Author Topic: Question regarding baptisms  (Read 988 times)

Offline cass75

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Question regarding baptisms
« on: Saturday 25 July 09 21:17 BST (UK) »
Before 1837 was it mandatory to baptise your child?  Or was it only regular churchgoers who baptised? What about after 1837? I'm wondering whether it was like it is today, where many people are not regular churchgoers and don't baptise their children.

I'm planning to visit some local archives during my holiday to have a first look at the relevant parish records and just want to find out as much as I can before I go.

Thanks

Online bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Question regarding baptisms
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 25 July 09 21:31 BST (UK) »
Most people did have their children baptised as it was proof you belonged to the parish.

Most people were churchgoers but not everyone was C of E.  If you can't find a baptism it's worth looking at non-conformist registers.

Pre 1837 marriages had to take place in a C of E church.
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 25 July 09 21:37 BST (UK) »
it may be worth bearing in mind that sometimes (quite often in my family) maybe 2,3 or 4 children would be baptised at the same time.

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 25 July 09 21:48 BST (UK) »
Prior to 1837, it was expected that you baptise your child.  However, after 1837 there was confusion for a few years: if you baptise your child there is no need to register thier birth.  So possibly in those early years - when there was no penalty if you did not register a birth - many children were baptised but not registered.  Once a financial penalty was imposed for non-registration of a birth, the situation may have changed.  But also society was becoming less rigid in its attitude to church-going.

So there are a number of factors which need to be taken into consideration. 

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lydart

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 25 July 09 22:12 BST (UK) »
Certainly in rural areas (ag.lab's !) I think families working for the 'gentry' had to conform to the gentry's rules ... and this meant going to church every Sunday, having children baptised also ... otherwise they may well have lost their jobs.   Those who didn't were often looked down on by their peers anyway, so to conform was to belong ...

Nowadays it seems to be just the opposite, sadly ...
Dorset/Wilts/Hants: Trowbridge Williams Sturney/Sturmey Prince Foyle/Foil Hoare Vincent Fripp/Frypp Triggle/Trygel Adams Hibige/Hibditch Riggs White Angel Cake 
C'wall/Devon/France/CANADA (Barkerville, B.C.): Pomeroy/Pomerai/Pomroy
Som'set: Clark(e) Fry
Durham: Law(e)
London: Hanham Poplett
Lancs/Cheshire/CANADA (Kelowna, B.C. & Sask): Stubbs Walmesley

WRITE LETTERS FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS TO TREASURE ... EMAILS DISAPPEAR !

Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk