Author Topic: Advice on home children please  (Read 3148 times)

Offline tinav40

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Advice on home children please
« on: Saturday 25 July 09 17:04 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to find records on a home child who was sent to Winnipeg. I have found him on the Canadian archives web site but there is very little information on the record.
I really just wanted some advice on where to look for records of him after he arrived in Canada. I know he was sent to a farm but the children must have been sent to one central place when they arrived.
I think he was one of Louisa Birts children and he arrived in Canada in 1911.  If there is anyone who has researched the subject, I would appreciate it if you have any ideas on where he would have been sent?
Many thanks.

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
Re: Advice on home children please
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 25 July 09 20:21 BST (UK) »
Here is a link to the Home Children thread in the Canada Resources section:
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,355348.0.html

Louisa Birt's home was in Knowlton, Quebec until 1915 but the person you are looking for may not have gone there. I don't know much about home children but he may have been put on a train and sent to Manitoba as soon as he arrived. Louisa Birt's home "amalgamated" with her sister Annie McPherson's home which was later bought by Bernardos. Bernardos now hold the records for Mrs. Birt's home. You may want to contact them to see if they have a record for your person.

If you provide some information about the person you are looking for then someone here could do a look-up of the 1916 census of Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Alberta for you. If he arrived before Jun 1911 then you could try searching this free site which has the 1911 Canada census:
http://automatedgenealogy.com/index.html

If he stayed in Manitoba and married before 1929 or died before 1939 then you might find his marriage or death in the Manitoba Vital Statistics genealogy database at this link:
http://vitalstats.gov.mb.ca/Query.php
If you want to order a record from the database there are instructions at the site on how to do so. Registrations from the database cost $12(Canadian) each.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline lilybell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 25 July 09 21:24 BST (UK) »
Try this link http:freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~british home children .

You can get a search done for your home child if he or she is on the list. I believe the cost is $20.00 Canadian.

Read through Perry Snow's website perhaps he can help you.

It would be very helpful if you posted the name of the child that you are searching for on the site.

Lilybell
Harrod Essex and Kent England
McCrimmon Invernesshire  Scotland

Offline tinav40

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 26 July 09 08:28 BST (UK) »
Thank you both.
The person I am researching is my grandfather's brother. His name was Ernest Hayward ( not his real name the home he was in must have changed it). He was born in Birmingham in 1895. It appears that a lot of the family were in children's homes or industrial schools but Ernest was sent to Canada at the age of 15 as a farm labourer. He left Liverpool on 20th April 1911 on the Corsican.
It is a really long story but it was only by accident I realised he was sent to Canada I just thought he must have emigrated there after WW1. So I'm trying to put the puzzle together.
Tina

Offline tinav40

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 26 July 09 08:44 BST (UK) »
I forgot to say that I did check the 1916 census, although I didn't think he would be on it. He joined the British Army in 1915 so would have been overseas. I know he returned to Canada as in 1921 his address is given as 449 William Ave Manitoba. He was given gratuities by the Canadian Government and I have sent for this record and am just waiting to see if there is any new info on it.
Thanks again

Offline tinav40

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 26 July 09 10:35 BST (UK) »
Thanks for suggesting the 1911 census. I didn't think to look at it as he arrived in 1911 ( should have checked the month it was taken) I found him living on a farm with James Lillies, his wife and children. In Manitoba, district of MacDonald. He is listed as Ernest Haywood but I'm sure it's him.
Something else to get my teeth into.
Thanks for the advice. I will write to Barnardos and see if they can shed any more light.
 ;D Tina