Author Topic: Visit to Chepstow for Family History search  (Read 6238 times)

Offline aem lanarkshire

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Visit to Chepstow for Family History search
« on: Sunday 19 July 09 15:20 BST (UK) »
Hi

I am coming down to the south of England from Scotland at the end of next month and I was going to stop off in Chepstow/Brockweir area to see what info I can find about a relative who used to live in the area.  Does anyone one have any good sources of information i.e  1950 onwards for family history or put me in touch with any local contacts.

Audrey
Bouncing Emails

MUIR ~ MOTHERWELL   MCCLURG  ~  MOTHERWELL     BLUNN ~ MOTHERWELL
CROWLEY, RUTHERFORD, FELLOWS, ALLAN

Offline chepstowgirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Visit to Chepstow for Family History search
« Reply #1 on: Monday 03 August 09 19:46 BST (UK) »
This site might be worth a visit. I live in chepstow, let me know if I can help with your searching.

http://www.monfh.org.uk/

Julie
Wright - Lincolnshire; Daymond - Devon; Murray - Co Cork; East - Hereforshire; Underwood - Blaenafon/Trevethin;

Offline aem lanarkshire

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 03 August 09 21:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Julie

many thanks for your info and offer of help, I am looking for a public cemetary in Bulwark area of Chepstow??  My dad's aunt might be buried there, any suggestions as to who to ask??

Also I am looking for a B&B in Chepstow to stay at, any suggestions??

thanks
Bouncing Emails

Offline Keziahemm

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 03 August 09 22:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Audrey

Forest of Dean Family History Society is transcribing parish records, including burials, at the moment Chepstow Municipal Cemetery records are upto 1954.  The site is free to search but you need to register http://www.forest-of-dean.net/

Keziah  :)
Herefordshire: Mytton.
Lincs: Ingham
Northants: Knight (Welford); Linnell;  Gaudern.
Staffs (Brierley Hill, Kingswinford): Wood; Eades.
Somerset: Bailey; Lewis
Warwickshire: (Alcester, Henley in Arden) Lewis; Casey/Keasey
Warwickshire (Birmingham suburbs) Knight
Yorkshire (Bradford):  Ingham

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov

Offline chepstowgirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 04 August 09 12:08 BST (UK) »
Audrey

There is a cemetery in Bulwark, its in Mathern Road. How well do you know the area? I will be happy to help with directions. There are two parts on opposite sides of the road - if you give me an idea of the burial date for the graves you are searching for, I will try to find out roughly where they are likely to be.

For accommodation - let me know your budget and I will do some research for you. There are some nice B&Bs down by the castle but its popular during the summer so I will find as many as I can for you.

Hope this helps, look forward to hearing from you.

Julie
Wright - Lincolnshire; Daymond - Devon; Murray - Co Cork; East - Hereforshire; Underwood - Blaenafon/Trevethin;

Offline aem lanarkshire

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 04 August 09 18:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Julie

Complete stranger to Chepstow, might to visiting nursing home where my dad's aunt died in Bulwark, so would be the nearest.  She died in 1990, so will  be quite a new one.

For the B&B, I am looking for a single around £40 per night, needs to have parking facilities.  Tried on web but I am not finding much, think it might have something to do with being near the borders.

Thanks

Audrey
Bouncing Emails

Offline aem lanarkshire

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 07 August 09 20:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Julie

I have had confirmation today that my dad's aunt funeral took place at Bulwark Pentecostal Church with the burial being at Chepstow cemetery, she died in 1990, her husband died in 1957 and we are not sure if he is buried there too, so will probably need to search both sides.  ??

Thanks
Audrey
Bouncing Emails

Offline chepstowgirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 08 August 09 17:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Audrey

Ok - I know where the Pentecostal church is - its called Bridges Church and is on the main road through Bulwark. The cemetery is about 5 mins walk at the most from there. There are a few nursing homes in our area - the main ones being Severn View, and St Anne's, both are about 20 mins from the church in question. However, there is a residential home much nearer - Bethany I think its called.

If you are willing to give me your uncle and aunt's names, I can have a look in the cemetery for you, and give you some idea of where abouts you will find their graves.

As for accommodation, I have found a few places for you - do you want me to post the info on here, or would you rather it in an email? Im happy to share my email address with you. That way I can email you maps as well.

Julie x