Author Topic: [Rubbish] surname website [followed by a good one!]  (Read 3707 times)

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: [Rubbish] surname website [followed by a good one!]
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 25 July 09 18:25 BST (UK) »
National Trust site based on phone books, as far as I can see,

Not the 1881 option I suspect! ;)
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline Lydart

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 25 July 09 18:25 BST (UK) »
NT site MUCH better ... my ancestors names appear on it, whereas on the first site ... zilch !
Dorset/Wilts/Hants: Trowbridge Williams Sturney/Sturmey Prince Foyle/Foil Hoare Vincent Fripp/Frypp Triggle/Trygel Adams Hibige/Hibditch Riggs White Angel Cake 
C'wall/Devon/France/CANADA (Barkerville, B.C.): Pomeroy/Pomerai/Pomroy
Som'set: Clark(e) Fry
Durham: Law(e)
London: Hanham Poplett
Lancs/Cheshire/CANADA (Kelowna, B.C. & Sask): Stubbs Walmesley

WRITE LETTERS FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS TO TREASURE ... EMAILS DISAPPEAR !

Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline chris_49

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Father - swiving then vanishing since 1750
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 25 July 09 18:32 BST (UK) »
Not based on phone books, I now see - based on postcodes, which explains the cross-border areas. 1881 surely based on the census. Electoral registers would be better for modern ones - but they're now virtually secret, of course.
Skelcey (Skelsey Skelcy Skeley Shelsey Kelcy Skelcher) - Warks, Yorks, Lancs <br />Hancox - Warks<br />Green - Warks<br />Draper - Warks<br />Lynes - Warks<br />Hudson - Warks<br />Morris - Denbs Mont Salop <br />Davies - Cheshire, North Wales<br />Fellowes - Cheshire, Denbighshire<br />Owens - Cheshire/North Wales<br />Hicks - Cornwall<br />Lloyd and Jones (Mont)<br />Rhys/Rees (Mont)

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 25 July 09 18:41 BST (UK) »
Chris, Modern electoral registers up to 2003 (I think) give full details, since then every elector has the option to have their name removed from the public register, but it is still on the copy issued to Electoral Staff and Candidates in elections etc. I think a case can be made out for this information to be released after 50 years, ( how many people are at the same address after 50 years?) We were the longest residents in our street 1970-2007.The link to the ONS site is:http:// www.taliesin-arlein.net/names/search/php
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 25 July 09 18:46 BST (UK) »
Just checked the site: Cromar 227 instances, incidence =19645, all in Rhondda I suspect.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Steve G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Maternal Great Gran ~ Polly Burge
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 25 July 09 18:50 BST (UK) »
 Hmm. I dunno. Both maps show a far higher incidence of my Curtis's than I'd ever have imagined ~in Norfolk, that is. Equally, both show next to none in Portsmouth.

Most intriguing, to me, is the historically high concentration around Enfield in Middlesex. Again, something to store in the back of the mind, for a later, possible clue  ;)

Now I think I'll go do some more 'Real' work, on my A.com tree  :)
GAITES (Alverstoke / Bath Pre 1850)
CURTIS (Portsmouth & 1800's Berkshire).
BURGE (Dorset, Somerset and Hampshire)
HUNTLEY (Dorset, Hampshire, Sussex, 'Surroundings')

Offline chris_49

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Father - swiving then vanishing since 1750
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 25 July 09 18:51 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Roger. Link didn't work, but short URL does and from there easy to click link. Good for England/Wales/IOM as a whole but no maps.

As to Electoral Registers, there was a site that used to let you search the old ones, but either I can't find it or that facility's been withdrawn. (Should have bookmarked, I know.) One day......

I would hope for the eventual release of ERs especially from 1928 when (almost) all adults would be listed, would make up for the gap in censuses 1921-1951. After all, not many people are around who were actually adults in 1928.

Skelcey (Skelsey Skelcy Skeley Shelsey Kelcy Skelcher) - Warks, Yorks, Lancs <br />Hancox - Warks<br />Green - Warks<br />Draper - Warks<br />Lynes - Warks<br />Hudson - Warks<br />Morris - Denbs Mont Salop <br />Davies - Cheshire, North Wales<br />Fellowes - Cheshire, Denbighshire<br />Owens - Cheshire/North Wales<br />Hicks - Cornwall<br />Lloyd and Jones (Mont)<br />Rhys/Rees (Mont)

Offline youngtug

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 25 July 09 21:06 BST (UK) »
just tried Goudy on the first site and it was nonexistent, but on the national trust site it surprised me that it was highest in shetland. john.
.http://www.rootschat.com/links/05q2/   
  WILSON;-Wiltshire.
 SOUL;-Gloucestershire.
 SANSUM;-Berkshire-Wiltshire
 BASSON-BASTON;- Berkshire,- Oxfordshire.
 BRIDGES;- Wiltshire.
 DOWDESWELL;-Wiltshire,Gloucestershire
 JORDAN;- Berkshire.
 COX;- Berkshire.
 GOUDY;- Suffolk.
 CHATFIELD;-Sussex-- London
 MORGAN;-Blaenavon-Abersychan
 FISHER;- Berkshire.
 BLOMFIELD-BLOOMFIELD-BLUMFIELD;-Suffolk.
DOVE. Essex-London
YOUNG-Berkshire
ARDEN.
PINEGAR-COLLIER-HUGHES-JEFFERIES-HUNT-MOSS-FRY

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 26 July 09 15:10 BST (UK) »
When I started researching c1996 I found the surname Luffman did not go back earlier than 1798 in Lincolnshire, whilst most records of it were in Southern England, primarily according to the IGI in Wiltshire. Further research showed that the first bearer of that name in Lincolnshire, John Luffman, was a member of the Somerset Militia, which had been stationed in the market towns of Lincolnshire  in 1794 to resist a French invasion. Various militia units were stationed around the country, and particularly in coastal counties for the same purpose. Invariably the unit was not local to the area, the reason being that the authorities did not trust the locals not to fire on their officers, and thus give support to the invaders, like any other repressive regime throughout history.
Steve, bearing in mind the above, and Norfolk being an east coast county it is well worth checking which militia unit was stationed there in the 1790s and the incidence of surnames you are reesearching in that county.
Chris, Taking the two together you can certainly build up a picture on the most common surnames, also there is software available that shows surname locations in 1881, forget the name of it though.In my experience most electoral registers are available at the local library, in the case of Doncaster pre WW2, registers were available at th late lamented FRC, where are they now?