Author Topic: Ireland  (Read 9039 times)

Offline pinkthistle1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Ireland
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 25 July 09 18:59 BST (UK) »
Sorry i didnt read which area they married, but if he died as she gave birth chances are she would have applied for poor relief..thats where ive found most of mine after a death of a spouse.
Areas: Moneymore, Magherafelt, Donegal, to Glasgow
Names: Moran, Gallagher, Mcgettigan

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 25 July 09 19:22 BST (UK) »
That's a great idea Pinkthistle  :) The family lived in Glasgow and this is where Lemonstaw lives so the Mitchell Library would be a great place to search and see whether there could be anything for the family.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lemonstaw

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 25 July 09 23:08 BST (UK) »
Hi guys

Thanks for the lastest bit of information, can you only get poor relief records from the library?

Offline pinkthistle1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 25 July 09 23:31 BST (UK) »
Which area were they from? Alot of them are on line then the mitchell can show you the originals and you can order copies...i was there last month (for the first time) and was lucky enough to not only find my womans poor relief application but that of her 'husbands' real wife  :o with a letter from a 3rd woman saying she had been with him 12 years :o :o
That led me to the fact he had been put in an asylum where he subsequently died but that in turn led to a trial paper and a photo of him!!! The asylum had taken a photo to identify him and he had been jailed for attempted murder of the real wife!!! This was all in the space of about 3 hours...brilliant stuff.

Offline lemonstaw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 25 July 09 23:41 BST (UK) »
Which area were they from? Alot of them are on line then the mitchell can show you the originals and you can order copies...i was there last month (for the first time) and was lucky enough to not only find my womans poor relief application but that of her 'husbands' real wife  :o with a letter from a 3rd woman saying she had been with him 12 years :o :o
That led me to the fact he had been put in an asylum where he subsequently died but that in turn led to a trial paper and a photo of him!!! The asylum had taken a photo to identify him and he had been jailed for attempted murder of the real wife!!! This was all in the space of about 3 hours...brilliant stuff.

Glasgow area...........Blimey your story is so interesting, its amazing what you find out, some stories are so sad which was the case in one of my relatives, but yours is just great, if you dont mind me saying (3 wives and wanting to murder the first), to be able to get that sort of info is just mind blowing, well I work just round the corner from the mitchell so i will be making a trip round after work.

Offline pinkthistle1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 26 July 09 00:01 BST (UK) »
have you joined http://scotfamtree.11.forumer.com/ ?  Brilliant wee site and everyone is really friendly...it was on there i got my brickwall smashed in a few days..i didnt even know this guys name, it was the 1st 'non wife' I was looking for. I had only her death cert and her mothers name and a couple of possibles for her children as i was always told their dad was a bigamist so  I had no names to narrow down the search....literally within a week i had all 5 surnames she used  ::)..the 3 her mother used...it just went on and on...look my posts up on there same username.
Anyway everyone is really helpfull, I was actually met at the Mitchel by 3 members who showed me what to do, you will have to subscribe to tier 2 to get someone to actually go look something up for you, but its nothing and well worth it!

Offline lemonstaw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 26 July 09 00:08 BST (UK) »
have you joined http://scotfamtree.11.forumer.com/ ?  Brilliant wee site and everyone is really friendly...it was on there i got my brickwall smashed in a few days..i didnt even know this guys name, it was the 1st 'non wife' I was looking for. I had only her death cert and her mothers name and a couple of possibles for her children as i was always told their dad was a bigamist so  I had no names to narrow down the search....literally within a week i had all 5 surnames she used  ::)..the 3 her mother used...it just went on and on...look my posts up on there same username.
Anyway everyone is really helpfull, I was actually met at the Mitchel by 3 members who showed me what to do, you will have to subscribe to tier 2 to get someone to actually go look something up for you, but its nothing and well worth it!

Ive not joined yet, but i will be, its great when people go out of the way to help, ive had a fantastic response and everyone here is very helpful, im so glad ive found this site, imagine 3 people coming to meet you to show you the ropes, thats fab. Your story is great, i will be checking it out when I get registered on the other site. What amazes me is how quick people can get the info for you, when you have tried in vain for days to try and crack it.

Offline pinkthistle1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 26 July 09 00:20 BST (UK) »
Is this her death? Dont know if you already have it or not, its on Scotlands people.

1927 MCWILLIAMS MARY ANN   MURRAY F 81 POLLOKSHIELDS GLASGOW CITY/LANARK 644/18 

Offline lemonstaw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 26 July 09 00:35 BST (UK) »
Ye ive got her death certificate thanks, what im trying to find out is in which part of Ireland her and Daniel came from, i need to find out what happened to the parish records from St Johns Chapel as its been demloished.