Author Topic: Coastguard - North Antrim  (Read 9371 times)

Offline Simon Chard

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Coastguard - North Antrim
« Reply #9 on: Friday 19 February 10 13:14 GMT (UK) »
Bhoy,

I see that someone on the thread below talks about William Chard (Coast Guard, Antrim). He's my Great, Great, Great Grandfather. Does this person have a connection to you?

Simon

Offline Simon Chard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 19 February 10 13:17 GMT (UK) »
William Henry Chard (born 1818 Yarmouth) married to Sarah Ann Mitchell, I'm descended from his son James (4/8/1847 Ballycastle, Antrim).

Offline partially

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 26 May 10 23:40 BST (UK) »
The thread is a little old, but hopefully someone can answer.  The following is information I have from family memoirs:

Catherine was born in 1863 in Cushenden / Cushendall, County of Antrim, Northern Ireland - first child of Rosetta (nee McNeill) and William Chard, then a coast guard officer of some distinction in Northern Ireland.  She emigrated alone to Australian in 1883.  Although travelling alone, her older step brother, William and step sister Elizabeth, had settled in Brisbane before her.

The step brother named William may in fact be called James, the memoir is somewhat factually incorrect.  I do not have a name for William's first wife, though I can't imagine that their were that many Coastguards named William Chard.  Do you know Simon if Sarah Ann had those additional children?  Or anyone else can answer as well =).  I found the following information on the LDS index search:

Groom: William Chard
Bride: Rose Mcneill
Date: 12 Jun 1860
Place: Layd, Ant, Ire
Groom's Father: William Chard
Bride's Father: Daniel Mcneill

and here is another child of this marriage, that I found in addition to Catherine (though a record for Catherine was not in the LDS, has anyone investigated Chard's in Antrim?):

Name: Rosetta Chard
Birth Date: 16 Dec 1865
Place: Ballycastle, Antrim, Ireland (page 98 in civil register)
Father: William Henry Chard
Mother: Rosanne Mcneill

it seems he may have even married a third time, while in Ballycastle (though without additional information it could easily be someone else):

William H Chard 1867 MARRIAGE Ballycastle Registration District, volume 11, page 133

If anyone can provide additional information on these people it would be greatly appreciated!  ;D

Offline partially

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 27 May 10 06:09 BST (UK) »
righto so I have been investigating a bit more and the situation is becoming even more confused.

I know that a lot of the Chard's went to Brisbane, Australia.  I found the following:

Death
1889/21740   Catherine   Hamilton     -  father: William Chard    mother: Rosetta McNeill

Marriage
1887/11772   Cushing   William Heavingham    -     Chard   Rosetta
Death
1895/3144   Rosetta   Cushing   -   - ** born Ireland aged 29 years [date matches closely the Ireland birth, no parents given]

Marriage
1875/4727   Chard   Elizabeth       -      Sherwin   William
Death
1941/50813   Elizabeth   Sherwin   -   father: William Henry Chard   mother: Sarah Ann Mitchel

Death
1930/12164   James   Chard   -   father: William Henry Chard   mother: Eliza Mitchell

This James is definitely related as the newspaper obituary mentions his sister Mrs Sherwin.  Note however that the mothers first names are different (could be a transcription error but it would seem somewhat odd to have them that different).  What I found on LDS mentions that Sarah Ann's marriage to William occurred around 1849, which gives credence to it being different people as the date of birth for James that Simon gives further up in this thread is earlier than this.  Does anyone have records of the Mitchell's of Antrim, which has Sarah Ann (which I am sure of since there is a gravestone in Layd churchyard) and possibly Eliza married to William Henry Chard?

As a side note of interest James Chard was in fact the captain of the Pearl, which was involved in one of the worst shipping accidents in Brisbane history when it overturned.  Information of which can easily be found by searching for Pearl tragedy.

Offline Simon Chard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 27 May 10 11:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Geoff

Well done, yes all your details are correct. James, mother was Sarah Ann Mitchell so I'd suggest a transcription error.

Thank you for your details on Elizabeth Sherwin. This is a new lead for me to track down the family.

In March I met with Joan Katherine Butler (nee Chard) daughter of James Albert Chard (B:1913) son of William Henry Chard (B:1883) son of James Chard (B:1847) son of William Henry Chard (B:1818).

What is you relation?

Simon

Offline jdrjem

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 28 June 15 05:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks all for this remarkable information. I am researching the McNeill line for my wife whose father was Guy McKenzie McNeill and her great grandfather was William McNeill b. abt 1835 whose father was Daniel McNeill b. abt 1812  married to Mary Darroch. It seems Daniel was a Superintendent of the Antrim Coast Guard, which is fascinating to me as I was in the RCN.
I am interested in learning more about Daniel, his family and his father Daniel and mother Rachel Luke and families. What I have seen on these and other posts is very helpful.  http://www.rootschat.com/forum/Smileys/classic/grin.gif

Offline Redy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 21 November 21 09:04 GMT (UK) »
Hello this is a query 10 years after the last conversation below about William Henry Chard on rootschat. I just searched for William's grave in Cushendall and this rootschat conversation came up in the search. He was my Great great great grandfather and his daughter Katherine Hamilton (nee Chard) who came to Australia was my Great great grandmother and daughter of William and his second wife Rose McNeill. I am very interested to read about his coast guard work and anything else you may know about him. Although Cornish by birth he seems to have had a strong connection to County Antrim and I wondered if his coast guard work took him in that direction? Or did he move from Cornwall to that part of Ireland? I hope to also research the McNeills. Any light you can shed on my ancestors will be gratefully appreciated.

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 21 November 21 09:38 GMT (UK) »
Hello Deborah,

Welcome to RootsChat, although this topic is 10 years old the member Bhoy is still active and was online a few weeks ago, they will be notified of your reply by email.

Regards

Sarah :)
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Bhoy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 18 May 22 16:05 BST (UK) »
Hello this is a query 10 years after the last conversation below about William Henry Chard on rootschat. ...Any light you can shed on my ancestors will be gratefully appreciated.

Deborah,

Sorry for the delay in replying.  Yes, it was his coastguard work that took him to Ireland. He went first to Donegal in 1840 and on to Antrim in 1843.

Rose Anne McNeill was a native of County Antrim. She was born on 27 May 1832 to father Daniel, a farmer. William Henry and Rose Anne married on 12 Jun 1860 in Layde parish, Antrim, witnessed by Michael McQuaig & Alexander Gray.