Author Topic: Ireland  (Read 9040 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Ireland
« Reply #9 on: Friday 24 July 09 21:57 BST (UK) »
Mmmm  :-\ Doesn't bode well for Irish records. Statutory registration didn't start in Ireland until 1864 so might be difficult to find records for both the McWilliam and Murray families and the birth of Daniel and Mary Ann....never mind that we don't know as yet where they originated from!

Just something to think about, something that somebody posted the other day on the Lanarkshire board. Not sure where you are based but if you are local to Glasgow and with the name of the church that Daniel and Mary Ann married at, you might want to check whether the church's registers are available to search to see whether any note was made at the time of their marriage of where in Ireland they came from.

Monica

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 24 July 09 22:00 BST (UK) »
One other thought! Once you have the names of Daniel and Mary Ann from their marriage cert, why don't you post the details and maybe something can be found on them.

Monica

Offline lemonstaw

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 24 July 09 22:04 BST (UK) »
Im local to glasgow, i will try the Mitchell Library as they seem to hold a lot of records.

Thanks for all your help, its moved me on a good bit as i now know both are from Ireland.

:) :) :) :)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 24 July 09 22:07 BST (UK) »
Remember Catholic records are not generally available as the Church of Scotland (Presbyterian) records are. You might have to make enquiries directly at the church where they married if it is still there or within the diocese for the area.

Monica

Offline lemonstaw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 24 July 09 22:10 BST (UK) »
One other thought! Once you have the names of Daniel and Mary Ann from their marriage cert, why don't you post the details and maybe something can be found on them.

Monica

Daniel McWilliams father was Daniel McWilliams snr mother Ann or Annie think her second name is Convery or Canvery

Mary Ann Murray father was James Murray and mother was Margaret Crawford.

Do you think its ok to post here or will I post on a new one????

Mary Ann and Daniel married at St Johns Chapel, Portugal Street, Glasgow, i think the chapel has been demolished. shame

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 24 July 09 22:22 BST (UK) »
You could post on the General Ireland board for the parents with a link to this post for background.

It would also be worthwhile checking on the Scottish Censuses in case they came over with their children and you might find death certs on SP. Married women are always easier to search for because you can search with both married and maiden surnames. For example, there is one death showing for a Margaret Crawford/Murray born 1815 +/- 10yrs in Glasgow City. A word of caution as always with married women searches, you can't tell until you look at the entry which way round the names are (maiden/married).

Did both sets of parents show as alive/deceased at the time of the 1865 marriage. What were the occupations of the fathers?

Monica

Offline lemonstaw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 24 July 09 22:30 BST (UK) »
You could post on the General Ireland board for the parents with a link to this post for background.

It would also be worthwhile checking on the Scottish Censuses in case they came over with their children and you might find death certs on SP. Married women are always easier to search for because you can search with both married and maiden surnames. For example, there is one death showing for a Margaret Crawford/Murray born 1815 +/- 10yrs in Glasgow City. A word of caution as always with married women searches, you can't tell until you look at the entry which way round the names are (maiden/married).

Did both sets of parents show as alive/deceased at the time of the 1865 marriage. What were the occupations of the fathers?

Daniel McWilliams (alive) tailor
Ann (annie) deceased

James Murray (alive) im not sure of occupation its (something) labourer i think
Margaret Crawford (alive)

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 24 July 09 22:40 BST (UK) »
Not seeing anything conclusive for parents on the censuses c. 1871/81. No death on SP showing for an Ann* Con* or Can*/McWilliam* so likely this was in Ireland?

Monica

Offline lemonstaw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 24 July 09 23:36 BST (UK) »
Not seeing anything conclusive for parents on the censuses c. 1871/81. No death on SP showing for an Ann* Con* or Can*/McWilliam* so likely this was in Ireland?

Monica

Thanks again for your help is appricated, i will post my questions on the Ireland board like you said.

:) :) :)