Author Topic: Meaney family, Tipperary  (Read 4366 times)

Offline Aldeas

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Meaney family, Tipperary
« on: Tuesday 21 July 09 16:46 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help please?  I am looking for my great grandfather  Edward Meaney who I understand was born in Tipperary  c.1847 and died at the aged of 34 in Birkenhead, Cheshire in 1881.    His profession was a Coachman and he  married a Catherine Ellis  of Flintshire in  Liverpool in 1875.  They had 6 children all born in Birkenhead : Annie b1872; Edward John b1875; Margaret  b1876;  William Augustus b1879 and twins Johanna and Catherine b1880.  Edward's father also came from Tipperary and his profession is given  as a Car Proprietor.  They were Roman Catholics and could have been born in the Cashel area.  The family we understand had an interest in horses.
An Edward Meany leased a house and 5 acres of land at 23 Lalor's Lot in the town of Cashel in the parish of St John Baptist, Co.Tipperary and Edward Meany leased a house and small garden at 18d in the townland of Killurney in the civil parish of Temple-Etney, Co.Tipperary.
There is an Edmund Meany born 4.12.1816 Cashel,  son of John Meany and Margaret Eustace.   Sponsors Thomas Loyde and Mary Heney.  Could this be our Edward's father?.
Brother of  above is Patrick Meaney born 8.5.1819 Cashel,  son of John Meany and Margaret Eustace sponsors Edmund Meany and Mary Luby. 
Other children of John & Margaret Eustace 17.10.1809 John; 19.1.1811 Alice; 14.7.1812 Margaret; 19.10.1814 Judith.
There is also a birth recorded 23.10.1844 Ballybricken & Bohemore, Co.Limerick, Ireland (next county to Tipperary) Father Edmond Meany, address unknown, mother Margaret unknown, Roman Catholics. Edward and Catherine's  first child christened Annie (could have been after Catherine's mother who was Ann and second girl was called Margaret (could have been named after Edward's mother Margaret if this is the correct birth register)

If anyone can help with the above I would be extremely grateful.

Offline Dazel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Meaney family, Tipperary
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 06 September 09 06:05 BST (UK) »
Hi

I can't really help but you might like to know that my g-g-g-grandfather James Dunn was married to a Judith Meany.  They lived in Mullinahone, Tipperary, and had at least 6 children that I know of, baptised there between 1834 & 1846.  I have no further information about Judith or her family.

best wishes

H

Offline Aldeas

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Meaney family, Tipperary
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 06 September 09 11:50 BST (UK) »
Hi

Many thanks for your reply.  It would be interesting to find out  if  Judith, child of John & Margaret Eustace has any connection with your Judith Meany.  Unfortunately I don't have much information on the Meany family.  All I know is that my gt.grandfather and his family came from Tipperary but do not know which area.

Regards Aldeas