Author Topic: HOWELL - St Neots  (Read 2745 times)

Offline adcor

• RootsChat Member
  • so long ago
    • View Profile
HOWELL - St Neots
« on: Friday 24 July 09 02:36 BST (UK) »
Howell line - hoping to get some Help with my Samuel Howell - convict - Born
10th May 1807 Old Meeting House Baptist and Independent High St St Neots father is listed as Howell and mother Honour.  I am trying to get more info on his parents e.g. fathers full name and mother's maiden name.  Samuel had three recorded convictions and I have obtained copies of these from Bed. Council.

Also St Neots is listed as Huntingdon in some articles and Bedford in others.
My Samuel also spent 2yrs on prison Hulk Retribution before arriving in Australia.  Any help would be greatly Appreciated. :)
COOK HOWELL TREACHER TEASDELLLANE LIDDELL MCPHUN FERGUSON MORLEY HILDER BROWN CAMPBELL FOWLES WARTERS DAVIDSON-WORTHINGTON JOHNSTONE AUST. UK IRELAND Wexford - SLY  DOYLE ARMSTRONG MCGEE(scot)

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Howell St Neots
« Reply #1 on: Friday 24 July 09 07:19 BST (UK) »
There's no marriage of a HOWELL to either a (--?--) HONOUR or a Honour (--?--) in Hunts Marriage Index. But as they were non-conformist they could have travelled some distance to attend the church in St Neots (St Neots was always in Hunts, never in Beds). I see that at Samuel's three convictions, where he was resident either at Eaton Socon, Beds (across the river from St Neots) or at Eynesbury, Hunts (which is now part of St Neots).

So the family could have been from Hunts or from Beds, or even from Cambs which is only 5 miles from St Neots. I can't see a suitable marriage on the IGI in Beds, nor in Hunts

Unfortunately Samuel was the only Howell entry in the St Neots Independent Church.

I can't see any obvious burials in Beds Hunts or Cambs, nor any suitable Howells in the 1841 and 1851 censuses

I'm stuck!

David
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 24 July 09 12:34 BST (UK) »
Did the Beds Council - I assume you mean the County Archives - just send you info from the Gaol Database, or did they send Quarter Sessions  Rolls regarding the court hearings. Highlights from Samuel's first offence in 1826 is available from 'Access to Archives'  as follows :-

http://www.rootschat.com/links/06rw/

As he was only 19 at that time, & still a minor, this may have stated who his parents were. 

Additionally these trials may have been reported in the local newpapers, again these would be available at the Archives. 

Regards John
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Partridge - North Beds; Northants & Peterborough
Bishop - Bedford; Hunts, Hemingford Grey
Allen - Hunts, Hemingford Abbotts
Clement - Croydon
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline adcor

• RootsChat Member
  • so long ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 25 July 09 05:21 BST (UK) »
Thanks john for the info.  I did get the goal records for my g.g. grandfather - 3 in all - from the UK.  There is nothing on there about his parents.  I even obtained a copy of the trial - nothing of his parents there either. 
I cant find his parents full names or addresses nor his siblings. His 3rd offfence was stealing pigeons then straight on the hulk Retribution awaiting transportation.  Arrived Sydney in 1833 on the Mangles (6)
He had tattoos left arm SH SH 1829 and a mermaid  right arm IH AH IH SH TH SH. Possibly the initials of his family. I do find the mermaid tattoo unusual.  Regards Debbie Qld
COOK HOWELL TREACHER TEASDELLLANE LIDDELL MCPHUN FERGUSON MORLEY HILDER BROWN CAMPBELL FOWLES WARTERS DAVIDSON-WORTHINGTON JOHNSTONE AUST. UK IRELAND Wexford - SLY  DOYLE ARMSTRONG MCGEE(scot)

Offline adcor

• RootsChat Member
  • so long ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 25 July 09 05:24 BST (UK) »
 :) :) Thanks john

Offline ChuckyB

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: HOWELL - St Neots
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 11 April 19 04:01 BST (UK) »
Howell line - hoping to get some Help with my Samuel Howell - convict - Born
10th May 1807 Old Meeting House Baptist and Independent High St St Neots father is listed as Howell and mother Honour.  I am trying to get more info on his parents e.g. fathers full name and mother's maiden name.  Samuel had three recorded convictions and I have obtained copies of these from Bed. Council.

Also St Neots is listed as Huntingdon in some articles and Bedford in others.
My Samuel also spent 2yrs on prison Hulk Retribution before arriving in Australia.  Any help would be greatly Appreciated. :)

Hi,
I am trying to track down the parents (and ancestors) of Sarah, Thomas and James Howell (born 1844, 1846 and 1849 in Maitland, NSW, Australia). Their father was Samuel Howell who died on 6 Aug 1895.  Do you know if this is the same Samuel Howell that you were asking about?
Thanks,
Charles

Offline adcor

• RootsChat Member
  • so long ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 15 April 19 04:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Chucky...

Yes.. this is the same Samuel Howell.   He and Ann Collins were my g.g.g. grandparents.  I am descended from there son James Howell

Regards
Adcor

Offline solidrock

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 15 April 19 04:38 BST (UK) »
A maybe...
In FamilySearch
 Samuel Howell  baptised 10 May 1807, Old Meeting House Baptist and Independent High St St Neots,  Huntingdonshire.  father Howell.  mother Ann.
On FreeReg
William Howell  m  Ann Wootton  07 Sep 1807, St Mary, Huntingdon.    Groom condition    Widower.

Offline ChuckyB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 15 April 19 09:33 BST (UK) »
Thanks everyone for your help,
Charles