Author Topic: CHATHAM Barracks 1810s  (Read 3743 times)

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
CHATHAM Barracks 1810s
« on: Thursday 23 July 09 21:27 BST (UK) »
Can anyone point me in the direction of sources that can tell me which regiments were stationed at Chatham [Kent] Barracks in 1813 - 1814? It appears an ancestor was born there.

I have viewed the army record of my great great grandfather Philip MURRAY. He was born about 1813- 1814, enlisted in the 87th Regiment in 1837 aged 23 in Nenagh, Tipperary, served 22 years & was discharged in 1859. His son Patrick born 1846 in Dundee Barracks [Dudhope Castle] also served in the 87th from 1864 - 1899.

Philip's record states he was born in Chatham, Kent. The actual place looks like Penzy but I cannot find this. As the Murrays were an Irish family, I am taking a guess that his father too was a serving soldier. I have read that Chatham was often used as temporary accommodation for regiments on their way abroad. Were any regiments there for longer? If a regiment was 'in transit' would its presence have been recorded?

Any help gratefully received.

Many thanks, Josey
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline danuslave

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My fashion sense isn't any better now!
    • View Profile
Re: CHATHAM Barracks 1810s
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 July 09 23:27 BST (UK) »
It looks like Penzy to me too but I can't find anything either.  I've also tried looking for anything that sounds like Penzy or Pensea, but nothing so far.

This could turn into a major quest - tomorrow!

Linda
MOXHAM/MOXAM - Wiltshire & Surrey
SKEATS - Surrey
BRETT - Kent & County Durham
and
SWINBANK - anywhere

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 23 July 09 23:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Josey

A wade through the parish registers of Chatham (include Brompton/Gillngham in your search) will give you some idea of what regiments were there at the time http://cityark.medway.gov.uk/

It was home to the Royal Engineers and Royal Marines also ;)

Best I can think of at the moment is "Perry Street" - how would it sound spoken in an Irish accent?

Casalguidi :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 24 July 09 05:54 BST (UK) »
The man was a Sergeant, and had previously been a Clerk. I doubt if a mistake was made.

Ken

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 24 July 09 11:14 BST (UK) »
My, that archive has plenty of scope for a trawl; thanks casalguidi!!

Linda, thanks for your efforts. And as for your sense of fashion, it's great; I had a coat & hat almost the same haha.

Ken, I agree. I was surprised to see the occupation for a rural Irishman but perhaps Philip learned to read & write in the army rather than before he enlisted. Philip's son became a sergeant instructor of musketry.

Another quick query - on the back of the discharge paper Philip is described as being at least 6 ft tall. Was this unusual for a man born in Ireland in 1813? His complexion was described as 'dark'. Would this have meant olive skinned rather than celtic fair? Family legend has it that there is Spanish blood in our Murray genes!!

Thanks again for your combined help, Josey
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY

Offline MaureeninNY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 25 July 09 09:16 BST (UK) »
Don't throw rocks at me

but that PENZY

could it be PENGE ?

Maureen

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 25 July 09 19:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Josey

If you get the marriage certificate it will (a) give his father's name, which you can then search for on the NA Catalogue for army pensioners, and (b) it may say navy pensioner rather then army pensioner, which will stop you looking in the wrong place.  My GGGF enisted as a Royal Marine in Chatham. They received navy pensions.

There was a permanant garrison in Chatham of both army regiments, and RM companies. They were rotated every year or so.

Regarding height, Wellngton's army was at least inch taller than in WW1, as it was before the worst of the industrial polution in 'the good old days'.

Ken

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 27 July 09 17:57 BST (UK) »
Sorry for the delay - I've been away for a 170th party [sister's 70th, b-in-law's 80th & their 20th wedding anniversary!!].

Maureen - Penge is a possibility. But quite far from Chatham I think? I know in Scotland the written 'z' is pronounced as 'y' but this still doesn't throw up anything.

Ken - unfortunately I do not [yet] know the name of Philip's wife so am unable to find a wedding certificate. As Philip was born in 1814, he may have married as early as 1834; and if the marriage was in Ireland this is long before statutory registration for catholics. However your suggestion that Philip's father may have been in the Royal Marines is intriguing. Are there any archives for Chatham? Would the book 'In Search of the Folorn Hope' help with who was posted there in 1813 - 14 do you think?

Thanks, Josey