Author Topic: 5th Dragoon Guards  (Read 2667 times)

Offline redbert

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
5th Dragoon Guards
« on: Monday 20 July 09 21:46 BST (UK) »
Hello All, can any-one help me trying to find if the 5th Dragoon Guards were stationed in Manchester 1830-1840, possibly in the MANCHESTER BARRACKs !!!!!!!
Would be most grateful for any help on this issue many Thanks  redbert

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 5th Dragoon Guards
« Reply #1 on: Friday 24 July 09 21:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Redbert

They arrived from Dublin in April 1834 and left for Edinburgh in May 1835. They were also in Manchester 1840 to 41. The main body would have been in Hulme barracks, with detachments in places like Oldham, Ashton and Salford. They may also have had a Depot in Maidstone or Chatham, but I cannot be certain.

If you have an interest in a particular man, I can show you how you can check to see if his service records have survived.

Ken

Offline redbert

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 24 July 09 22:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Ken, very grateful for your info, i trust the Hulme Barracks were known as the Manchester Barracks am i correct !!!!!!
I had some info from the Book " In Search of a Forlorn Hope" by Kitzmiller, you have verified that info Thanks

I am searching for my G/G/G/Dad (JAMES KING) who i have marrying my G/G/G/mum in Stockport in St Mary's Church Market Sq April 1835, my problem is he was a Musician, & i am not sure that records for his movements with the 5th would be the same as a Soldier, i might be totally wrong on this, but would he as a musician been trained to fight in the front line !!!!!, i know as a fact he became the BANDMASTER of the 5th, & was discharged in LONGFORD Ireland in 1850, he was also a Military Composer Music having penned well over 40 piece's, all i have discovered are held by the British Museum, i am trying to buy up this Music, so that i can have his music come to life once again, alas this is harder than i thought, as modern Brass Bands appear not to be in favour of old style Polka's & Military march's shame, in affect i am trying to trace his movements with the 5th, perhaps i am being a wee bit to optomistic in my quest, would you know of a assosiations ken that may assist Many Thanks would be grateful for any advise Redbert

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 25 July 09 05:26 BST (UK) »
As you know when he was discharged I take it you have his papers from Kew. Surviving ones can be searched on the Catalogue for men discharged before the end of 1854,

Hulme is in Manchester, so I would guess they are the same. He was a Dragoon first and a bandsman second, and I found this by googling - http://www.rdgmuseum.org.uk/titles.htm

Good luck in your search for a brass band to play his tunes. You could try the regimental museum. They mght provide an introduction to the current Director of Music.

Ken

Offline redbert

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 25 July 09 11:45 BST (UK) »
Cheers Ken will visit the 5th D/G's museum in YORK shortly, see what records they have if any Thanks Redbert