Author Topic: Birth registered twice COMPLETED  (Read 1343 times)

Offline Anni B

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Birth registered twice COMPLETED
« on: Friday 24 July 09 20:39 BST (UK) »
I'm looking at a 1928 birth, registered 12 days after the event with the Registrar in the district of Inverness.  Place of birth given as an address within the town of Inverness, informant the mother.  Both parents' names given,  with domicil as Muir of Ord.   Their marriage record found - Muir of Ord, district of Urray in 1925.

11 days after the first,  another registration was made by the mother with exactly the same details as the first but in the district of CONTIN.  Registrar there added "Transcribed at Contin...parish of birth Inverness".

Unless there was some reason, e.g. illegitimacy and a father's name added or mistakes found in the original record,  I would have thought it illegal or deceitful to register a birth twice??

Can anyone shed some light?

Anne

Offline gaucho

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Birth registered twice
« Reply #1 on: Friday 24 July 09 23:37 BST (UK) »
Hi,
not that uncommon- I have a number of relatives who had the birth registered in the district of birth ( eg where the hospital was) and also where they lived. Don't know if it was them or the registrar who did the second one though.
John
McGowan, Dunlop, Watson, Kerr, Rickelton, McLachlan, Devine, Glasgow

Offline flst

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 25 July 09 01:37 BST (UK) »
I have come across that as well. I've even found a death registered twice,but in the same parish & by the same registrar. On one the informant was the deceased's son,on the other one a nephew. The only difference was the christian name of the father. If I remember rightly,the name given by the nephew was the correct one!
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline Anni B

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 26 July 09 01:09 BST (UK) »
Thanks John and fist
It just seems so unnecessary - like a throwback to the days of informing the parish church.  Still a bit of a mystery as to why the birth was re-registered in Contin rather than the parents' district of Urray.  There was talk in this family of a cousin born on the same day being in fact a twin sibling and I wondered if there was an attempt to cover something up but it looks like it will remain a mystery!
Anne