Author Topic: *Completed*James and Susannah SIDNEY in 1851 and beyond  (Read 2682 times)

Offline Philcandy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: James and Susannah SIDNEY in 1851 and beyond
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 02 August 09 22:26 BST (UK) »
Glad to help further once I have deciphered it all, hoping to transcribe it up - so when I have completed it I will contact you again to send a copy if useful to you.

I have in the meantime had a quick glance at the scribbled notes I made from my first look and there are two daughters married names quoted as follows:

Ann (daughter) wife of Benjamin Hoddinott
Elizabeth (daughter) wife of Joseph Highett.

Apparently James Harding bought Henley Grove House in Milton Clevedon in the late 1700's and the family lived there (according to british-history.ac.uk) until the late 1800's  - so I think I might have a go at trying to piece together the property occupants from each census - this should help narrow down the dates for the daughter marriages from when they left the family home as well as sorting out there respective ages and order of siblings.

Will be in touch when I have more
Regards,
Paula

Hi Paula

I'm looking forward to any further tidbits you can provide about this family.

In the meantime, I thought you'd be interested to know that two of Elizabeth's sons - John HIGHETT and William HIGHETT - emigrated to Australia and became wealthy and influential 'squatters'  in the 1830s and 1840s. What's more, one of the sources in Australia says that they settled near their cousin, William HARDING, so I have been trying to figure out who that would be. I now think that he is a son of Robert HARDING, whom you mentioned in an earlier posting, so this Will is already proving to be a bit of a goldmine in terms of unravelling this particular branch of the HARDING family.

Kind regards

Phil Candy

Offline jennyjoyce

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: *Completed*James and Susannah SIDNEY in 1851 and beyond
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 10 November 09 01:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone,

I just stumbled on this discussion.  I am descended from John Highett, and therefore from Elizabeth Harding.  Phil Candy was speculating who John and William Highett's cousin, William Harding was.  William was the son of Robert Harding (1782-1865) and Mary Follat Phillips (1783-).  William and his sister, Elizabeth Phillips Harding, came to Victoria in 1841.  Robert Harding was the son of James Harding (1734-1816) and Elizabeth Welch (1743-1838) and his sister Elizabeth married Joseph Highett in Stinsford in 1805.  James was the son of James Highett (1707-1756) and Mary Higgins.  James in turn was the son of William Harding (1680-1710), the son of William (1650-1737) and Michal (-1730), the son of William (1626-1684) & Jane Best (-1709), the son of William and Margaret Sheppard. (not very imaginative with their names, were they?

I started looking into the Hardings again today because I received a newsletter from the Port Phillip Pioneer association with an article about a Johanna Alice Gill nee Harding, the daughter of John Alfred Harding born 1849 in Piddlehinton.  The article says he was a cousin of the Highetts and William and Elizabeth Harding who settled in Vic, but I haven't yet identified him.

I have a couple of questions on information in these posts.

1.  Phil mentioned that a George Harding married Ann Welch c 1799.  Where does this come from?  I have her name as Ann, but no maiden name.

2.  Paula mentioned a will of James Harding died 1816.  Where does this come from?  I would dearly love a copy as he is my direct ancestor?

Hope we can all be of help to each other
Regards
Jenny Joyce

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 10 November 09 05:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jenny,

A Big Welcome to RootsChat  ;D

While we are waiting for Phil and Paula you may like to read this thread.

htthttp://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,401785.0.html

The marriage I see (Index only) I presume comes from a very difficult to read entry. It just give the date and month as unreadable 1809, by licence at Kelston

Cheers Kris  :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline owlpen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 07 February 22 16:03 GMT (UK) »
Hello to you,
Are you able to lay your hands on Nicholas Royle's book on the Harding family, or transcripts of it?
I am looking into the earlier Hardings of Harden, Great Bedwyn and Pewsey.
Best,
Nicholas