Author Topic: Peter Kay 1852 Ulverston  (Read 3401 times)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Peter Kay 1852 Ulverston
« on: Thursday 23 July 09 19:50 BST (UK) »
Hi.

Could anyone locate Peter Kay born 1852 Ulverston on the 1901 census.  On the 1891 census he is a widow, his wife Mary died the year before.  The children Mary Ann, Isaac B, Dinah A & Charles are all with him at 56 Sunderland Terrace. Ulverston. Apart from Charles, they all disappear by 1901.  In 1881 he is with his wife at 16 Sunderland Terrace, occupation Cordwainer but Charles who would be 8 is missing.

Any help appreciated.

Thank You.
Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Peter Kay 1852 Ulverston
« Reply #1 on: Friday 24 July 09 14:46 BST (UK) »
Hello Sandra,

no I can't see them either  :(

There are a couple of possible marriages for Peter Kay 1891-1901.
Have you checked 1911- I had a quick look but no joy there either.

If you have no knowledge of the family in later years, perhaps they all emigrated. ???

I thought it odd too that Charles was not with them in 1881  :-\ and that he was at the end of the family - not in age order. When you look closer he looks to be 4 yrs old and there is an appropriate birth- that would explain it. ;)

heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 24 July 09 15:06 BST (UK) »
Thank you Heywood.  You would'nt think there was many possibilites for a mis-spelling of the surname so its reassuring but frustrating not being able to find him.  The marriage 26 April 1893 of Peter Kay born in 1868 Ramsbottom was to Margaret Jane Oldfield (a music teacher) and they had 2 daughters Marion & Eunice but I cannot find anything on the other marriage in June 1892 to Agnes Clarke, although I believe she died in 1933.  I wondered if Charles belonged to another member of his family & perhaps the parents had died but nothing has come to light on that one. I did'nt find any reference on 1911 either and nothing in passenger records or emmigration.

Many thanks for your help.
Best Wishes.
Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 24 July 09 15:09 BST (UK) »
Hi again,
Charles Frederick was born 1886 in Ulverston- if you look at the census transcript you can see that he is 4 yrs and not 11 yrs.
All I can think at the moment is that they emigrated.

best wishes
heywood

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 24 July 09 15:27 BST (UK) »
 Agnes Clarke's daughter Fanny seems to be here as a servant in 1901 RG13; Piece: 3673; Folio: 34; Page: 14  in Chorlton cum Hardy. :-X

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 24 July 09 15:46 BST (UK) »
this is interesting- I think this is  Agnes but still as Clarke  ??? and with younger children  :-\

1901 RG13; Piece: 3673; Folio: 104; Page: 15

I'm now not sure that he married Agnes Clarke- unless I am looking at the wrong one . I can't see the younger children registered as Clarke or Kay- similar names are there as Park and the other possible spouse is Mr Park.
Are you certain that he married Agnes?

aaaghhh!! Just found Hannah Stafford married to John Park  :'(

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 24 July 09 16:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Heywood.

No I am not sure that he married Agnes Clark(e).  It just seemed strange that there appeared to be 2 marriages for a Peter Kay so shortly after his wife died in 1890. One could be discounted because that related to a Peter Kay born in 1868 - some one on British Genealogy had the certificate for that marriage.

The second marriage was mentioned in a post on Rootsweb made in 2000 which said: one of my ggrandmothers Agnes Clark(e) nee Robinson married Peter Kay in Ulverston May 10th 1892.

Thank you for trying to solve this mystery.

Best Wishes.
Sandra

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 24 July 09 17:17 BST (UK) »
Well I can see a marriage for a Joseph Clarke to Agnes Robinson on Free Bmd and then possible deaths for him.
Peter Kay and Agnes  Clarke are possible spouses in a marriage and the other spouses seem to be a couple.
Agnes and Joseph Carter Clarke are in 1881 census
Agnes Clarke in 1891 is a widow with young children.

Then the ?? marriage.

1901 RG13; Piece: 3673; Folio: 104; Page: 15
has Agnes and children with Robert 8 yrs and Isabel 6 yrs.
Young Agnes would perhaps be too young to be the mother of these children so one would assume that they are Agnes.

Then there is the puzzle of these births - I can't see Isabel b 1895 ish in Kendal or Ulverston as Kay/ Clarke.
I am fairly sure that the other spouses -John Park and Hannah Stafford are here in 1901 RG13; Piece: 4005; Folio: 29; Page: 11

So, it looks as though Agnes Clarke from 1891 is the Agnes from 1901 and has two new children and she is in the right place to marry Peter Kay but ...