Author Topic: BBC TV "WDYTYA?" Series 7 Episode #2: Chris Moyles  (Read 17679 times)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
Re: BBC TV "WDYTYA?" Series 7 Episode #2: Chris Moyles
« Reply #27 on: Friday 24 July 09 16:08 BST (UK) »
I wasn't impressed that Moyles seemed to think that the only profession worthy of mention in his book was a soldier.

I don't think it was, it was just that was what the BBC chose to concentrate on because lots of us can relate to losing an ancestor in WWI.  He was also interested in his gran and her job in the biscuit factory.  I would have liked to know what happened to his gran's other two siblings when she was sent to Ireland to live with her gran.  Did they stay in Aldershot with dad, or were they farmed out to a different gran - his parents maybe?

Lizzie

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 24 July 09 16:12 BST (UK) »
Yes Lizzie, I wondered that too re the other children.  Also it was interesting how Jacobs was the way - as in many towns - there were really large employers where all the family worked and that Jacobs was now the Dublin Archives.
I thought the 'soldier thing' was because he had been brought up to believe that Moyles was an Irish name for a soldier and he was 'put out' (good humouredly) to find out that it meant 'bald'.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline danuslave

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My fashion sense isn't any better now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 24 July 09 18:58 BST (UK) »
I was astonishly surprised to see that you can search and have access to the 1911 Irish census FREE OF CHARGE!!

Now that is truly amazing.  If only I had Irish ancestors..... :D

Linda
MOXHAM/MOXAM - Wiltshire & Surrey
SKEATS - Surrey
BRETT - Kent & County Durham
and
SWINBANK - anywhere

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mongoose2

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 25 July 09 09:59 BST (UK) »
The one thing I wished they had spent some more time on was the Irish potato famine as most tv only skirt the truth of what happened.
If anyone is interested I recommend a book by John Burrowes called "Irish: The Remarkable Saga of a Nation and a City" in it he describes the Diaspora of nearly 2 million Irish to various parts of the world including over 700,000 to Glasgow. He says that over a million Irish starved to death whilst food was still being exported from Ireland.
I have a copy of my old school history book from the 60's and it has 3 paragraphs on the famine where only a "few thousand died". Talk about the victors writing the history books.
The images of the slums in Ireland in the program were awful and you wonder just how people survived.

Barry
James, Farr in Cornwall and all the others on my website

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 25 July 09 10:56 BST (UK) »
Slightly off topic - it's odd that 700,000 Irish people moved to Glasgow during the Irish potato famine, when Scotland had their own potato famine and thousands of Scots emigrated to Canada, Australia and New Zealand - a fact I didn't know until I holidayed in Scotland earlier this year.

Lizzie

Offline Siamese Girl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 25 July 09 15:22 BST (UK) »
I was astonishly surprised to see that you can search and have access to the 1911 Irish census FREE OF CHARGE!!

Now that is truly amazing.  If only I had Irish ancestors..... :D

Linda

If only they had taken a census in 1811 - before most people's Irish ancestors had left the country!!!

I still haven't watched Mr Moyles - I'm afraid we opted for Midsomer Murders as well (and both went to sleep!)

Carole
CHILD Glos/London, BONUS London, DIMSDALE London, HODD and TUTT Sussex,  BONNER and PATTEN Essex, BOWLER and HOLLIER Oxfordshire, HUGH Lincolnshire, LEEDOM all.

Offline danuslave

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My fashion sense isn't any better now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 26 July 09 12:30 BST (UK) »
If only I had Irish ancestors.....

So much can happen in two days!  Since posting this I have discovered  that there is an Irish link.

Unfortunately the lady concerned was born about 1831, so the 1911 census is still not going to help much   :'(

Linda
MOXHAM/MOXAM - Wiltshire & Surrey
SKEATS - Surrey
BRETT - Kent & County Durham
and
SWINBANK - anywhere

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline maidmarion

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 26 July 09 12:39 BST (UK) »
The best episode for a long time. Good one Chris ;)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 26 July 09 12:42 BST (UK) »
So much can happen in two days!  Since posting this I have discovered  that there is an Irish link.
Unfortunately the lady concerned was born about 1831, so the 1911 census is still not going to help much   :'(
Linda
If she stayed in Ireland she'd only be about 80 in 1911. The 1901 (also free) is due to come online after all of 1911 is completed.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!