Author Topic: Parsons marriage lookup Guernsey  (Read 12595 times)

Offline Sue Greene

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Parsons marriage lookup Guernsey
« on: Sunday 26 July 09 01:21 BST (UK) »
Hope someone can help.
I am helping son in law with his family tree.
I have found on the census 1841 to 1891 his Parsons family.
I would like to know who the females are.
1841 census St. Peters Port, Jacob Parsons wifes Chr. name is Rachel. Jacob was born in England Rachel born Guernsey. Their first child was aged 7 on the 1841 census so born about 1834. Marriage may have been about 1830 on.
Their son Alfred Parsons is married by 1881. On this census St. Sampson his wife is Emma, their first child is aged 3, so the marriage may have been around 1875 to 1878.
Most grateful for any help
Sue Greene
New Zealand

Offline G Parsons

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Parsons marriage lookup Guernsey
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 20 September 09 02:45 BST (UK) »
Jacob Parsons born Ashill Somerset 28/12/06. 5th Child of Thomas Parsons born Kilmington 1775. Jacob married Rachel Lihou. Children Thomas Nicholas born 8/10/1833, Emma Amelia born 24/2/1836, Caroline Margurite born 2 June 1838, John Hamilton (a rather illustrious ancestor who developed the export horticultural market to London) born 21/12/1840, Edward born 19/11/1842 Helen Susan born30/3/1846, Alfred Knight (my great grandfather) 21/11/1848. I must be related to you son-in-law!

Offline Sue Greene

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 27 September 09 23:51 BST (UK) »
Jacob Parsons born Ashill Somerset 28/12/06. 5th Child of Thomas Parsons born Kilmington 1775. Jacob married Rachel Lihou. Children Thomas Nicholas born 8/10/1833, Emma Amelia born 24/2/1836, Caroline Margurite born 2 June 1838, John Hamilton (a rather illustrious ancestor who developed the export horticultural market to London) born 21/12/1840, Edward born 19/11/1842 Helen Susan born30/3/1846, Alfred Knight (my great grandfather) 21/11/1848. I must be related to you son-in-law!

I sent an email to you not sure if you had read it so thought I would copy and past to your message.
Alfred had a son Harold. He was the one that came to NZ.
Check my email sent to you with further details.
Cheers
Sue

Offline G Parsons

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 28 September 09 01:25 BST (UK) »
Sorry I was slow in replying. Yes Alfred Knight had a sons Harold, 1883 - 1947, Walter 1877 - 1964, Frank (my grandfather) 1880 - 1968 and Myra, 1891 - 1924 a nurse, died of TB. I have managed to trace the Parsons back to Kilmington Devon: James Parsons b possibly 1730s married Anne Loveridge b about 1739 in Membury, Axminster. Their 4th child was Thomas Parsons born Kilmington about 1765. He married Sarah Vile and the were the parents of Jacob. I think you know the rest from there. Let me know if you want further information and I'll try and be quicker in replying next time! Graham

Offline Sue Greene

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 28 September 09 06:32 BST (UK) »
Sorry I was slow in replying. Yes Alfred Knight had a sons Harold, 1883 - 1947, Walter 1877 - 1964, Frank (my grandfather) 1880 - 1968 and Myra, 1891 - 1924 a nurse, died of TB. I have managed to trace the Parsons back to Kilmington Devon: James Parsons b possibly 1730s married Anne Loveridge b about 1739 in Membury, Axminster. Their 4th child was Thomas Parsons born Kilmington about 1765. He married Sarah Vile and the were the parents of Jacob. I think you know the rest from there. Let me know if you want further information and I'll try and be quicker in replying next time! Graham
Hi Graham,
That's OK about the reply. Was not sure if you had received mine.
Thanks for the help.
I am sure Tom and his mum Sue would be thrilled to know they have a living realtion.
Where do you live? I would like to pass on your details to them I'm sure they would like to get in contact with you. I am only helping with the research.
Interesting that Alfred was given the middle Chr. name Knight. Wonder where that came from. Not something the family has heard off.
Regards
Sue

Offline G Parsons

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 28 September 09 23:24 BST (UK) »
It wasn't unusual in the 19th century for people to make their middle name the surname of a friend, employer, parton etc. I believe the Knight family were friends of the Jacob Parsons. I do know June and I believe I taught Christine Parsons when she was at Intermediate many years ago. There are quite a clan of Frank Parsons descendants - many now moved from Patea to be based in Wellington, and the South Island. Another branch of the Harold Parsons offspring are in the Cambridge Tauranga area.
I'm in Palmerston North 06 357 1377. Graham Parsons

Offline Sue Greene

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 28 September 09 23:40 BST (UK) »
It wasn't unusual in the 19th century for people to make their middle name the surname of a friend, employer, parton etc. I believe the Knight family were friends of the Jacob Parsons. I do know June and I believe I taught Christine Parsons when she was at Intermediate many years ago. There are quite a clan of Frank Parsons descendants - many now moved from Patea to be based in Wellington, and the South Island. Another branch of the Harold Parsons offspring are in the Cambridge Tauranga area.
I'm in Palmerston North 06 357 1377. Graham Parsons
Hi Graham,
Well the world is getting smaller, as they say.
Our daughter and Tom her partner live in Palmerston North also.
I have just rung Tom and passed on your info. to him. He will pass it onto his mum Sue I am sure she will be interested in contacting you.

I am up in Palmerston a bit these days so may even contact you myself when I get some time
Regards
Sue
Sue

Offline G Parsons

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 29 September 09 03:35 BST (UK) »
that's fine. Look forward to hearing from someone sometime.
Graham

Offline bristol170

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 09 October 09 23:00 BST (UK) »
Hi, had a few spare minutes on one of my rare visits to the Priaulx Library in St. Peter Port today.

The marriage details as recorded are as follows, taken from the Town Church register microfilms (Town Church is the main church in St. Peter Port, Guernsey)

Jacob Parsons, son of Thomas Parsons, of Ash Hill in the County of Somersetshire, and Rachel Lihou, daughter of Nicholas Lihou, of St. Peter Port, were married this 8th March 1832 by Banns.

I hope this helps a little

Andy.