Author Topic: help  (Read 1960 times)

Offline lemonstaw

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: help
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 26 July 09 00:22 BST (UK) »
Found the family in 1871 - children match.  He was an engineer of sorts?

385 Parliamentary Road Glasgow.

James 30 Head b Glasgow
Janet 26 wife b Kilmarnock
John son 8 b Kilmarnock
James son 6 b Kilmarnock
Jeanie daughter 4 b Kilmarnock
Elizabeth 9 mo b Kilmarnock
William Aird 24 lodger b Kilmarnock

1861 in Kilmarnock with parents, John & Jean Pringle, occupation Engine Turner

1851 he is recorded as born St Davids, Lanarkshire.  Address is Beith Railway station.

1841, family seems to be lodging with a Mary Morrison in Newton on Ayr.

Any good?  Was his father a carpenter - from marriage certificate?

Nell

Amazing information, strange thing is the lodger William Aird must be the brother of  Janet Aird, James Pringles wife, William and Janets dad was a carpenter.

Did you get this information from family search, i tried that, but nothing, as i already said to someone else i just cant seem to find anything on that website at all, i think im still not doing it right.

Great info thanks so much.

PS sorry yes his father was a joiner, did you manage to see what James Pringles mothers maiden name was, i just cant make it out.

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 26 July 09 12:13 BST (UK) »
By doing a 'parent search' on the FamilySearch website (put in the names of the parents, nothing else) I found their children.  Then I looked for them in the census after James & Janet married, using the child born just prior to the census date, since this is likely to be reasonably accurate.  The census is not on the IGI, but I used Freecen for the 1841 and 1851 (free to view the transcription).  Had to look at a subscription site for 1861 and 1871 transcriptions.

I've not seen the marriage certificate so I can't tell you what James' mother name was.  Can you post just that section of the certificate so that we can all have a look?  At the moment, no marriage is coming up on IGI, but that does not necessarily mean much.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 26 July 09 12:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Lemonstaw  :)

Have a look at this old post here on RC...looks like family  :)

www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,265832.0.html

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 26 July 09 13:12 BST (UK) »
Good find, Monica!  :)

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pinkthistle1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 26 July 09 17:52 BST (UK) »
Talk about begginers luck lemonstaw your cookin wi gas now  ;D
It would be good if youve found someone searching the same people!
Areas: Moneymore, Magherafelt, Donegal, to Glasgow
Names: Moran, Gallagher, Mcgettigan

Offline lemonstaw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 26 July 09 18:05 BST (UK) »
Hi all

cant believe this, thanks for that find its amazing, ive posted a message to the person so fingers crossed they get back to me, the funny thing is all my family know im doing this so who is this person ??? ??? ??? ??? i cant wait, it could be long lost relative.......

Offline lemonstaw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 26 July 09 18:31 BST (UK) »
By doing a 'parent search' on the FamilySearch website (put in the names of the parents, nothing else) I found their children.  Then I looked for them in the census after James & Janet married, using the child born just prior to the census date, since this is likely to be reasonably accurate.  The census is not on the IGI, but I used Freecen for the 1841 and 1851 (free to view the transcription).  Had to look at a subscription site for 1861 and 1871 transcriptions.

I've not seen the marriage certificate so I can't tell you what James' mother name was.  Can you post just that section of the certificate so that we can all have a look?  At the moment, no marriage is coming up on IGI, but that does not necessarily mean much.

Nell

Hey Little Nell

By looking at the thread that Monica found, ive found out that the name of James' mother was McWhinnie, its just amazing to think someone has already done some research, the only name that was on that persons, that ive not come across yet was the Kennedy, but no doubt it will come up sooner or later....