Author Topic: 18th century Wiltshire landowners  (Read 4444 times)

Offline Pip24

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
18th century Wiltshire landowners
« on: Friday 24 July 09 14:38 BST (UK) »
Hi

Are there records of landowners/tennants in Wiltshire in the 18th century and if so, where can I find them?

I am trying to learn as much as I can about an ancestor Richard Higgins, of Wootton Rivers, from the Will he wrote in 1788.  In the Will he not only helpfully names his three children, but lists what he is leaving to them and this includes (apologies for any mis-transcriptions):

I give and desire unto my Son John Higgins All that my Leasehold Tenements Lands Hereditaments and Premises whatsoever situate and being in Wootton Rivers aforesaid called or known by the name of Head. Also I give unto my said Son John Higgins all other my Leasehold and Copyhold Lands Tenements Hereditaments and Premises whatsoever and wheresoever to the use of my said Son John Higgins his Executor Administrators and Assigns Also I give unto my said Son John Higgins all my Household Goods Stock in Trade together with all other my personal Estate whatsoever and wheresoever (after the payment of the above Legacies) whereof or wherein I shall be possessed of or entitled unto at the Time of my Death to and for his own proper use and benefit

Can I find out any more and what does “known by the name of Head” mean?

I’m not used to ancestors who had anything to leave to their offspring!

Offline John in Fram

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: 18th century Wiltshire landowners
« Reply #1 on: Friday 24 July 09 15:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Pip

A good place to start would be the "Apportionment of the Rent Charge in lieu of Tithes". Chippenham RO are the people to approach here

For Indentures and Deeds try A2A, but I could not find any entries for Richard or John Higgins
http://nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline

regards, John
Wilts OPC for Bishopstone, Keevil, Little Hinton, Potterne and Rowde
researching Cue, Hulbert, Hunt, Long, Pope and Redford

Offline Pip24

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 26 July 09 10:41 BST (UK) »
Thanks John
I'll try Chippenham RO.

I also had a PM suggesting this
http://www.wiltshirefhs.co.uk/publications.htm#landtax
It is exactly the right time, but I'm not sure yet if Wootton Rivers is included, but have posted the link in case anyone else is reading this thread and would find it useful

Offline toby webb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 26 July 09 12:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Pip,
          As a bit of background, I recommend Victoria County History Wiltshire Volume 16.
Good luck. Toby.

Offline Pip24

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 26 July 09 14:07 BST (UK) »
Thanks Toby
I just googled that and found loads and loads of background info on the village, houses, schools...
It says where the copyhold farms of the manor house were and I presume Richard Higgins had a farmstead there. It sounds like many of the houses still remain from Richard Higgins' time.
Great resource.
Thank you