Author Topic: Why would someone lie on a marriage certificate?  (Read 22717 times)

Offline Indiana.59

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Why would someone lie on a marriage certificate?
« Reply #72 on: Friday 22 February 19 11:35 GMT (UK) »
Many people assume that the reason for a disparity of ages on census and marriage etc. is due to the person lying, but in most cases it is probably because they were simply unsure about when they were born.  Unlike today until the early 20th century there were very few occasions when a person needed to know their age so people did not think about their age. 

I'm sure you are right, Guy, at least some of the time.  Following an individual's entries through a series of censuses, sometimes one finds the age tailing off slowly, as if they had just lost count.  But the details were quite likely supplied by another family member who may also have forgotten.

Another example I have is the Irish death cert for my gt-grandmother, who I suspect was living on her own.  The death was registered by a non-relative, maybe a neighbour, who just guessed an age, several years out, as it happens.

I wish someone could lie about my age and I could be 21 again . . .  ;D

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
Re: Why would someone lie on a marriage certificate?
« Reply #73 on: Sunday 24 February 19 19:38 GMT (UK) »
It does seem confidential though that big age differences are often apparently manipulated
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)