Author Topic: Mystery Boarder 1911 census  (Read 3180 times)

Offline DudleyWinchurch

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mystery Boarder 1911 census
« Reply #9 on: Monday 10 August 09 10:43 BST (UK) »
There is also a possibility that she wasn't called Davies at all.  Just that the head of household dittoed the surnames down the page. 

Have you seen the original page or just a transcription?
McDonough, Oliver, McLoughlin, O'Brien, Cuthbert, Keegan, Quirk(e), O'Malley, McGuirk (Ireland)
Dudley, Winchurch, Wolverson, Brookes (Black Country)
Concannon, Moore, Markowski (Markesky), Mottram, Lawton (Black Country)

Offline O1dgobbo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 10 August 09 11:39 BST (UK) »
Hi

I think that Tazzie's Ada Gertrude Roberts deserves a closer look.  The Freebmd record is

Births Apr-Jun 1904 Rochford 4a 727

when I search the 1911 census for this child I am told no record exists.

It is possible that she died before the 1911 census: Freebmd has six deaths of an Ada Roberts of about the right age between 1904 and 1911 but all well removed from Southend and there is no Ada Gertrude death.  So it is quite possible that the boarder, Ada Gertrude Davies, was born Ada Gertrude Roberts but proving it is beyond my ability.

All the best

Gobbo
Aberdeenshire - Chalmers, Crocker, Dalrymple, Kelman
Fife - Co?per, Dun, Jackson
NE England - Harland, Hasted, Heaviside, Longridge, Thompson
SE England - Drawbridge, Hall, Hayward, Howard, Newell, Seward, Slade, Smith

Offline DCS

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 10 August 09 12:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Marian,

I have found a family tree on Ancestry that has your family on there.  On the list of children for Archibald Davies and Frances Eleanor Marshall there is a girl (living) who could be Ada Davies.  She is listed above Thomas William who was born 1909 - and when the couple married - and so theoretically is younger than Thomas?

Regards

Diana
Speller (Thaxted, Prittlewell, West Ham), Thompson (East Peckham, Romford), Wright (Gt Marlow, Romford, Dagenham, Queensland Australia), Cutler (Herts), Channer (High Wycombe), Baker (Romford, Ilford, Stratford)

Offline Marian Brown

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 10 August 09 18:43 BST (UK) »
Thanks again to everyone who has replied to this query I really do appreciate your help

To Gobbo - I know for certain that Ada Gertrude was alive in 1911  as it was on the 1911 census that I first knew of  her aged 11 years. Unfortunately I only looked at the transcription and not the original page.

To Diana - Could you please tell me on which Family Tree you found Archibald Davies and Eleanor Marshall showing a child born before Thomas William as I haven't found this Tree and it may be of some help.

Thanks again

Marian

Offline DCS

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 10 August 09 20:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Marian,

It's Reg Brown who I thought must be related to you.  Tree is called Davies family.  I used Thomas William Davies born 1910 Yorkshire as the search person in Ancestry.

Hope it helps but I suspect you've already seen this tree.

Regards

Diana
Speller (Thaxted, Prittlewell, West Ham), Thompson (East Peckham, Romford), Wright (Gt Marlow, Romford, Dagenham, Queensland Australia), Cutler (Herts), Channer (High Wycombe), Baker (Romford, Ilford, Stratford)

Offline Marian Brown

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 10 August 09 20:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Diana
The Davies Tree is mine.  I think perhaps you have mistaken Ida for a sibling of Thomas William when she was in fact his wife.  I have actually just this minute found out her surname so have added it to my tree to stop any further confusion.
Marian

Offline DCS

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 10 August 09 20:39 BST (UK) »
Hi marian,

No I was looking at the children of Thomas Archibald Davies and Frances Eleanor Marshall.  You have an older child there, female, who is 'living' who I assumed might be Ada Gertrude.  You have the census details on Thomas Archibald Davies' details and you state that Ada Gertrude was lodging with them in 1911.

I expect then this 'living' female must be another sibling.

Never mind, it was worth pointing out.  Might not have been your tree!

Regards

Diana