Author Topic: Archibald Young  (Read 10041 times)

Offline Templar75

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Archibald Young
« Reply #9 on: Friday 31 July 09 23:38 BST (UK) »
Hi David,

thanks a lot for this it is fantastic, by the way I love your sense of humour.

I can remember the Woods or Wood family from Portobello I think one was called Mary Wood or Woods who lived I think in Kings Road Portobello, I was about 8 years old when I met her( 1953 ), my dads cousin was a Robert Wood or Woods, he had a son called Robert and a daughter called Margaret, other than that I will need to find out more.

My dads cousin is still alive and he is aged 92 and lives in Portobello, his side was McDaid, that was from my grandmothers family. Archibald Tait Young is my great grandfather, George Young was my grandfather, when he was married at the Manse in Newcraighall on the 27th March 1914, his address at that time, I have just found out was 25 Second Avenue Newcraighall.

The witnesses were James Young and Bella Young, when it comes to the parents names it has Archibald Young there is no " T " for Tait and Elizabeth Young ( Coutts ) which tells me that they were both alive at the time of his marriage

My grandmother was Roman Catholic and George was Protestant, this I felt in those days was taboo, eventually they were given a blessing in St, Johns Chapel in Portobello in 1927, I had the hunch that there were more Young's but was never told anything.

My dads family consisted of, Archibald ( My dad ) Hugh, Jean, Isabella and George, all born at 15 Pipe Street Portobello, my grandmother stated one time that she had lost a child named Robert. As stated above George ( Granddad ) worked I think at the Woolmet Pit, Elizabeth McDaid ( Grandmother ) worked at Buchans Pottery works at Portobello.

Once again thanks for the well detailed information David.

Best regards.

Archie.

Offline Woodsd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 01 August 09 19:28 BST (UK) »
Archie

You are welcome to the information.  Glad to be of help.  The more good that comes out of my failed first marriage the better!  As well as an ex-wife and fearful ex-mother-in-law, I have an estranged daughter.  At least I have been able to divorce the ex-wife and ex-mother-in-law.  You have the pleasure of being related to all of them!

From my wife's friend, I believe that Archibald Tait Young was born in Loanhead on 22 April 1862, and died in Newington on 9 September 1940.  He married Elizabeth Coutts on 6 October 1882.  Elizabeth Coutts was born about 1864 and died after 1919

Archibald Tait Young's siblings were William born 2 November 1859 at Lasswade, Helen born 30 May 1857 at Lasswade, Jemima born 18 August 1855 at Lasswade, Jane born 1841 in Edinburgh, Mary born 1852, Janet born 1850 in Edinburgh, and Robert born 1849 in Edinburgh, Julia born 1 September 1868 at Lasswade, unknown female born 21 September 1866 at Lasswade, and James born 1 April 1864 at Lasswade.

Archibald Tait Young's children included Robert born 1898, Bella born 1896, Jessie born 1894, George Coutts Young born 1891 and died 1939, Nelly W born 1899, Annie B born 1887 and James born about 1885 (great-grandfather of my current wife's friend).  This information is probably taken from the census returns, which I think you already have.

After Elizabeth Coutts, Archibald Tait Young's second wife was Nettie Wheelan.

As for religion, lots of catholics and protestants seem to have inter-married, even then.  More often than we realise, common sense (or sexual attraction) overtook false loyalty to churches.

I am no connection at all to the Wood or Woods families that you mention.  My family hail from Ireland, but originally from England.  Unfortunately, we were one of the English families that moved to Ireland for cheap land and to dominate the natives.

Strange though that you mention Pipe Street, Portobello.  My step-son's family lived in Pipe Street.  He is descended from a family called Robertson who lived at 37 Pipe Street & 44 Pipe Street, and  a family called Denholm living at 41 Pipe Street.  These families are recorded there around 1910 and 1930, and the occupations include glass blowers and pottery workers.  Perhaps these folks would at least have been on nodding terms with your people.

Regards

David

Offline daval57

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Christmas 2011. My daughter Clare with me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 01 August 09 19:34 BST (UK) »
Archie

As well as an ex-wife and fearful ex-mother-in-law, I have an estranged daughter.  At least I have been able to divorce the ex-wife and ex-mother-in-law.  You have the pleasure of being related to all of them!

OUCH!

It gets better David.
Or at least, it did for me.
Dave
-------------------
FORREST (Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Stirlingshire and Dunbartonshire)
ROONEY (Co Down, Co Antrim) 
BORTHWICK, FORTUNE, BARKER, SIVES (Lothians)
ANDERSON (Moray, Caithness)

Offline Templar75

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 01 August 09 23:05 BST (UK) »
Hi David,

my commiserations on your past marriage or should I say congratulations, anyway, I am over the moon with all the information you have given me, you will never know how it means to me, it's a shame that some people wicked streaks in them, it's better to part than live a life of hell.

I am glad to see you are better off with your present good Lady.

If I get more on the Wood or Woods family in Portobello do you want it ?.

Best.

Archie.

Offline Woodsd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 02 August 09 18:23 BST (UK) »
Archie

You are very welcome to the information.

No thanks re offer about Wood/Woods family in Portobello.  Definitely no connection to me.

Good luck with the continuing research.

David

Offline Templar75

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 02 August 09 21:47 BST (UK) »
Hi David,

I failed to reply about Pipe street, number 15 was near the top so 37 & 44 must have been down at the Potteries end, my dad worked at the BottleWorks ( Glass Works ) from 1930 until 1968, originally Woods Bottle Works and Coopers Bottle Works, Woods married into the Cooper family and after a split started next door to Coopers, Woods then bought over Coopers and held it till just before the second world war.

United Glass then purchased the company, my dad became a Production Manager and I served my apprenticeship there as a Maintenance Engineer from 1962 till we were made redundant in 1967.
My grandmother ( McDaid ) as stated worked at the Pottery and her father Hugh McDaid was a Fireman there, I think Fireman meant he looked after the Boiler or Furnace and probably a Stoker.

So I think yes definitely David they all knew each other as neighbours and as workmates, strange enough, I remember him mentioning the Robertson family once when he told me of his life in Pipe Street.

Take care David

Best.

Archie.

Offline gedboy

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 08 July 10 21:37 BST (UK) »
Just come across this Templar75 because I have started looking for information for my partner's dad who is the son of William Livingstone and Jessie Young i.e. a mixture of fishermen, fishwives and miners from Fisherrow, Newcraighall and Newtongrange. SCRAN has some interesting images of many Fisherrow and Musselburgh families.

I looked for the football link because Danny had mentioned the Hearts link separately. However, I can't see anything yet. London Hearts' website has nothing. Another possibility would be the Scottish Football Museum at Hampden; in particular the curator Richard McBrearty who might have access to the Scottish Football League registration documents of the era.

Offline Templar75

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 08 July 10 23:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Gedboy,

I tried Heart of Midlothian F.C. but at the time I had no idea where he was born, I now have that and the date so I can maybe try and contact them again to see if they have his name, My dad always told me about the local Tyncastle Pub that had loads of photos on the wall, he visited it one time and recond that his grandfather was in one of them but was not named.

I done some research into the Hearts Club and around the time scale that he was playing the Hearts had three teams, so which one did he play for, again a good execise for me to get on with, I always wish I was able to get the photo my gran had of him in his football strip.

He was a Miner in Newcraighall and was killed in a Pit accident in 1940 aged 79 years, and that is true, a large stone fell on his head when he was underground and he was killed outright, he must have been a very fit man to carry on working till that age.

Cheers.

Archie.

Offline ripriprip

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 07 August 10 21:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Archie,

It's Tammy, the person researching the Gilmerton Inn, that you've been helping with.

I found a post of yours where you were searching for a cousin:

I resent everything to your email addy!!  :D

Tammy Mitchell
BC, Canada

Moderator's Note: email address and details of possible living people removed. It would be best to exchange these details by PM (personal message).