Author Topic: Alfred Percy Phillips  (Read 700 times)

Offline poppyann

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Alfred Percy Phillips
« on: Tuesday 21 July 09 08:43 BST (UK) »
Alfred was born about 1889 in Yorkshire, England. He arrived on the Baltic to New York on 6th April 1912. He told his family that he would send for them but never did. I would appreciate any info about him, if he married again etc. Regards Poppyann

Offline nickgc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • GGF J. James McLellan 1864-1908
    • View Profile
Re: Alfred Percy Phillips
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 21 July 09 10:20 BST (UK) »
Of the 15 Alfred Phillipses born England in 1920 US census, only one comes very close to age 31.  He is in Chicago with 29 yo wife Dora and says he came to US in 1911.  Dora came 1910, so likely pre-marriage.

Not really enough info for definitive conjecture that he is yours.  This one says parents born Russia.  Any more info?

Nick
McLellan - Inverness
Greer - Renfrewshire
Manson - Aberdeen & Orkney
Simpson - Hereford, Devon, etc.
Flett - Orkney
Chisholm - Scotland
Wishart - Orkney
Shand - Aberdeen
Pirie - Aberdeen

-----
Theology is never any help; it is searching in a dark cellar at midnight for a black cat that isn't there.   -Robert Heinlein

Offline poppyann

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 21 July 09 12:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks Nick,  perhaps he went to USA and then on to Canada. He originally told his family that he was going to Canada. So that may be another option. As far as we know he was never divorced form his wife Lily. Any further help would be appreciated. Regards Poppyann

Offline KarenMcF

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 23 October 23 23:45 BST (UK) »
Hi there,
Alfred Percy Phillips, I have also been trying to trace him as he was the brother of my gt grandfather in England. I have that he went to USA in 1912 leaving his wife and 2 daughters behind, but assumed he went to Canada from there. He sailed to Liverpool in June 1932 address stayed at 91 Bold Street, Moss Side, was his mothers address at the time. His mother was also in Canada between 1915 and 1925 when she returned to England, she seemed to be visiting her sons. 3 sons had been in Canada, albeit the other 2 of them moved to and died in USA. He returned to back to Canada in July 1932, destination address his wife Mabel Phillips 152 Cowan Ave, Toronto. Shipping record suggests he had resided in canada from 1915 to 1932. He must have remarried . His 1st wife Lily remarried in England. I was not able to find him on a census in Canada. Has anyone been able to find out when and where he died?

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 24 October 23 07:22 BST (UK) »
Hi and a warm welcome to rootschat poppyann has not been active on here since 2017
She will receive an notification you have posted if her contact details are the same and hopefully reply ..I had a quick look and Alfred Percy Phillips is still at the same address on the 1968 Voters List in Canada along with a Miss Gladys Phillips possibility a daughter
No sign of Mabel ..Alfred would be a good age in 1963 not seeing any deaths so far

Rosie