and see if you find a death for an Edwin in the area and a marriage for Ada to Mr Evans just to try and check how likely this theory could be.

How do you know he was born in Birkenhead, anyway?

Doesn't look as though this will be easy...
Tanja   

I'm afraid of no ghost

Offline marith2004

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 01 March 05 12:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tanja
I think I shall juat forget about Frederick Josiah for the present. He has done my head in. I only thought he came from Birkenhead because he married my grandma from 130 Conway St, Birkenhead. And then I found a Walter Frederick and a whole Jones family all living  close to Conway St., and fred's best man George James Gaunt appeared to have been brought up in Birkenhead...................

I may go back to a birth cert. i have got for a Frederick Josiah Jones born 19/03/1890 in the workhouse at Pontypool, Monmouthshire. Mother Florence unmarried.................

Thanks for all yr help, I will keep on looking, but just now I think my grandmas was quite right to divorce him!!!!!
Margaret