Author Topic: Tomlinson arrival, Help please.  (Read 1560 times)

Offline ouma

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Tomlinson arrival, Help please.
« on: Monday 20 July 09 14:53 BST (UK) »
Is there anyone who could please help me in establishing the arrival of Thomas Tomlinson.

I have departure Port,year and Destination but no ship names! and hopefully one of them is

my Thomas.

I have Tomlinson T born 1857 leaving from London for South Africa destination East London in 1891

Tomlinson  born 1858 depart Southampton destination Cape in 1895

Tomlinson born ?  depart Southhampton destination Cape in 1890

"           "          "                 "                      "           "         1893 and 1896.

The last four don't have initials  so ....  :-\

Thanks Ouma
America - Van Boskerk
England - Bingle,Tomlinson
South Africa - Grove,Wannenburg,Nelson

Offline rutti tutti

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Tomlinson arrival, Help please.
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 July 09 18:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Ouma - firstly thanks so much for your lookups in CT it really is appreciated!
What was the occupation of your Thomas and do you know when he was born? i will see what i can find for you - is it Cape ports or Durbs?

Ruth
in lovely sunny Durbs!!!
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ouma

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Tomlinson arrival, Help please.
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 22 July 09 09:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Rutti Tutti

Thomas was born in Manchester I thought in 1959 as marriage and death note age worked out to that but it could be 1857 as rootschatters have only been able to find one Thomas who could be a likely candidate! This Thomas married Harriet Lloyd and they had a daughter Milly. Unfortunately Harriet died in 1897 and  Thomas and Milly cannot be found on the 1901 census but were on the 1891
His occupation was a house painter.

Now Thomas married my ggrandmother in April 1898 and it stated that he was a widower and as the rootschatters say he could have come out here before Harriet died and then Milly could have followed after. She was born in 1879
His occupation was a restaurant waiter.

So now I'm looking for a Thomas Tomlinson who arrived between 1891 - 1898 and a Milly.
The thing with Milly is that my grandmother born 1899 named Cecelia Mildred was known as Milly! (After a dead half sister perhaps?)

Anyway, the ports I think would have been Cape Town unless he got off here!
I have also come across 2 other Thomas' , one committed suicide in Malmesbury and another living in Woodstock (same place as my one but a no go. The post must have been great in those times!!!)  ;D

That's my brick wall and if you can help I will be very gratefullllllllll! 

Ouma   :)
America - Van Boskerk
England - Bingle,Tomlinson
South Africa - Grove,Wannenburg,Nelson