Author Topic: Peterkin, Mary- Born Scotland abt. 1845 probably Aberdeenshire or Banffshire  (Read 5596 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Peterkin, Mary- Born Scotland abt. 1845 probably Aberdeenshire or Banffshire
« Reply #18 on: Monday 20 July 09 17:48 BST (UK) »
Mother Ann could have joined Mary and family after the 1881 census in Scotland, could explain why there is no death showing for her. That death entry in Toronto would certainly fit (and fit that IGI entry in Carmyllie to David Watt & Agnes Fleming). I wonder if son/brother James may also have gone out to Canada, can't easily see him either in 1891 in Scotland.

If you are looking to round things off, in your position I would certainly look at that 1855 death cert. It may provide you with the final verification you need.

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sesd

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Peterkin, Mary- Born Scotland abt. 1845 probably Aberdeenshire or Banffshire
« Reply #19 on: Monday 20 July 09 23:40 BST (UK) »
I checked the Canadian immigration records and found Mary Peterkin, 25 years old, from Scotland, arrived at Montreal on August 29 1870 as a servant. From the way the register was written, it looked as though she was servant to the family of Charles Armstrong, farmer also scottish.

I wonder if her marriage to George Moir was pre-arranged, or if she just worked fast to find a man and be married less than a month later.

Does anyone know if arranged marriages were common then? I will also check to see if I can find George traveling to Scotland in the year before the marriage.
Duff, Stewart, McEachern, McCann, McDougall, Walters, Beynon, Griggs, Smith, Mellor, Haigh, Gayfer, Bird, Burnside, McCool, Lowrey, Skinner, Tolmie, McIntosh, Proctor, Broadhead, Biernes, Winn, Woodley, Wyman, Robertson, Young, Cochrane, Carson, O'Malley, McKnight, Grose, Currie, Valentine, Higginson, Gillespie, Avery, Black, Moon, Richardson, Harvey, Cowling

Offline flst

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 21 July 09 00:00 BST (UK) »
I'd think there's a good chance that she knew George Moir beforehand. I have n't come across arranged marriages, but one of my husband's ancestors married a girl a month after she joined him in South America. Both came from Aberdeenshire, he, from Old Deer,she,from Strichen.It was extremely common for farm & domestic servants to emigrate in an attempt to better themselves.
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline Sames

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 25 April 22 19:51 BST (UK) »
Hello,  I have just read these posts and have come across some familiar names that show up in my family tree.  The first is the surname Peterkin and the second one is Moir.  In my family tree Ann Peterkin McBain (sp) (DOB Oct 1797) who married Alexander Anderson and their youngest child was named George Moir McBain (Jan 1840) (sp).  All these events took place in Fife. I Have been trying to find out where the name Peterkin and Moir came from?  I'm wondering if there may be some connection here? Thanks,  Susan