Author Topic: Parish christening record of Isaac WHEELER, son of Mary WHEELER, Binfield 1822  (Read 1575 times)

Offline Family Therese

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi!

I wonder whether anyone is able to look at the original parish record of the christening of Isaac WHEELER, son of Mary WHEELER, in Binfield Berks on 2nd February 1822 for me?

I am interested in whether Mary WHEELER was a widow or unmarried, her residence - and any other supplementary information that might have been in the original PR.  (Or BT?)

NB  I have seen "my" Isaac WHEELER's marriage certificate and his father is "UNKNOWN". 

This is NOT the Isaac Wheeler christened in 1824 to parents William and Anne and NOT the one shown with them, age 15, in the 1841 census!

I have already looked at the LDS/IGI web site, the 1841 to 1901 censuses, FreeREG and FreeBMD.  Please don't repeat these searches for me - unless you really want to!  ;-)

I am interested in what it says in the original parish record from Binfield if anyone has access to that.

Thanks very much!

Therese.
Berkshire: Atty, Carter, Dowlin, Knibb, Long, Wheeler.
Devon: Channon, Dunsford, Hawkins, James, Payne, Pope, Snow, Willis, Wilson.
Bristol/Bedminster: Hawkins.
Cambridgeshire: Randall, Squires.
Kent: Burren, Buss, Field, Foster, Gates, Glover, Homewood, Hunt, Large, Link, Rabbitt, Ventum.
Somerset: Adams, Allen, Lockyer, Savage.
Warwickshire: Knibb.
Wiltshire: Akerman, Bourton/Borton, Burden, Clarke, Dodson, Fry, Gray, Lea, Munday, Rummin(ge), Stiles, Stratton, Teagle, Underwood, Weston.

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Parish christening record of Isaac WHEELER, son of Mary WHEELER, Binfield 1822
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 28 July 09 13:18 BST (UK) »
I've looked at a typescript of this register.  No occupation given for Mary, not sure if any particular addresses are included in the original, but none are shown in the transcript.  But it describes Isaac as base-born.

Nell

All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Family Therese

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Parish christening record of Isaac WHEELER, son of Mary WHEELER, Binfield 1822
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 28 July 09 13:33 BST (UK) »
Thanks!  :)

I was mainly checking that it didn't say something like "widow of Fred Wheeler, died this last November" or similar.

In that sense, being "base-born" does fit in with my theory about who his grandparents are.

I don't suppose you have any birth/christening record for any likely "Mary Wheeler" in Binfield have you? 

My thinking is that she is in fact "Mary Ann Wheeler" c1804, daughter of Isaac Wheeler c1780 and Elizabeth <Knibb> c1776, who went on to marry Joseph Fletcher on 16 Nov 1823 (also in Binfield).

Of course, this would be more of a problem if there are another half dozen likely Mary Wheelers!

Perhaps the only way to find any conclusive evidence would be to look at any Poor Law type documents at the BRO, as I gather the Binfield "authorities" at the time were keen on grandparents taking in illigitimate grandchildren.

Since the BRO is first on my list of ROs to visit given the extant 1801 census for Binfield, tracking down any references to base born Isaac at the same time would make sense.

Any thoughts on all this?

Again, many thanks for looking.  :)

Therese.
Kent: Burren, Buss, Field, Foster, Gates, Glover, Homewood, Hunt, Large, Link, Rabbitt, Ventum.
Wiltshire: Akerman, Bourton/Borton, Burden, Clarke, Dodson, Fry, Gray, Lea, Munday, Rummin(ge), Stiles, Stratton, Teagle, Underwood, Weston.

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 29 July 09 12:28 BST (UK) »
Sorry, Therese, I did the look-up "in passing" since it was fresh in my mind.  I won't necessarily get the chance to look again at that more detailed transcript for a while.  From a different transcript, there don't seem to be any others baptised in the parish, but she may not have been born in the parish.  If I remember next time, I'll check the other transcript.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Family Therese

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 29 July 09 13:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much!  :)

Therese.